Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What do you suppose the median income of Styleform members is?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by OinkBoink, Dec 19, 2011.

1. OinkBoink

OinkBoink Senior member

I was genuinely curious. I make okay money, but not even hut-dwelling Afghanis would ever confuse me as wealthy by any means. But it seems like $2,000 suits are regarded as commoners' wear here. To me that's a bit crazy, unless you make about $5 million/year and have a net worth at least around $20 million.

2. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Houses for courses...

Some people spend 50000 dollars on a car and I fond that crazy even if my wardrobe is more than that...

Different people different dreams...

Some go on holidays in 5 star hotels, go out all the time and so on..

Who are we to judge?

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bear in mind, for some of our posters, clothing is a primary hobby. A lot of guys who'd balk at $200 shoes are fine with dropping that much on a single Friday night out. Or they see no problem in spending $800 on an iPad or $10,000 on a bike. We all have different spending priorities. Also, this is SF: Many of the $2k suits you see talked about are being bought at 75 percent off.

4. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

If we're talking household income, it's incredibly easy to believe.

5. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

For some people , like me, it is their primary passion but we're not the majority.

6. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

enlighten youself

7. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

It looks like you got sucked into talking about money.

Welcome.

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

"Commoner" is an unfortunate term. Its implication of ubiquity is also a tad scary.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

9. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

:facepalm:

I don't know which threads you are reading, but I see plenty of threads advising people on a tight budget to shop Joseph A. Banks and focus on getting a good fit. True "SF-approved" brands are available in the range of $500-1,000 (e.g. Brooks Brothers). And I'm sorry, but you don't need to be a millionaire to buy a suit in that price range - that is just a load of crap. My very blue-collar parents bought me a $500 J. Press suit for job interviews 13 years ago, because in my father's non-millionaire mind it was better to have one decent suit than 3 crappy ones. Turns out he was right - that suit has survived countless $200 (pre-SF) suits and is still my favorite.

I have never seen anyone here suggest that dropping $2,000 on a suit is chump change, unless it is in a thread in which a troll is making an outrageous claim about bespoke suits from Saville Row or something like that, and someone is trying to disabuse them of whatever mistaken notion they have gotten into their head about what a bespoke suit from such a place costs.

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

The dudes on here who do view $2,000 suits as "chump change" would certainly never say that. They'd post pictures... :foo:

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Was my earlier excitement not palpable? I can devote only so much of my energy to combating the menace of slippery Aldens and appreciating AEs.

I keep checking back in hopes that specific earnings lists have been compiled. Someone should get on that -- a sticky in the making.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Learning how to walk while wearing shoes is not easy for everyone, you know.

Before criticizing a man, walk a mile in his slippery shoes

13. otc

otc Senior member

Not sure why on earth I am posting in this thread...

At the household level it is not even questionable....a lot of married people here and a very high percentage of 2-earner households are over 100k (wikipedia puts it at 18% of households).

Even on the individual level (which I think is the real question), you have to look at the demographics of the site. The country average is less (maybe 5-6% over 100k) but if you start concentrating on the urban centers that most SF posters come from, it starts to look better--lot of SF posters from places like NYC where salaries like that are a lot more common.
    Then you look at the sort of people who join this site--a lot of professionals and people who have to wear suits and nice shoes (that is probably how they first googled their way on to SF). Median income of someone with a professional degree is something like 100k.
    Then you remove large chunks of the lower-earning demographics; we have a bunch of students who aren't yet wage-earners, but I don't see many SF posters who work at mcdonalds or complain about their rough day at the auto plant--people in those groups probably aren't interested in SF's content.

14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

In good taste as ever...

15. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Median income of someone with a professional degree is something like 100k.

Um... no. It really depends on the field and if the degree holder is practicing in said field.