• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you scrimp on?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A friend uses the same piece of dental floss, tied in a loop, until it falls apart. After every use he wipes it clean and soaks it in some alcohol based solution till the following night. Depending on the gauge he says he can make it last several weeks. So, I suppose one 50m roll lasts him more than a year.
Anything approaching this level of stinginess?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I save money by not flossing.

LARon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
I save money by not flossing.

Nice.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm probably unusually obsessive about reusing paperclips. Obviously, they're dirt cheap, so it's not a money issue -- something just bugs me about the careless waste.

vanity

Reaction score
I refuse to buy anything unless I absolutely love it. If there's any doubt or wonder, I won't purchase it.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I save my money by using my parent's money instead...

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some cousins who are rich - as in mogdiniani in the dinning room, matisse in the bedroom, rich. they invited me to a christmas party a couple of years ago, and on the invitaiton it said "please bring peanut butter sandwhiches". I called, as I was a little confused, and talked to my aunts secretary, who said we should bring 50 peanut butter sandwhiches, prefereably cut into little pieces and with no crusts. anyway, they had more than 100 people there, and didn't serve any food aside from what the guests brought, and punch.

mikesduc

Reaction score
Everything but clothes and motorcycles and my kids.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Post-It tape flags.

Bouji

Reaction score
I 'scrimp' on cheap everyday things, and am far less stingey for expensive luxury things.

For example, I'll think ten times before spending five pounds on socks, or 2 pounds on toothpaste, but I won't bat an eyelid to spending 70 pounds on fresh flowers.

I never 'scrimp' when it comes to food and drink.

WN2

Reaction score
I charge my cell phone at work. Saves me several euros a year in electricity bills.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I refuse to pay parking fees unless Im in Laguna, LA, or for a 1 year parking pass at my uni.

I also avoid spending at vending machines. It might not seem like a big deal, but many people at my school buy every day. I try to drink a full glass of water regardless if I'm thirsty or not before I go out.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only fill up gas at the cheapest place in town. I used to drive maybe 10 minutes out of my way to fill up. now thers is a place on my normal route that is cheap, but I only fill up there.

I don't know if this qualifies, but I buy socks and underwear a bunch at a time, and use it until it falls appart.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads