• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you shave with?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually just stumbled across badger and blade a few weeks ago. So far I've bought:

Merkur HD
Mama Bears Mint Rose merry Soap
Neiva Aftershave

Just need a brush now

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tweezers.

frown.gif

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Taylor's of Old Bond Street pre-shave oil, shaving soap and their badger brush. The soap lasts for a long time.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shave in the shower with Brave Soldier shower shave x Gilette Sensor Excel x Penhaligon's Blenheim bouquet aftershave balm.

gamblor

Reaction score
I use Zirh shaving cream followed by Rose Witch Hazel.

Of course Zirh gets mixed reviews but if you want the thickest, most artificially fresh (menthol?) cream this is the one.

busyguy7447

Reaction score
Razor: Merkur Slant although I have a Barber Pole and an Adjustable Slim I've been mixing in and out.
Cream: Lately I've been using Truefitt & Hill Grafton but I also like TOBS Eton College
Brush: Just got a Kent BK4 and that may push out my C&E BBB as the go to
Blade: Alternating between Derby and Feather

I'm also exfoliating every other day with Nivea.

Berticus

Reaction score
I've got 3 straight razors, Vulfix badger brush, Theirs Issard paddle strop, the Gentleman's Quarter Soap, Truefitt&Hill 1805 Aftershave.

I plan to get an heirloom strop, the Gentlemen's Refinery aftershave balm, Hydrolast aftershave conditioner, and more brushes.

I stepped up to the learning curve real quickly.

Classically

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
So are old school safety razors all they are cracked up to be?
If not what "regular" razor do people find is best?
I try to have a hot shower/hot flannel first, and use proper shaving cream, I find this all helps any top tips?
Honestly, after who knows how many thousands of years shaving you would think we would have it cracked by now.

To answer your question about safety razors, yes. The old school safety live up to their reputation and are actually a lot more conducive to the SF addict than any cartridge razor or electric razor. Why? Because finding the perfect shave with a safety razor involves the intricate mixing and matching of blades, razor, and technique along with a variety of shaving cream (not gel) and shaving soap combined with the nice feel of rubbing badger hair over your face. Plus replacement blades are cheaper than replacement cartridges.

I use a Merkur classic with Derby blades, shaving cream from The Gentleman's Refinery, and a badger brush from Kent. I've been using it for about two months and I will never ever go back to cartridge razors as long as I live.

In terms of the actual process, you seem to have it down pat, just don't forget to wash your face with cold water afterwards. Though I would be willing to add that you should only shave against the grain when you have to instead of all the time.

Arguably, we did get shaving right somewhere around 1917ish with the invention of the safety razor by Gillette and later the creation of a stainless steal blade by someone who wasn't Gillette.

For more on wet shaving and safety razors:
http://badgerandblade.com/

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my 2 cents:

i use a merkur h.d. with feather blades and often shave without shaving cream at all. i have a can of old spice shave foam that was 99 cents, and i bust it out when i've gone a few days without shaving. in my experience, and i've been shaving for about 20 years, the shaving cream/gel/soap makes no difference whatsoever in terms of closeness, though some are better than others at reducing irritation.

Prince

Reaction score
I always used to have Wilkinson (3 and 4 blades) but about a year ago I switched to the cheapest, simplest razors I could get my hands on. Just 2 blades, no easy-going-strips or more of this. 3 or 4 blades was way too agressive for my skin, so I am happy with 2 blades now.

I use Nivea shaving gel btw. Afterwards Nivea after shave balm (sensitive) followed by Shisheido of course.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
in my experience, and i've been shaving for about 20 years, the shaving cream/gel/soap makes no difference whatsoever in terms of closeness, though some are better than others at reducing irritation.

+1

I use a Merkur HD with Merkur blades, and I am convinced this is what makes the (very noticeable) difference in closeness. However, my neck will get very irritated with your typical aerosol can full of shave gel glop. So, I use George F. Trumper cream (either Sandalwood or Almond), and it is absolutely perfect. I did experiment with various brands of soap, but I have never been able to consistently whip up a good lather with a soap tub. I just use a big mug with the cream, and it's great.

For after-shave, I just use the Neutrogena Razor Defense Post-Shave Lotion. Works perfectly.

For those of you who use pre-shave oils, have you really been able to notice an effect? I've been tempted to try it, but have never pulled the trigger.

Oh, and for those who said they were looking for a safety razor online, I've ordered different things through Lee's Razors, and always been satisfied.

Mr T

Reaction score
Safety razors are my preference.

I rotate between a Gillette SS adjustable, a Merkur HD, and a GEM Micromatic with either Proraso or Tabac for cream/soap with the CE brush. After shave is a splash of witch hazel and Nivea sensitive skin balm. I don't wear cologne but will occasionally substitute an old school after shave like Old Spice or Aqua Velva for the Nivea balm.

The novelty of shaving with a real razor has never left. It is a very enjoyable start to my day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads