What do you shave with?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by ysc, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

started shaving with a double edge razor a few weeks ago.... its amazing

Merkur HD and Moma bears soap

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

I use a Badger hair brush, cream, a merkur HD and derby blades. It was cool at the beginning but the routine can be rather cumbersome, but enjoyable at times. It's cool and all but I can shave with a disposable and a can of cream in about 1/20th of the time compared to my DE and get a shave that is just as good if not better. I would like to try a straight though...
    Same... I've really been trying to get into wetshaving (merkur HD +multi blade pack, C&E BBB, Body shop cream) but frankly when I switch back to mach 3 and can gel, I get a better and quicker shave every time with almost no risk of nicks and cuts. I've applied the techniques I learned from wetshaving and it has made a big difference. 3 shaves (WTG, XTG, ATG) and really good prep (hot towel or shower, oil, let the lather soak in) and post (cold water + balm) and it's been way better. So overall, I'm not convinced it's worth it to switch to safety razors
    heh, I was just think about the razors this morning...going from memory here... The main rotation: 7/8 Henkels Friodur (stainless, hollow ground) 15/16 Filarmonica (the last production run with the smiling blade, hollow ground) 6/8 quarter-hollow Le Grelot (Thiers-Issard regrind) 8/8 Wolstenholm wedge (ebay purchase I cleaned up - fantastic edge) 7/8 Wade & Butcher wedge (...SRP or B&B board) The rest of the herd: 5/8 Wapinecas (3) - plan on rescaling each 5/8 Weyersberg quarter-hollow 5/8 Wade & Butcher quarter-hollow that I'm still putting an edge on (ebay purchase) 5/8 Le Grelot hollow ground a few other rescale/rehone jobs that escape my recollection. Seems I gravitate towards the heavier razors...
    Wow, Thomas between your cologne knowledge and wetshaving and such, you sound like one of the most interesting guys I've encountered. (no homo) Seriously, I'm fascinated that you have such an interest and impressive knowledge of several topics. Good for you man, and thanks for sharing. What do you do for a living? (not to derail, we can take this PM if you want)

3. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

(...)
    Wow, Thomas between your cologne knowledge and wetshaving and such, you sound like one of the most interesting guys I've encountered. (no homo) Seriously, I'm fascinated that you have such an interest and impressive knowledge of several topics. Good for you man, and thanks for sharing. What do you do for a living? (not to derail, we can take this PM if you want)

Aww shucks, I just stay open to new experiences. Fortunately there's a good group of people who swap and buy/sell cologne bottles/samples, etc. I'm still finding new stuff in my drawer.

About the razors: at the time I was in Toastmasters and was up to be club president, and I thought it would cool to try a straight and see if I could master it. As with public speaking or many other skills - there's a time when your skills are rough and you suffer a bit...but with practice and thoughtful self-evaluation, you can usually pick it up pretty well. It took 30 days of shaving every day before I stopped cutting myself, and since then I've had good, fairly consistent results. My experience with the straight led to the club theme for the year (Surprise yourself!), and provided a good analogy for stretching yourself in other areas of your life.

4. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Philips Coolskin
    The number of times I used a blade on my face: 0

5. happy hooligan

happy hooligan Senior member

I thought I'd post a pic of my Silver Tipped Badger brush, by Omega.

They're great for your face and do a great job getting the soap where it need to go...

[​IMG]

as always, more pics on my blog...

6. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

Gillette 1940´s Super Speed safety razor
    Iridium Super (Russian) blade
    Rooney super badger brush
    Rotating supply of creams.

Yeah, the learning curve is a bit steep, but I´m never going back. [​IMG]

7. dv3

dv3 Senior member

I have been really enjoying Feather blades for my DE. How are the Iridium blades?

8. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

I have been really enjoying Feather blades for my DE. How are the Iridium blades?

They´ve become my "go to" blade. IMHO, they´re 90% as sharp as the Feather, but they don´t nick me and they´re nearly as smooth as the Derby or Israeli Personna. For me, they´re the best compromise between sharpness and smoothness.

9. Alter

Alter Senior member

Merkur Slant or Merkur Futura
    Feather blades

10. EnglishGent

EnglishGent Senior member

Merkur Classic with Feather Blades
    Wapi straight (only at weekends when I have a little extra time)

11. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Merkur HD
    Feather Blades
    Simpsons Silver Tip Badger Hair Brush
    Truefitt & Hill pre-shave oil
    Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood shave cream
    Geo F. Trumper's Sandalwood skin food

12. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

nancy boy shaving creme and a... mach 3 :|

id like to buy a brush

13. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Up until about three weeks ago I was using straight razors. Not sure why but thought I'd give my Mach 3 a try again (it was still part of my bowl and brush stand, had an unopened pack of blades...) and I'm not going back, I don't think.

Various Art of Shaving and Trumper's products, alum block, if needed a styptic pencil, then a moisturizer.

14. CTGuy

CTGuy Made Guy

I started doing the wetshave thing about a month ago. The novelty wears off a little after a while, but I still feel that the shave is superior. Be very careful when you start doing it and don't apply a lot of pressure or you will cut yourself worse than you can imagine.

I use an old schick safety razor I found that I think was my dad's. At this point just using CVS blades, but I will probably order some merkurs when I get around to it. I use some headslick cream and a brush I bought at CVS.

15. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Up until about three weeks ago I was using straight razors. Not sure why but thought I'd give my Mach 3 a try again (it was still part of my bowl and brush stand, had an unopened pack of blades...) and I'm not going back, I don't think.

Various Art of Shaving and Trumper's products, alum block, if needed a styptic pencil, then a moisturizer.

No kidding? I'm still on the straights, just bought a few fixer-uppers and got them shave-ready. Next, I'll make the time to re-do the scales on a few that really need the work. I do take the Mach 3 on travels, since I'm not about to chance losing a blade I've buffed and honed.

I kind of like not having to buy anything or run out of cartridges. At this rate, though, I could get by for the next 10 years without buying anything, except perhaps some witch hazel.