What do you shave with?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by ysc, Feb 16, 2009.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

Gillette Superspeeds are not adjustable. You either have a "Fatboy" adjustable, slim handled adjustable, or long black handled adjustable. If you give me the stamp on the underside of the head of the razor, I can date it for you.

2. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

What's the difference between the Merkur HD an the Futur?

3. Lel

Lel Senior member

I would love to use a straight razor but unfortunately I do not produce enough facial hair to warrant such an eccentric choice.

4. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Geo Trumper shaving cream and the Mach III.

5. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

Merkur HD here. Got a big sampler of blades from West Coat Shaving Got the C&E badger brush. For creams I use Tabac, prorasso, some of the KMF stuff from whole foods etc. Beats the hell out of my mach 3 and a can of edge gel. I like shaving now. I make a ritual out of it. Don't forget the aqua velva otherwise known as menthol awesome sauce.

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I would love to use a straight razor but unfortunately I do not produce enough facial hair to warrant such an eccentric choice.

Oh plz. Sounds like you'd do well with a full hollow blade, which gets wickedly sharp with little work.

7. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Senior member

One of the 1st things i did once I found SF was to change my shaving routine. I used to be a Foam - Mach 5 guy. Now its Art of Shaving Pre-shave oil + Trumper shaving soap + Badger Brush + Merkur HD Blade + Art of Shaving After Balm. Takes a lil longer, but what a difference in the shave and the condition of my skin.

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

The HD is more a classic DE razor design, the futur is something new. Different head geometry, and much larger and heavier.

HD:
    [​IMG]

Futur:
    [​IMG]

What's the difference between the Merkur HD an the Futur?

9. oxide

oxide Well-Known Member

merkur futur + art of shaving gel

I used a wilkinson sword DE razor for about a year before I switched to futur. Once I did.. what a change, the shave u get with it is amazing.

10. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

Put down my Futur (after a couple of years) for a Slant about 3 months ago. Cut the hell out of myself once during the first week. But there's no way I'd go back. The Slant is fast, accurate, and close. Very close. I like it with original Proraso cream and a fresh Persona blade.

11. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

I've noticed I seem to get a lot more pimples near my mouth (area where I shave) since I switched to an electric razor. I'm thinking it has to do with my skin getting cut and then infection. I guess this means i should clean the razor more and/or maybe use some aftershave.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

Also, can someone recommend a good aftershave? Preferably not too strong smelling. Thanks.

12. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Try Thayer's Medicated Super Hazel. I love that stuff. Peppermint smell, great results, reasonable price.

13. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

^ Thomas, which type/ how many straights do you use?

Straight shaving can get really addictive. in fact, it has taken the place of clothing for me-for now at least.

in the last two months i've purchased 8 straight razors ( three cheapies to practice honing on). Plus probably six or so different creams.

A year ago, it was just a fusion and a tube of kiehls.

14. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

^ Thomas, which type/ how many straights do you use?

Straight shaving can get really addictive. in fact, it has taken the place of clothing for me-for now at least.

in the last two months i've purchased 8 straight razors ( three cheapies to practice honing on). Plus probably six or so different creams.

A year ago, it was just a fusion and a tube of kiehls.

What kind of cheapies? And from where? I've manage to keep it at 3.

15. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I put a Feather blade in the other day - that bitch cuts you up and you don't even know it!