1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you think is the coolest car ever?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by imageWIS, May 15, 2006.

1. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

[​IMG] I think this Voisin is rather nice.
    Wow. That is unbelievably attractive, although when I think of Voisin it is 1920s racing masterpieces like the Laboratoire that come first to mind: [​IMG] I think it is is both amazing and incredibly sad that Ettore's finely crafted but mechanically crude engine boxes - solid axles at both ends, for God's sake! - get all of the press but the real genius in prewar high end French automobiledom is almost entirely ignored. Voisin was the only one of his era to have his priorities straight: first chassis, then motor. In addition, Gabriël Voisin was instrumental in the creation of the most interesting non-coachbuilt car of the prewar epoch, the monocoque chassis, FWD Citroën Traction Avant. (I realize that FWD and Traction Avant is redundant, but many likely don't.) In addition, his protege AndrÃ[​IMG] Lefèbvre was responsible for most of the engineering feats of the Citroën 2CV and DS. I found this really interesting page on Voisin and Lefèbvre recently.

2. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

You honestly think that that little Japanese box is the coolest car ever? I have trouble believing this.
    The first GT-R Skyline appeared in February 1969. Called the PGC-10 (KPGC-10 for later coupe' version) internally and as the Hakosuka among fans, it used the 2.0 L (1998 cc) S20 I6. This new engine produced 160 hp (119 kW), equal to the best sports cars of the time, and was similar to the GR8 engine used in the Nissan R380 racing car. The GT-R began as a sedan, but a 2-door coupe version was introduced in March of 1971. The cars were stripped of unnecessary equipment to be as light as possible for racing, and the cars performed well at the track. The sedan racked up 33 victories in less than two years, and the coupe stretched this to 50 through 1972. The coupe had drastically improved handling over the four door sedan, and became known as the most perfectly balanced mass produced street circuit race car up until that point. They are still considered to be the best balanced of the entire Skyline series by professional racers. This GT-R (the KPGC-10) is said to have been a rival of Mazda's third rotary engine machine, the RX-3, and it is said that the two cars performed a desperate struggle for victory at the circuits. This car was also a favorite of reckless street racers who roamed the streets at night at that time. It is claimed that the art of drifting began among Japanese racers when they purposely engaged their emergency brakes as a way to counter understeer on their (four door) GT-Rs. One such driver who was known for this was the Drift King Keiichi Tsuchiya. I would take the Skyline over anything else so far in this thread...

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

Well, Slim, that does sound like a very cool car, though I find the aesthetics rather prosaic.

If this is the car you'd choose over any other on this thread, at least you've chosen one that's reasonably accessible.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Well, Slim, that does sound like a very cool car, though I find the aesthetics rather prosaic.

If this is the car you'd choose over any other on this thread, at least you've chosen one that's reasonably accessible.

Oh I don't know... you might be suprised how rare it is to come across them. I mean, at least with the other cars in this thread, you can keep watching Barret/Jackson or something and one might eventually turn up, but I've never seen a 1971 Skyline 2000 GTR coupe in real life.

5. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

6. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

'62 250 Gto

Excellent (and very rare) choice

8. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I would take the Skyline over anything else so far in this thread...

That's because you already have something that looks like the W196 attached in-between your legs. [​IMG]

Jon.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

'62 250 Gto
    I was hesitant to mention a Ferrari, because they have so many cool cars, but the W196 is just unlike anything else. Sure, the Ferrari would bring attention on a road, but the Benz would steal he show. Plus, you know somebody would scream out: “nice Ferrari”, while driving the Benz, which would be amusing all onto its self. Jon.

10. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

That's because you already have something that looks like the W196 attached in-between your legs. [​IMG]

Jon.

True... although I think the car is slightly larger.

[​IMG]

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

True... although I think the car is slightly larger.

[​IMG]

Such class and humility [​IMG]

12. Full Canvas

Full Canvas Senior member

[​IMG]
    I think this Voisin is rather nice.

It caught us by surprise on Seventeen Mile Drive, but I saw the very same Voisin coming soon enough that I was able to pull to the verge of the road and snap the photo with my little Olympus 35mm auto focus. This was taken on the same weekend as your SuperCars website image was made on the ninteenth green alongside Stillwater Cove at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.

[​IMG]

The funny thing is that we seldom attend the Monterey/Pebble Beach events any longer. Today's enormous crowds are so nasty and disrespectful. Sadly, events such as this are only mere divertissements for many. Most attendees don't know what they're really a witness to. But, I suspect you know that to be so from your previous remarks on the general subject.

I grew up thirty-five minutes from Pebble Beach. These days, we spend August and September at our Summerhouse half-a-world away. Corsica mimics the 1960s tranquility of the Monterey Peninsula. But, as we sit on the veranda in Cargese, my wife knows (from the far away look in my eyes) that I am wondering what's going on at Laguna Seca and Pebble Beach.

13. chrysalid

chrysalid Senior member

given the choice i'd have a shiny red italian phallus over a shiny silver german one

[​IMG]

i think the brute ugliness of the lambo jarama is pretty cool

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and speaking of lambo's the muira isn't half bad

[​IMG]

coolest car of the future?...

[​IMG]

...but the coolest car ever, well that's easy:

[​IMG]

14. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

It caught us by surprise on Seventeen Mile Drive, but I saw the very same Voisin coming soon enough that I was able to pull to the verge of the road and snap the photo with my little Olympus 35mm auto focus. This was taken on the same weekend as your SuperCars website image was made on the ninteenth green alongside Stillwater Cove at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. [​IMG] The funny thing is that we seldom attend the Monterey/Pebble Beach events any longer. Today's enormous crowds are so nasty and disrespectful. Sadly, events such as this are only mere divertissements for many. Most attendees don’t know what they’re really a witness to. But, I suspect you know that to be so from your previous remarks on the general subject. I grew up thirty-five minutes from Pebble Beach. These days, we spend August and September at our Summerhouse half-a-world away. Corsica mimics the 1960s tranquility of the Monterey Peninsula. But, as we sit on the veranda in Cargese, my wife knows (from the far away look in my eyes) that I am wondering what’s going on at Laguna Seca and Pebble Beach. _____________________________________
    I think it is the same car as that Voisin was apparently a custom item by a coachbuilder therefore a unique car. As for the Pebble Beach event, it seems it's become a tourist event what with people who probably drive Kias who spend a fair amount of money to gawk at old cars they won't get.

15. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is pretty damn cool if you ask me...
    [​IMG]

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

This is pretty damn cool if you ask me... [​IMG]
    Bill, Do I go over to the Current events forum and ruin your threads? Ok, yes I do, but that’s no reason to destroy this wonderful thread with that enormous piece of fucking crap from fucking “lets ruin BMW’ Chris Bangle-Butt. He took the fantastic 328 MM and merged it with a modern Z4 (really fucking creative, btw…he’s a regular Jean Bugatti that one) to create one of the ugliest cars ever made (I thank all that is still left that’s good about humanity that it will never see production), Oh, yeah, for his ‘design’ he used some sort of industrial origami…whatever that means. All I know is that apparently using industrial origami in car design makes decent-looking cars like the Z4 really fucking ugly. I was at a BMW 8-Series owners meet on Sunday (one of them even imported a Z1 over to the US! How hard core is that?) And they all could not stop ranting and raving regarding Bangles ugly designs. Oh, here is what the 328 MM looks like, for reference: [​IMG] [​IMG] Jon. (yes, I know I used the word Fuck a lot in this post, its just that I really, really hate that car)

17. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

That is cool, regardless of what Jon thinks.

18. CTGuy

CTGuy Senior member

You're nuts Jon. That car looks pretty cool- I think you're letting your anti-Bangle venom cloud your judgment.

Also- with respect to Bangle, I was a huge fan of the 90s BMW fans. However, with a few exceptions, it is not profitable for car companies to continuously produce cars with remarkably similar designs each year.

I strongly disliked a lot of Bangle's designs when they first came out, but many of them are starting to grow on me. Additionally, I think in the long term the lines will gradually be softened. Stranglely enough, I also think the very high trunk stance on the Bangle-ized cars are already being emmulated by just about everyone else.

19. A Y

A Y Senior member

Bill,
    I was at a BMW 8-Series owners meet on Sunday (one of them even imported a Z1 over to the US! How hard core is that?) And they all could not stop ranting and raving regarding Bangles ugly designs.

They don't know what they're talking about. [​IMG]

--Andre

20. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

They don't know what they're talking about. [​IMG]

--Andre

Yeah...idiots.[​IMG]

Jon.