• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of my new sport jackets? (second batch...)

PianoMan99

Reaction score
So I bought all of these sport jackets off of eBay. Each of them was $25 or less. I plan to use them for purely casual use and don't really want to pay to have them altered unless it is really needed. I was wondering what you guys think of the general fit and lookof these various spork jackets. I appreciat your input.

Jacket 3:
Attachment 3801

Attachment 3802

Jacket 4:
Attachment 3803

Attachment 3804

Jacket 5:
Attachment 3805

PianoMan99

Reaction score
I am definately going to sell 5, but does anyone think I can pull off 3 and/or 4?

PianoMan99

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You probably should have just purchased one decent used jacket for the price of the 5.

Yes, I understand that. But I have a great deal of difficulty finding used sport jackets that fit me, especially on eBay, since my chest is about a 38 and my waist about a 33 yet I have broad shoulders. So I usually go for a slim fitting 40r when I get one OTR. Don't get me wrong, if I need a jacket for anything important I pay the money to get it altered. However, in this case I just want a few casual sport jackets that I can throw on and be able to pull it off. So yes, I understand that of the 5 jackets I bought none of them really fit me. However, I feel that 3 and 4 fit me the best out of the 5. Does anyone agree and think I could actually pull 3 and/or 4 off?

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that 3 & 4 seem to fit the best but I still think that the shoulders/chest area is too large, unless you will be wearing a sweater underneath. That being said, size is the biggest priority for most of us here on SF and, in other words, if it doesn't fit we won't wear it. You have similar fitting issues as many of us (add an inch to your measurements and you have my sizes) and we know it's not easy to find RTW that fits.

Do I think you can pull it off? I don't know you but the right person can pull off wearing a clown suit if he's confident enough. It's all about attitude and personality and anyone coming to this forum looking for sartorial affirmation is bound to leave either confused or alienated or both, IMO. Very rarely will you see consensus here in a "critique my outfit" thread where everyone says "good job"...even when it does happen it's usually some brokeback outfit that us regular guys would not even consider.

Best of luck and make friends with a tailor.

Rolo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by PianoMan99
Yes, I understand that. But I have a great deal of difficulty finding used sport jackets that fit me, especially on eBay, since my chest is about a 38 and my waist about a 33 yet I have broad shoulders. So I usually go for a slim fitting 40r when I get one OTR.

I don't think you're as hard to fit as you think. If these are 40Rs, you need to look at 38Rs. These jackets are way too big through the shoulders. A 38R may be just right.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd agree, the jackets are too big in the shoulders and chest, and some of them are too short in sleeve length.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What's your shoulder measurement? I think your shoulders may not be as broad as you think. Also, there are certain makers that cut jackets for broader-shouldered but slimmer bodies, and vice versa.

All of those look big. Keep in mind again, though, that most people will think they look fine.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The sleeves are not too short. However, the shoulders are too big. Unless you wish to grow your shoulders, that is a deal-breaker. Some retailers sell a size 39, but finding a used odd size for anything near $25 sounds highly unlikely.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you give your shoulder measurement, I may have something that you could use. For example I know that Chester Barrie jackets tend to have smaller shoulders, and I have at least one that might work well for your purposes... among many other things.

PianoMan99

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. And thank you for the person who commented that to everyone else (outside the SF world) will think they look fine. And thanks for asking about shoulder size. Is this just the measure around my shoulders, parallel to the ground, at their broadest point? I really wish that jackets were sold in shoulder size instead of chest size. I am keeping jackets 3 and 4 and selling all the others. Keep in mind I got jacket 3 for $11 shipped and 4 for under $20, so I figure why not. I am not going to wear them for fancy events, just when I feel like looking better than casual.

Thanks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Your shoulder measurement is across the back of your shoulders, as shown on this picture:

Measure5.jpg

Basically, where those seams would/should be, which is from your shoulder bone to the other shoulder bone.

Here.. this is a woman, but it's the same measurement.

shoulderwidthdi7.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads