• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think about my suit?

infinity8

Reaction score
Hey folks, I had a suit tailored and I'd like to know your opinions.
29z4cn8.jpg
1zppnbs.jpg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Other than the entire suit being too short, there is not much that anybody can tell with these quality photos. Take some in better light. Oh yeah, and don't button that bottom button.

infinity8

Reaction score
I'll try to upload some better pics soon. By too short you mean the arms?
Is it way too short or just a little bit short? Is it possible to wear it like that w/o being laughed at or should I have it done?

BTW the suit is from Dave's tailor in Shanghai.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems like the entire suit is too short (length + arms). Did you get an OTR Short Length? or Regular? Or was this MTM.

You can get away with the short length of the jacket (recent/modern look, I suppose), but you definitely need to lengthen the arms.

Also, un-button the bottom button.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The arms and the bottom of the jacket is too short. You could probably take the sleeves down some, however you are stuck with the overall length the way it is. I would say it would need to come down about 2" or so. Short is sort of "in" right now so I don't think you will be laughed at, but I guess it depends on what you are wearing it for.

infinity8

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I have took my time to upload pics with better quality and top button only.
2ytxt76.jpg

de8igo.jpg

vr9d1k.jpg

CruzAzul

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it looks good. Most here on MC are vehemently opposed to shorter jackets, but I don't think we all need to go full-on traditionalist here. Sleeves do need to be a little longer, though, and I think your shirt cuffs need to be shorter (which is making it all look worse than it really is).

infinity8

Reaction score
I feel that there is some error with the rightside arm. The shirt is from the same tailor as well.
This is my first suit, and I paid about 800usd for it which makes me quit dissapointed.
Should I get in touch with the tailor and show him how it looks like?

infinity8

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Seems like the entire suit is too short (length + arms). Did you get an OTR Short Length? or Regular? Or was this MTM. You can get away with the short length of the jacket (recent/modern look, I suppose), but you definitely need to lengthen the arms. Also, un-button the bottom button.
Actually I do not understand what all these abbreviations stands for. Would you kindly explain? I never had the chance to choose size if that is what you meant. The whole process at Dave's was very stressful.

SaveMeJebus

Reaction score
Not sure about the suit, but i'd be somewhat concerned about the vortex to another dimension that seems to have opened on your face. I saw something similar in Ghostbusters 2 and it did not end up well for that guy.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He's asking if your suit was an off-the-rack (OTR) suit or whether it was made-to-measure (MTM). Based on your subsequent posts in this thread, it sounds like it was made-to-measure or bespoke, correct? The things that stand out are the long shirt sleeves and the short suit coat sleeves. Not sure if it's your stance or what, but it does look worse on your right arm than the left one. Lighter, sharper pictures would help (also from the back), also without the coat if you want people to comment on the shirt fit.
Originally Posted by cioni2k
Seems like the entire suit is too short (length + arms). Did you get an OTR Short Length? or Regular? Or was this MTM. You can get away with the short length of the jacket (recent/modern look, I suppose), but you definitely need to lengthen the arms. Also, un-button the bottom button.
Originally Posted by infinity8
Actually I do not understand what all these abbreviations stands for. Would you kindly explain? I never had the chance to choose size if that is what you meant. The whole process at Dave's was very stressful.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think the suit is a really nice fit! Yes, the sleeves need another inch! The suit could be a little longer, especially if your butt is showing, but like someone else said, it's all taste. Like thin vs. fat tie/lapels. People get so violent about it, but at the end of the day, it's only material. As long as it's well made, it doesn't matter too much (unless you're talking proportions)!

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bring it back and have the tailor lengthen the sleeves a bit. The rest is fine.

infinity8

Reaction score
Well, the tailor is in Shanghai and I am currently in Europe.

However I've sent them an email waiting for their reply on this matter. I hope they will cover the freight back and forth.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by infinity8
Well, the tailor is in Shanghai and I am currently in Europe.

However I've sent them an email waiting for their reply on this matter. I hope they will cover the freight back and forth.

A local tailor can lengthen the sleeves.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads