• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of Hyundai cars?

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I've been looking for a new car for the past week or so. Mind you, I just want a workhorse everyday low maintenance car. I went to a Hyundai showroom to take a look at the Santa Fe. I don't know of anybody who actually owned a Hyundai, so I was just wondering what you guys there feel about the brand, and the vehicle.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had two - company cars. both were great for exactly two years, and then started having small problems. but, I should add, that was 7 and 5 years ago, I have heard that they are better now.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that Hyundai have improved a lot over the past five or seven years, both in terms of styling and reliability.

I can recall that their cars always aroused a "blecch" response in me - a car that you would drive if you had to, but very much an appliance car, not one that you drove because you wished to, or because it aroused your emotions.

However, nowadays their cars look considerably more attractive, and also seem to perform quite well. Certainly worth a look if you are considering an economical car.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I drove one too 7 years ago, a company car they lend me while I was searching for apartment and car at that time.

The car performed well, as a car it is ok, cheap and functional.. but nothing you'd fall in love with.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The funniest thing about Hyundai, is the fact that their quality has improved immensely, and their designs look better than previous generations. Needless to say, I was actually very impressed with the upcoming Genesis. The companies biggest fault is their name, alot of people wouldn't consider one, just due to fact that it's a Hyundai, no matter how good they are.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They've been improving by leaps and bounds with each new redesign. I would actually consider the new Sonata if I were looking to buy a WWD sedan. Has the Santa Fe been recently redesigned? If not, I probably wouldn't bother.

I'm really interested to see how the next Tiburon will turn out though. There have been photos of test mules running around, which are turbo and RWD!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had some experience with them years ago. They weren't great then, but the story seems different now. Everytime I turn around, Hyundai is eating market share from Detroit and everybody else. They've invested a lot of money in their R&D and plants. It probably wouldn't be far fetch to say that their quality is on par with Honda, and styling is slightly better on some cars, IMO. Also, you can't beat it with the 100,000 mile warranty.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they deserve the biggest turnaround award for a car company. Remember the POS Hyundai Excel from the early 90s?

Their designs as of late have often used lots of obvious styling cues from other manufacturers so one might call them uninspired however they offer great bang for the buck. When people forget their shady early 90s history they will really be serious competition for Honda and Toyota.

Condor

Reaction score
My aunt got the sante fe, fully loaded.
It rides nice and as far as I know has
held up very well (less than a year old now)

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
They've been improving by leaps and bounds with each new redesign. I would actually consider the new Sonata if I were looking to buy a WWD sedan. Has the Santa Fe been recently redesigned? If not, I probably wouldn't bother. I'm really interested to see how the next Tiburon will turn out though. There have been photos of test mules running around, which are turbo and RWD!
Yeah, I saw pictures of the possible replacement for the Tiburon, they're saying that it would be a 300 hp V8, sport coupe with RWD. The new 07 Santa Fe is actually quite attractive, I'll admit I was somewhat impressed, the first time I saw it.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Also, you can't beat it with the 100,000 mile warranty.

That is what would draw me to looking at them if I was in the market for a new, cheap car. I'd probably still spring for a Toyota or Honda, with real world resale not being there yet with Korean cars.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jeansandtshirt
That is what would draw me to looking at them if I was in the market for a new, cheap car. I'd probably still spring for a Toyota or Honda, with real world resale not being there yet with Korean cars.
Good point, the reliability has improved, but resale just isn't there yet.

LanAltec

Reaction score
I have a friend who has one. Not sure exactly the make, but its pretty old and has always run well for him. Good gass mileage too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads