• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of my suit?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, it's great to now be part of this forum.

I recently collected my first tailored suit which I used at a photographers getting some family photos. I'm really pleased with it but would like to canvass some opinion on it before I buy another one.

What do you think of my suit?

Richard

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Richard,

and welcome.

Are there more pictures? I can't see that much on this one.

Yours
GN

Reaction score
That's interesting. I actually asked them to shorten the sleeves a little as I like to show some cuff. Perhaps I went too far? I do actually have a photo from the back as I wanted to see how it cuts in at the waist (a novelty compared to the off the peg ones I'm used to!). If you double click on the photos they come up larger.

Again, let me know what you think...

tricota

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lord.J.T.Christensen
Indeed the sleves are too short, by about 1-2 cm

Still a nice looking suit...

houserichichi

Reaction score
I think it's fantastic. You COULD go with a longer sleeve by a very tiny amount but I actually think it looks rather good. There's a small fold over the mid-back you can see in the second photo but beyond that I think the cut of the suit is excellent for your frame. Who's the maker? I must shake their hand.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent cut. Personally I like the sleeves at that length, since I'm a shorter fellow and more cuff looks better.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sleeve length is certainly a personal preference (too short for my taste) but I think you did well.

And great intro pics. Would that we all could drop down to the pro's for quick comparison shots.
tongue.gif

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeve length is fine. Some like it shorter. If that is your preference so be it.

The clean fit around the back looks awfully bespoke to me. If you got that going the MTO or RTW route you would have done exceptionally well. The approach taken to structuring the shoulders rather accentuates the squareness of the shoulders and that is further exaggerated by the rope shoulder ends. However, I hope nobody tries to talk you out of the traditional English structured coat by pushing you towards A&S (gasp) et al. "Soft" tailoring gets too much praise around here.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Very nice, sleeves a touch short maybe. Great shape, no pulling. Well done. Care to share the maker?
+1

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is that V in the back where the waist was taken in normal? I can understand the stripe pattern coming togeather the way it does and that looks well done. What I'm talking about is how the material actually puckers to form a 3D V above the waist in the back.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats pretty darn good, well done.

Perhaps the sleeve pitch is off a bit, judging from the fabric bunching at the top of the sleeve.

ccffm1

Reaction score
I think the sleeve length is fine. It´s hard to tell from the pics, but you seem to have a very nice suit there. I can´t exactly remember a lot instances in which people asking for advice on fit received such favourable comments. Well done.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads