What do you think of Fabio Borrelli (in blue) from TheSartorialist in GQ

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

The two of them should swap shoes.

Actually the guy on the right looks elegant. The guy on the left gets a lot of points for trying extremely hard, although he missed.

2. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Senior member

He looks like he's having a great time, his posture is natural, and he pulls it off.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

He looks like he's having a great time, his posture is natural, and he pulls it off

He pulled his socks off, nothing more[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Christofuh

Christofuh Senior member

Don't try this @ home. If your 1st name is Fabrizio, or Didier, or you reside on the Iberian peninsula - ignore the above.

5. ineffable

ineffable Senior member

The jacket looks too long and the pants are too high-waisted. I don't mind loafers with a suit, i do it all the time, and without socks. Mind you, not with a tie, but i think it could work out. imo, the suit doesn't fit what he is trying to do.

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

An interesting outfit but it would look bettr with socks.

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

The blue shirt-blue tie-blue suit combo comes off as looking extremely facile. It's a safe approach for the sartorially lazy. Those shoes without socks could look good with something else, but not with a suit. They would also need a matching belt.

His pose and expression are excellent and everything seems to fit quite well. Unfortunately, it's all quite dull.

8. demo5

demo5 Senior member

I like the suit with loafers/no socks look if you aren't in a formal situation. I will wear this sometimes on weekends. Although, I always wear loafers and frequently without socks, so maybe this is just a sartorial transgression I will be pilloried for forever.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

It looks like his top half is going to a meeting while his bottom half is on holiday. [​IMG] [​IMG]

The sockless look with a suit just looks juvenile on him.

10. chobochobo

chobochobo Rubber Chicken Dubiously Honored Moderator

To me, it's a bit silly really. That's all. If I saw that in the street, I'd probably laugh [​IMG]

PS the last time I tried to discuss a Sartorialist item, the thread got deleted by a moderator. So fingers crossed.

11. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

My eye drops at once, to the shoes, and stays there. Not good.
    Can't explain why, but a number of people involved deeply in fashion often look bad, when photographed in their own, clothes. Anna Wintour, is a horror. Tom Ford seem stuck inside open shirts, down to his stomach. Giorgio Armani is often snapped with trousers piled so deep at his ankles, that another pair of pants could be made from the excess folds. Yves Saint Laurent wore boring, business suits to his runway shows. I've noticed this with makeup artists, too . . . many of them look like escapees from sideshows.
    [​IMG]

12. dusty

dusty Senior member

Anybody else notice that the guy on the right's cuffs are completely unbuttoned?

13. jml90

jml90 Senior member

The shoes and belt in addition to not matching very well, are far too casual for a suit IMHO. Also, the hem's a little too Browne. Looks great from the waist up though.
    Seconded

14. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Yes.

Actually I like that look. He is wearing a casual suit, and I think unbuttoning sleeve buttons is just another way to wear a suit in a casual manner (and not necessarily to show off bespoke features).

The silouette of the sleeve can be changed by unbuttoning a few buttons as well. As shown in the pic, the more buttons that are unbuttoned, the more the sleeve flares out toward the cuff.

15. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Noting Mr. B.'s low rise waist, I am already anticipating a new, high rise waist line which will no doubt debut, in a few seasons. The meandering waist has long been a means to tamper with women's apparel . . . now it's happening to men's.