1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you shave with?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by ysc, Feb 16, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

So I received my new razor and took it out for a method shave spin.

My method: put lather on, shave, rinse off when finished. How the hell can there be a dozen forums for something so bloody simple?

lefty

2. swarley

swarley Member

Mach 3, Aveeno shaving cream and I shave in the shower. With and against the grain.

3. unrated

unrated Senior member

Received my Merkur HD with derby blades. There is definitely a learning curve to it but I find it more enjoyable than using my Norelco electric.

4. magels

magels Member

I still use my mach3... is it any difference from the fusion?

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

So I received my new razor and took it out for a method shave spin. My method: put lather on, shave, rinse off when finished. How the hell can there be a dozen forums for something so bloody simple? lefty
    easy: Acquisition Disorders. First you get a razor and blades. Then you read someone rave about another razor, and different blades. They're fairly inexpensive, everyone has a collection - and they've been at it a while and it's the norm - so you pick up a few more. Soon you have a herd of razors and a bunch of blades. Then you turn to soaps. Some are soap guys, some are cream guys, others rotate and are seasonal. Some swear by English tallow soaps, some go for French milled soaps, shea butter blends, glycerin/clay formulas, and different scents, too!!! So you try a few and a few more, and guys are off-loading their soaps all the time, so soon you have a drawer or a cabinet of soaps and creams. Then you hear the whispers...straight razors...shhh. scary, those things. Sneeze, and you've lost an ear. Old School at its finest. Nothing between the blade and a smooth face. ...Here's one on the board, pretty reasonable. You send your funds via paypal and now have a gleaming weapon of beardly destruction. Maybe it works for you, maybe you wish it were more...substantial. You get a bigger one. You hear about grinds: hollow, quarter-hollow, wedge. Different steels: Sheffield, Solingen, Japanese. Old makers, long-lost pieces of history in your hands. You find a deal on ebay, it's dull - how do I sharpen this? Hones, strops, pastes, powders...it's sharp enough, right? It's rickety? How do I fix this so it's beautiful? At least, that's how it went for me. I don't post on those boards like I used to, though. Two drawers-full is my limit.

6. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

^
    Exactly right. Started using a brush and soap-with a fusion-a year ago. Then I bought one straight. Now I have roughly 30 of them. In fact, I just purchased an Otto Deutsch Hans on Ebay this evening.

I also have two brushes and over a half dozen soaps and creams. Very addictive and like clothing, it's quite a bit of fun.

No more purchases for a while though...at least I hope.

7. chas

chas Senior member

Prep:
    TOB Rose Cream or Poraso or Wool Fat Soap
    Art of shaving silver tip travel brush

Razor/blades:
    Merkur Progress
    Derby Blades

Thayers rose witch hazel
    Poraso after shave or Royall Mandarain

8. JonHecht

JonHecht Senior member

Mach3 Fusion with The Body Shop Maca Root Shave Cream. With the grain then against the grain if I am meeting a girl.

9. RCG Tiburon

RCG Tiburon Senior member

I knew it was "Method Shaving" before I clicked the link. And no, I've not tried it: too complicated and too much stuff to buy, and I'm not at all certain that - after all that - my results will be any better. No thanx.

Everything I've read says the shave is superlative, but if you're already getting damn fine shaves (or better) with your normal method I wouldn't switch.

Feather Portable (Gillette Ball-end Tech clone)
    Derby blades
    Williams mug soap
    Burma Shave boar brush

love that citronella [​IMG]

10. unrated

unrated Senior member

I'm having problems under my chin and just under the jaw line shaving with a merkur 34c, any tips on how I can reach those areas?

11. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

People often overthink and overcomplicate this.

I have sensitive but also clear and normal skin.

I use this:

[​IMG]

I shave dry - no cream or anything, no water. No irritation or razor burn either. Takes 3-5 minutes and I'm done. Don't even need aftershave.

Welcome to the 21st century, gentlemen.

12. onlinematt

onlinematt Senior member

water and gillette

Bejeezus. That's gotta hurt. [​IMG]

Red Israeli blades
    Truefitt & Hill Grafton soap
    Merkur 34C stick

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

So I received my new razor and took it out for a method shave spin. My method: put lather on, shave, rinse off when finished. How the hell can there be a dozen forums for something so bloody simple? lefty
    How'd you like the 38c and what blades did you end up getting?

14. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

People often overthink and overcomplicate this.

I have sensitive but also clear and normal skin.

I use this:

I shave dry - no cream or anything, no water. No irritation or razor burn either. Takes 3-5 minutes and I'm done. Don't even need aftershave.

Welcome to the 21st century, gentlemen.

I tried one of those and got some hellacious ingrown hairs. I mean, my face was smooth and I totally see the appeal, but digging out ingrowns is 1) painful, and b) time-consuming, more so that the blade and brush.

15. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I tried one of those and got some hellacious ingrown hairs. I mean, my face was smooth and I totally see the appeal, but digging out ingrowns is 1) painful, and b) time-consuming, more so that the blade and brush.
    Interesting, I don't think I've ever had an ingrown hair on my face. Weird. Different skin types or something I guess. By the way, it may also be this particular model - I've tried something different before, one of those triple circular things, and it totally sucked and hurt.

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

How'd you like the 38c and what blades did you end up getting?

So far so good.

I like the weight and length and use three fingers on the handle with my little finger supporting the bottom. Close shave with two passes and some touch ups. I did buy a blade sampler pack but popped in the blade supplied with the razor and it works fine.

lefty

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

easy: Acquisition Disorders. First you get a razor and blades. Then you read someone rave about another razor, and different blades. They're fairly inexpensive, everyone has a collection - and they've been at it a while and it's the norm - so you pick up a few more. Soon you have a herd of razors and a bunch of blades.

Then you turn to soaps. Some are soap guys, some are cream guys, others rotate and are seasonal. Some swear by English tallow soaps, some go for French milled soaps, shea butter blends, glycerin/clay formulas, and different scents, too!!! So you try a few and a few more, and guys are off-loading their soaps all the time, so soon you have a drawer or a cabinet of soaps and creams.

Then you hear the whispers...straight razors...shhh. scary, those things. Sneeze, and you've lost an ear. Old School at its finest. Nothing between the blade and a smooth face. ...Here's one on the board, pretty reasonable. You send your funds via paypal and now have a gleaming weapon of beardly destruction. Maybe it works for you, maybe you wish it were more...substantial. You get a bigger one. You hear about grinds: hollow, quarter-hollow, wedge. Different steels: Sheffield, Solingen, Japanese. Old makers, long-lost pieces of history in your hands. You find a deal on ebay, it's dull - how do I sharpen this? Hones, strops, pastes, powders...it's sharp enough, right? It's rickety? How do I fix this so it's beautiful?

At least, that's how it went for me. I don't post on those boards like I used to, though. Two drawers-full is my limit.

I could see collecting old straight and safety razors, but the "how to" advice is complicating the hell out of one of the simpler acts of getting ready in the morning. They're just so damned earnest - Shave of the Day - WTF? I wonder what their fathers would think.

I'm tempted to join just to ask about the best balm for a freshly shorn scrotum, but I think it would shock their ishave/igent hearts. And I don't have the heart to do that.

lefty

18. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I could see collecting old straight and safety razors, but the "how to" advice is complicating the hell out of one of the simpler acts of getting ready in the morning. They're just so damned earnest - Shave of the Day - WTF? I wonder what their fathers would think.

I'm tempted to join just to ask about the best balm for a freshly shorn scrotum, but I think it would shock their ishave/igent hearts. And I don't have the heart to do that.

lefty

If you posted said question on SRP, you'd probably get a chuckle. Post that on B&B and you would crash the server, such would be the howls of outrage.

19. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

If you posted said question on SRP, you'd probably get a chuckle. Post that on B&B and you would crash the server, such would be the howls of outrage.
    [​IMG]

20. eep

eep New Member

Been using a brush/cream for about a month with my Mach 3 and have really enjoyed it. Just ordered a Merkur.