• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of Jackson Pollock?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
David, if you are reading this, do you think Sam Hober could come out with a series of SF Art Ties based on the works of Pollock and Rothko?
Lawyerdad, When I was a small boy I liked Jackson Pollack, however, I don't see us moving in the direct of abstract art in the near future. However, on a more serious note I would love to be work on more printed silks. Yesterday I had a conversation on the subject of yellow/gold silk that had a black warp and how it compared to a pure yellow/gold of a printed silk. Warp yarns are the long yarns that are sort of the skeleton/framework of a silk and often they are black although they could in theory be any color. The small amount of black in a gold makes it darker. So while many gentlemen prefer the texture of a woven tie, in terms of art and true colors there is much to be said for printed silk.

Dr Gyggle

Reaction score
I saw Blue Poles in the 'flesh' in Australia and it blue me away. The Rothko room at the Tate Modern is something akin to a spiritual experience. I think to see these pieces in the flesh can make the difference to being moved or not.

Also, I though Ed Harris did a fairly convincing job of portraying him on film.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
But jazz is lyrical and musical. Pollock just seems random.
Jazz is actually the perfect analogy. If you get Thelonious Monk, if you get Charles Mingus, you probably get Jackson Pollock too. In fact the most improbably successful line I’ve ever used on a girl revolved around Pollock’s and Miles Davis’ parallel abilities to create beauty out of chaos through improvisation and through the flexibility to see mistakes as opportunities to try something new. No, seriously, it worked once, in Berlin. For what it’s worth, my tastes used to be much more in line with yours and Jon’s (as they seem to be represented in this thread and without assuming anything). Then I had some different experiences that made me view the world in a different way, and I just couldn’t relate to the romanticism of Reubens or Benny Goodman anymore. Not to take anything away from them as artists, my tastes just changed.
Originally Posted by iammatt
Anything difficult is shunned on a cultural level.
Originally Posted by j
Does that explain why most "art films" are not entertaining in the least? Does that mean that an entertaining film cannot be "art"?
Saw an interesting comment recently on the passing of Bergman and Antonioni, about how "difficult" didn't become an indicator of artisitc merit until sometime after WWII, and that cultural considerations have returned us to those times. Don't take that as a black and white statement, because of course there are exceptions. But as as a broad statement, it has some validity. Maybe my experience with art-house films is not up to snuff, but I try to seek out ones that are entertaining as well as artistic. Is the Criterion Collection considered art-housey?
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/courses/Jbutler/T340/TreasonOfImagesShadow.jpg I've always found Mark Tansey's work amusing. Bosch's "Garden of Earthly Delights" is a pretty damn entertaining painting. I've always found Bacon's Study After Velasquez's Pope Innocent X funny, although I'm not sure everyone would agree.
Anyone looking for entertaining art should check out the ICA in Boston. Someone definitely had a sense of humor in putting the collection together, particularly "karaoke wrong number” Tom

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
Lawyerdad,

When I was a small boy I liked Jackson Pollack, however, I don't see us moving in the direct of abstract art in the near future.

However, on a more serious note I would love to be work on more printed silks. Yesterday I had a conversation on the subject of yellow/gold silk that had a black warp and how it compared to a pure yellow/gold of a printed silk.

Warp yarns are the long yarns that are sort of the skeleton/framework of a silk and often they are black although they could in theory be any color. The small amount of black in a gold makes it darker.

So while many gentlemen prefer the texture of a woven tie, in terms of art and true colors there is much to be said for printed silk.

Glad to hear it, David. I will take a look. FYI, when I went to a very important meeting/interview earlier this week, it was one of your ties I built my outfit around.
smile.gif

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
Much as I like abstract expressionism and splatter style painting, Pollock seems like abstract for the sake of abstract, which gets dizzying. Its just like music thats experimental for the sake of experimental, usually it sounds terrible.

Probably also has to do with presentation. No. 31 occupying the entire wall at NYMOMA seems to just work, even though pictures of that painting alone makes my eyes bleed. There isn't nearly enough contrast in the painting its self, thus it ends up being very muddy and blurred, but add in the start white (or perhaps any other contrasting color would work), and you get an entire new piece.

Unfortunately, to enjoy any of this you have to run out the snooty "art lovers" talking about "oh, the emotion expressed at the denial of the social tendencies of man blah de blah blah blah". They're just awesome squiggles painted on far too large canvas.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02
Anyone looking for entertaining art should check out the ICA in Boston. Someone definitely had a sense of humor in putting the collection together, particularly "karaoke wrong number"

"Karaoke Wrong Number reveals the simultaneous connections and disconnections of contemporary life, where technology both assists and impedes communication."

I never knew lip-syncing with things for humor value was so profound.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiger02

Maybe my experience with art-house films is not up to snuff, but I try to seek out ones that are entertaining as well as artistic. Is the Criterion Collection considered art-housey?

Tom

Well, they have Armageddon on the listing.

Janus Films was the real art-house film distributor.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Well, they have Armageddon on the listing.

Janus Films was the real art-house film distributor.

There's quite a bit of overlap. But Armageddon? Really? Maybe I missed something there...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
23_feature_350x180.jpg

One of the greatest movies ever made, and don't you forget it!

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
One of the greatest movies ever made, and don't you forget it!

Actually, after I posted that picture I read the synopsis and some quotes from it, decided it was perfect for my mood tonight, and walked to Blockbuster. Unfortunately, they had no copies of it and I came away with Mcqueen as Thomas Crown.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Jazz is actually the perfect analogy. If you get Thelonious Monk, if you get Charles Mingus, you probably get Jackson Pollock too.
I love Monk and Mingus but I have trouble with Pollock. Maybe I need to take another look...

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Actually, after I posted that picture I read the synopsis and some quotes from it, decided it was perfect for my mood tonight, and walked to Blockbuster. Unfortunately, they had no copies of it and I came away with Mcqueen as Thomas Crown.
You are so unfamiliar with Robocop that you had to read the synopsis? How is this even possible? Thomas Crown is also servicable in a pinch, but its not really a substitute for Robocop. (but then again, not much is. Total Recall maybe) Criterion has been something of a joke to me since they released Armageddon, The Rock, and Chasing Amy. Ugh. And last time I checked, STILL no Takashi Miike or Beat Takeshi! I can see Full Metal Yakuza, Dead Or Alive, and Ichi The Killer not being very important to "cinema" as a whole, but certainly Audition, Visitor Q, Hana-Bi, and Sonantine deserve more recognition than Armageddon!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
You are so unfamiliar with Robocop that you had to read the synopsis? How is this even possible?

Thomas Crown is also servicable in a pinch, but its not really a substitute for Robocop. (but then again, not much is. Total Recall maybe)

Criterion has been something of a joke to me since they released Armageddon, The Rock, and Chasing Amy. Ugh. And last time I checked, STILL no Takashi Miike or Beat Takeshi!

I can see Full Metal Yakuza, Dead Or Alive, and Ichi The Killer not being very important to "cinema" as a whole, but certainly Audition, Visitor Q, Hana-Bi, and Sonantine deserve more recognition than Armageddon!

Is Ben Affleck an investor in the company?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads