• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you shave with?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished shaving myself with the a massive Wilkinson sword device with four blades on one end and an electrical shaver on the other end, like something from a self-harmers wet dream.
It was terrible, I remembered the Wilkinson quatro as being decent, but having just re-tried it I clearly remebered wrong. Usually I use a Gillette mach three and shave as infrequently as possible, if not for the fact I quickly grow a peadotach I would probably just grow a beard and be done with it.

So are old school safety razors all they are cracked up to be?
If not what "regular" razor do people find is best?
I try to have a hot shower/hot flannel first, and use proper shaving cream, I find this all helps any top tips?
Honestly, after who knows how many thousands of years shaving you would think we would have it cracked by now.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
find the badger and blade website and you'll receive all the answers you want.

huy

Reaction score
I currently shave with a safety razor and it has been about 6 months since I started it. The novelty of safety razors wore off after about 3 months but I haven't switched back mostly due to the high cost of cartridges. Give it a try though, it is cheap to get started and if you don't like it you can sell it back close to your cost.

The most important thing with shaving is good prep and good shaving cream/soap. Some good quality cream will last a very long time and give you a great shave no matter what shaver you use.

mikej77

Reaction score
A bowie knife, just like crocodile dundee.

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Been using a Merkur HD for a few months. Still experimenting with blades.

imhotep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
Honestly, after who knows how many thousands of years shaving you would think we would have it cracked by now.

I believe it has been figured out

1 - straight blade
2 - safety razor
3 - cartridge razor
4 - disposable razor

in decreasing shave quality, and increasing convenience

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a Merkur safety razor but when I went to buy they were sold out all over the net. I wouldn't recommend doing a straight razor yourself.

JoshC

Reaction score
I've been happy using a Merkur Futur for the last 3 years.

hamish5178

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
I'm looking to buy a Merkur safety razor but when I went to buy they were sold out all over the net. I wouldn't recommend doing a straight razor yourself.

Amazon always has many models in stock.

I got a merkur for christmas and switched from my schick fusion thingy.

No more in-grown hairs! My hair is really curly so this used to be a real problem for me.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Disagree with straight blades giving you the best shave.

I've been using a Gillette 'Fat Boy' from 1961 that I picked up on ebay, together with Derby blades (bought the blade sampler from, I think, West Coast Shaving).

Have been using soaps and creams from C&E and Taylors that work extremely well.

Novelty has worn off as someone else has mentioned so I mostly use creams now cause you can whip up a lather in no time at all.

Have even been trying to train myself to do my head with the safety razor so that I can ditch the cartridges once and for all.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I switched to a straight from a Merkur HD just because I wanted to be completely self-sufficient. The learning curve takes longer since there are more variables you control, but in two years I've never wanted to go back to shaving with anything else.

theincumbent

Reaction score
Merkur DE Classic "C", Merkur Blades, Mama Bear's Shaving Soaps and Aftershave.

I'm enticed by Thomas's mention of being self- sufficient, but the learning curve still scares me off.

Next year.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a Badger hair brush, cream, a merkur HD and derby blades. It was cool at the beginning but the routine can be rather cumbersome, but enjoyable at times. It's cool and all but I can shave with a disposable and a can of cream in about 1/20th of the time compared to my DE and get a shave that is just as good if not better.

I would like to try a straight though...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a moderate to light beard and have been looking at Merkur, which one should I get?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The HD will suit you just fine. No need to splurge on a crazy razor. technique > razor. There will be much to get used to when you first get started like :

Making a good lather with the brush
Blade angle
Blade stroke
and more

A good quality lather can be the difference between and a great shave and a bloody face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads