1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What do you shave with?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by ysc, Feb 16, 2009.

1. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

. . . I'd grip it with my fingertips and let the weight of the head do the work.

That's what she said. [​IMG]

Seriously, though, it works great. Handle isn't too short, has a nice heft to it. Shaves well.

2. lefty

lefty Senior member

Fair enough. I'll give the long handle a shot and see how I go.

lefty

3. Despos

Despos Senior member

Shave after shower with Castle Forbes Shaving Cream, Lime. Fusion Power.

The Castle Forbes is expensive but works better than anything else tried. Mostly compared with Trumper and Truefitt branded stuff. One tub lasts me almost 2 years. It is a great company. Owner developed the products as a result of not being satisfied of what was available. He did tons of research & experimenting to get the results, excellent products.

Need to start using an aftershave.

Might try a Merkur at some point.

4. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

[​IMG]

10 times better than all that expensive stuff.

5. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

[​IMG]

10 times better than all that expensive stuff.

Proraso for C.O. Bigelow at Bath & Body Works

$10 for a huge tube. menthol and eucalyptus. lathers up thick and slick with or without a brush.

and a merkur hd with red pack israeli personna blades from west coast shaving. $0.12 a blade. not too shabby.

6. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

Wait - what? What are you going with?

FWIW - I was in London last week and considered stopping in at Trumper's (on Jermyn), Truefitt, and Harris (on St. James), but they had all closed by the time I toodled to their neck of the woods, and it wasn't THAT big a priority. Also walked right by Penhaligon's and didn't stop. ...What is wrong with me?

I would be curious to see if they had any English Fern pucks left...everyone seems to be out

7. ginlimetonic

ginlimetonic Senior member

[/b]

I would be curious to see if they had any English Fern pucks left...everyone seems to be out

shaving foam taken from ritz carlton bathrooms. I shave once a week cuz i'm in my early twenties, and the free toiletries have been lasting me ages.

Should i buy a electric razor like Braun 360? I know it doesn't give as clean a shave as a trad. razor, but what else is different? does the stubble grow back quicker and thicker using a trad. razor?

8. mtsoccer4

mtsoccer4 Senior member

The electric razor kept me clean in high school and even into college. I recommend it if you don't shave so often; it just really sucks when you go to Target or Walmart to get replacement blades and realize you have to shell out $30. Probably works out to be the same cost as cartridges, but you can handle $5 at a time, can't you?

I went with Norelco brand shavers. You can get a good quality shaver for less than $100, even as low as $40. Forget the badger fur stuff; it's antiquated.

9. haganah

haganah Senior member

Any recommendations for a complete set? I saw a merkur set that looked cool with the brush but it was sold out. I also some some rooney sets with what looked like horn handles that looked nicer than the merkurs.

10. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

Any recommendations for a complete set? I saw a merkur set that looked cool with the brush but it was sold out. I also some some rooney sets with what looked like horn handles that looked nicer than the merkurs.
    I got my razor and brush separately from knife center, but I got a double edge razor and then later got a best badger brush from QED. I assume you mean a cartridge razor and brush set since you mentioned horn handles since all the double edge razors and brushes tend to be made by different companies. Either way, check out www.badgerandblade.com for more opinions. They have really good reviews.

11. lefty

lefty Senior member

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

"Quadrant."

"North/south line."

"Refreshing the manifold."

"Free form reduction model."

This guy makes me want to go back to my Trac II.

http://www.shaving101.com/index.php/...to-finish.html

lefty

I knew it was "Method Shaving" before I clicked the link. And no, I've not tried it: too complicated and too much stuff to buy, and I'm not at all certain that - after all that - my results will be any better. No thanx.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

I got through most of it. The guy is a pitchman and pissed me off the more I watched.

My guess is that if I kept adding lubricant to my face and took any razor to it for 300 strokes or so, it would end up pretty smooth.

lefty

14. Our_Benefactors

Our_Benefactors Well-Known Member

So I shave with an electric gilette fusion and edge gel. My face is always smooth and nice right after the shave, but about a day later it gets red among around all my hairs and I usually break out. Any idea why this is? My (bad) solution has been to simply just not shave very often, but this is obviously less than ideal.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I got through most of it. The guy is a pitchman and pissed me off the more I watched.

My guess is that if I kept adding lubricant to my face and took any razor to it for 300 strokes or so, it would end up pretty smooth.

lefty

[​IMG]

Yeah, my patience wears thin with shaving after around five minutes.

16. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

So I shave with an electric gilette fusion and edge gel. My face is always smooth and nice right after the shave, but about a day later it gets red among around all my hairs and I usually break out. Any idea why this is? My (bad) solution has been to simply just not shave very often, but this is obviously less than ideal.

Option 1: your gel is irritating your skin. Try something else. Either a different fragrance, or a different product. Among the canned stuff I think the Aveeno was good.
    Option 2: your razor is dull and pulling the hairs in stead of cutting cleanly. Replace the blades and try again.
    Option 3: you're shaving too close and the bumps are ingrowns. If you shave against the grain (upwards), skip that. Shave with the grain (down) for the first few times to see if the redness goes away. After that you can add sideways passes if you like.

17. Token

Token Member

Same problem here. Once I switched to a safety razor, no more bumps or redness, and I could shave every day.

Token

Merkur HD
    Feather Razors
    Truefitt and Hill Ultimate Comfort

18. LexSenthur

LexSenthur Senior member

I was running low on cartiges and decided to order me up a saftey razor. I ordered a Parker Saftey Razor, should be here in a few days. I already use shaving soap and a badger brush, bout time I gave up the expensive razors.

19. joshuacc

joshuacc Member

I use wella contura trimmers. I don't really like a close shave though, nor do I need to for work.

20. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

You may have ingrown hair or an allergy to the gel. I had irritated skin due to ingrown hair when I used a Mach III and Gillette glop. The problem went away as soon as I switched to a DE razor and a decent glycerine-based cream.