1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you shave with?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by ysc, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Classically

Classically Senior member

So are old school safety razors all they are cracked up to be?
    If not what "regular" razor do people find is best?
    I try to have a hot shower/hot flannel first, and use proper shaving cream, I find this all helps any top tips?
    Honestly, after who knows how many thousands of years shaving you would think we would have it cracked by now.

To answer your question about safety razors, yes. The old school safety live up to their reputation and are actually a lot more conducive to the SF addict than any cartridge razor or electric razor. Why? Because finding the perfect shave with a safety razor involves the intricate mixing and matching of blades, razor, and technique along with a variety of shaving cream (not gel) and shaving soap combined with the nice feel of rubbing badger hair over your face. Plus replacement blades are cheaper than replacement cartridges.

I use a Merkur classic with Derby blades, shaving cream from The Gentleman's Refinery, and a badger brush from Kent. I've been using it for about two months and I will never ever go back to cartridge razors as long as I live.

In terms of the actual process, you seem to have it down pat, just don't forget to wash your face with cold water afterwards. Though I would be willing to add that you should only shave against the grain when you have to instead of all the time.

Arguably, we did get shaving right somewhere around 1917ish with the invention of the safety razor by Gillette and later the creation of a stainless steal blade by someone who wasn't Gillette.

For more on wet shaving and safety razors:
    http://badgerandblade.com/

2. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

my 2 cents:

i use a merkur h.d. with feather blades and often shave without shaving cream at all. i have a can of old spice shave foam that was 99 cents, and i bust it out when i've gone a few days without shaving. in my experience, and i've been shaving for about 20 years, the shaving cream/gel/soap makes no difference whatsoever in terms of closeness, though some are better than others at reducing irritation.

3. Prince

Prince Senior member

I always used to have Wilkinson (3 and 4 blades) but about a year ago I switched to the cheapest, simplest razors I could get my hands on. Just 2 blades, no easy-going-strips or more of this. 3 or 4 blades was way too agressive for my skin, so I am happy with 2 blades now.

I use Nivea shaving gel btw. Afterwards Nivea after shave balm (sensitive) followed by Shisheido of course.

4. NakedYoga

NakedYoga Senior member

in my experience, and i've been shaving for about 20 years, the shaving cream/gel/soap makes no difference whatsoever in terms of closeness, though some are better than others at reducing irritation.

+1

I use a Merkur HD with Merkur blades, and I am convinced this is what makes the (very noticeable) difference in closeness. However, my neck will get very irritated with your typical aerosol can full of shave gel glop. So, I use George F. Trumper cream (either Sandalwood or Almond), and it is absolutely perfect. I did experiment with various brands of soap, but I have never been able to consistently whip up a good lather with a soap tub. I just use a big mug with the cream, and it's great.

For after-shave, I just use the Neutrogena Razor Defense Post-Shave Lotion. Works perfectly.

For those of you who use pre-shave oils, have you really been able to notice an effect? I've been tempted to try it, but have never pulled the trigger.

Oh, and for those who said they were looking for a safety razor online, I've ordered different things through Lee's Razors, and always been satisfied.

5. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

Safety razors are my preference.

I rotate between a Gillette SS adjustable, a Merkur HD, and a GEM Micromatic with either Proraso or Tabac for cream/soap with the CE brush. After shave is a splash of witch hazel and Nivea sensitive skin balm. I don't wear cologne but will occasionally substitute an old school after shave like Old Spice or Aqua Velva for the Nivea balm.

The novelty of shaving with a real razor has never left. It is a very enjoyable start to my day.

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

Gillette Superspeeds are not adjustable. You either have a "Fatboy" adjustable, slim handled adjustable, or long black handled adjustable. If you give me the stamp on the underside of the head of the razor, I can date it for you.

7. sygyzy

sygyzy Senior member

What's the difference between the Merkur HD an the Futur?

8. Lel

Lel Senior member

I would love to use a straight razor but unfortunately I do not produce enough facial hair to warrant such an eccentric choice.

9. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Geo Trumper shaving cream and the Mach III.

10. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

Merkur HD here. Got a big sampler of blades from West Coat Shaving Got the C&E badger brush. For creams I use Tabac, prorasso, some of the KMF stuff from whole foods etc. Beats the hell out of my mach 3 and a can of edge gel. I like shaving now. I make a ritual out of it. Don't forget the aqua velva otherwise known as menthol awesome sauce.

11. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I would love to use a straight razor but unfortunately I do not produce enough facial hair to warrant such an eccentric choice.

Oh plz. Sounds like you'd do well with a full hollow blade, which gets wickedly sharp with little work.

12. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Senior member

One of the 1st things i did once I found SF was to change my shaving routine. I used to be a Foam - Mach 5 guy. Now its Art of Shaving Pre-shave oil + Trumper shaving soap + Badger Brush + Merkur HD Blade + Art of Shaving After Balm. Takes a lil longer, but what a difference in the shave and the condition of my skin.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

The HD is more a classic DE razor design, the futur is something new. Different head geometry, and much larger and heavier.

HD:
    [​IMG]

Futur:
    [​IMG]

What's the difference between the Merkur HD an the Futur?

14. oxide

oxide Well-Known Member

merkur futur + art of shaving gel

I used a wilkinson sword DE razor for about a year before I switched to futur. Once I did.. what a change, the shave u get with it is amazing.

15. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

Put down my Futur (after a couple of years) for a Slant about 3 months ago. Cut the hell out of myself once during the first week. But there's no way I'd go back. The Slant is fast, accurate, and close. Very close. I like it with original Proraso cream and a fresh Persona blade.

16. turbozed

turbozed Senior member

I've noticed I seem to get a lot more pimples near my mouth (area where I shave) since I switched to an electric razor. I'm thinking it has to do with my skin getting cut and then infection. I guess this means i should clean the razor more and/or maybe use some aftershave.

I was wondering if anyone had any similar experiences.

Also, can someone recommend a good aftershave? Preferably not too strong smelling. Thanks.

17. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Try Thayer's Medicated Super Hazel. I love that stuff. Peppermint smell, great results, reasonable price.

18. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

^ Thomas, which type/ how many straights do you use?

Straight shaving can get really addictive. in fact, it has taken the place of clothing for me-for now at least.

in the last two months i've purchased 8 straight razors ( three cheapies to practice honing on). Plus probably six or so different creams.

A year ago, it was just a fusion and a tube of kiehls.

19. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

^ Thomas, which type/ how many straights do you use?

Straight shaving can get really addictive. in fact, it has taken the place of clothing for me-for now at least.

in the last two months i've purchased 8 straight razors ( three cheapies to practice honing on). Plus probably six or so different creams.

A year ago, it was just a fusion and a tube of kiehls.

What kind of cheapies? And from where? I've manage to keep it at 3.

20. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

I put a Feather blade in the other day - that bitch cuts you up and you don't even know it!