1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you shave with?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by ysc, Feb 16, 2009.

1. pauliodotnet

pauliodotnet Senior member

nancy boy shaving creme + my mach 3.

about to get a badger brush to apply.

2. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Honestly, after who knows how many thousands of years shaving you would think we would have it cracked by now.
    Here's the tool you need:

[​IMG]

3. nordicstyle

nordicstyle Senior member

nancy boy shaving creme + my mach 3.

about to get a badger brush to apply.

I have also been thinking about this, but as the "real" brushes are quite expensive, I was considering the Kent VS10 gel shaving brush just to try out how it works. Anyone have any experience with this or other brushes meant for regular shaving gel?

4. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

you can get a real badger brush from C&E for about 35 bucks. Haven't used synthetic brushes as I haven't heard much positive feedback about them.

I have a shavemac silvertip as well and though it's somewhat expensive, it's really soft on the face. next brush will be boar for me.

Straight razors do require a learning curve, but it isn't that long. the trouble actually starts when you think you know what you're doing and get careless-that's when you get cut.

Love my straights, but the are collection prone

5. nordicstyle

you can get a real badger brush from C&E for about 35 bucks. Haven't used synthetic brushes as I haven't heard much positive feedback about them.

What's C&E, and will a regular badger brush work well with general store shaving gel/cream (i.e. Gillette)?

6. fredfred

fredfred Senior member

If you dig around enough on the badger and blade site you'll find that the consensus is that a cartridge shave (atra, excel, et. al) is just as close/smooth as the double edge (DE) shaves. The choice is then made on cost (cartridge can cost more if you change often) or "pleasure" (many enjoy the merkur, etc.).

The key to a close shave is largely the preparation. I.e., hot towel, pre-shave oil/gunk/gel, etc.

7. bullethead

bullethead Senior member

What's C&E, and will a regular badger brush work well with general store shaving gel/cream (i.e. Gillette)?

crabtree & evelyn. I believe one can order them online.

wouldn't really use the above creams with a brush. Taylor of Bond St. makes some nice creams and a large tub sells for about 14bucks (in the US, at least)

While in the shower, soak the brush in a mug of hot water. when you get out, shake the excess water off. dump the water from the mug, take the brush and give a decent swirl in the cream, then swirl the brush in the mug (or bowl) for about 20 or so laps, adding just a dab of hot water.

then your'e good to go

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

No, shaving foams in a can don't work with a brush. The point of the brush is to turn your soap or cream into a foam on your face. Doing it that way is far superior to the foam in a can you just slap on your face though.

9. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Musgo Real pre-shave oil
    Santa Maria Novella Crema da Barba shaving cream, boar bristle brush
    Gillette Fusion razor ([​IMG])
    Musgo Real after-shave lotion or Santa Maria Novella Crema Pre Dopo Barba, depending on how dry I feel

10. nordicstyle

No, shaving foams in a can don't work with a brush. The point of the brush is to turn your soap or cream into a foam on your face. Doing it that way is far superior to the foam in a can you just slap on your face though.

I don't use foam. I use gel, so I massage it onto the skin with my hands. It's this process I would like to use a brush for. I'm too lazy to mix up lather from cream. If I could just get a brush I could put a small amount of gel directly on and then massage it onto my face to make the foam, that would be perfect. I think that's what the Kent brush I posted is for.

11. NattyIce

NattyIce Senior member

12. the jcs

the jcs Member

Merkur Futur + Rooney Brush + TOBS Cream

13. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

I actually just stumbled across badger and blade a few weeks ago. So far I've bought:

Merkur HD
    Mama Bears Mint Rose merry Soap
    Neiva Aftershave

Just need a brush now

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

A bowie knife, just like crocodile dundee.

boxcutter

You're both pussies. I just chip the whiskers away with a dirty rock.

15. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

16. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

I use Taylor's of Old Bond Street pre-shave oil, shaving soap and their badger brush. The soap lasts for a long time.

17. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

I shave in the shower with Brave Soldier shower shave x Gilette Sensor Excel x Penhaligon's Blenheim bouquet aftershave balm.

18. gamblor

gamblor Senior member

I use Zirh shaving cream followed by Rose Witch Hazel.

Of course Zirh gets mixed reviews but if you want the thickest, most artificially fresh (menthol?) cream this is the one.

19. busyguy7447

busyguy7447 Member

Razor: Merkur Slant although I have a Barber Pole and an Adjustable Slim I've been mixing in and out.
    Cream: Lately I've been using Truefitt & Hill Grafton but I also like TOBS Eton College
    Brush: Just got a Kent BK4 and that may push out my C&E BBB as the go to
    Blade: Alternating between Derby and Feather

I'm also exfoliating every other day with Nivea.

20. Berticus

Berticus Senior member

I've got 3 straight razors, Vulfix badger brush, Theirs Issard paddle strop, the Gentleman's Quarter Soap, Truefitt&Hill 1805 Aftershave.

I plan to get an heirloom strop, the Gentlemen's Refinery aftershave balm, Hydrolast aftershave conditioner, and more brushes.

I stepped up to the learning curve real quickly.