What do you scrimp on?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Britalian, Jan 22, 2007.

1. VMan

VMan Senior member

Boxers. I don't know how those mall stores can charge $12-$18 for some cotton fabric and elastic.

I find that the Merona-brand boxers at Target work just fine and they are something like $7-10 for a 3-pack. They have held up well and come in some cool but simple designs.

2. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Boxers. I don't know how those mall stores can charge $12-$18 for some cotton fabric and elastic.

I find that the Merona-brand boxers at Target work just fine and they are something like $7-10 for a 3-pack. They have held up well and come in some cool but simple designs.

so you dont pay 50 bucks for d&g boxer briefs? [​IMG]

To be fair, some of the more expensive ones are more comfortable (I like 2xist myself), but the prices for some of them has gone way overboard.

For days i wear an undershirt, I'd really like to find something in a silk/cotton blend. I have an avon celli t-shirt that i wear under a sweater once ina while and it feels so nice next to my skin. if only all my undershirts were like that.

3. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Buy take-out as not to have to pay the tip.

4. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I buy rice, detergent, dishwashing liquid, cooking oil, ramen noodles in bulk.

5. tundrafour

tundrafour Senior member

I'll generally buy the cheapest paper towels, sponges, dish soap, toothbrushes, et cetera. I buy rice and other grains in bulk. No cable. On the rare occasion that I buy a video game, I generally wait until it's been out two or three years and get it used (recently went crazy and bought more than $150 worth of games for less than $20). Almost always cook and eat at home and bring leftovers to work for lunch.

I once thought skimping on dental floss and buying the unwaxed variety would be a good idea. I was wrong...

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

Seriously, though... the biggest things for saving have been getting a regional office apt that I can crash at if I'm at my client site late... hotel bills add up late and driving an hour home at 2 AM to come back at 6 AM is kinda stupid, buying a sorta POS 99 accord 4 cyl for commuting (~60-100k mi a year, my SL65 would hate me, and I would hate my gas bill), and buying like 20 cases of Arrowhead water from Costco. Buying bottled water at stores is just ridiculous.

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

Buying bottled water at stores is just ridiculous.

Speaking of which, I once used the same filter in my Brita for over a year.

8. SieurDeLaSalle

SieurDeLaSalle Senior member

Lately I've been scrimping on prudence, moderation and restraint. I'm spending money like a drunken sailor. What Modsquad wants, Modsquad gets.

Yes...[​IMG]

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

toilet paper
    You use both sides, eh?

I used to rely on my Gaggia when I was in DC as a way to have a great coffee and not spend out for an overpriced starbucks, but then the necessity of getting a couple of minutes outside the office mid-morning or late afternoon became well worth the $1.60 for an espresso macchiato.

10. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Don't shave every day

Returned the Gaggia to amazon so that I don't develop a coffee addiction

Hardly use AC or Heating even if it means my place is 50 degrees inside

Pur filter on my faucet

Try to never buy clothes full price (even Target)

Experiment with various additives in my gas tank to see if it improves gas mileage

charge electronics at work

Use energy efficient bulbs and electronics. (power bill was $5 in Oct, hasn't been since)

Often cut my own hair

11. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Charles Shaw

12. benecios

benecios Senior member

Holidays.I tend to holiday about 1 year in 5.When I have taken a holiday and I think to myself '2 weeks ago I had $4000 now its gone,with nothing to show for it other than a suntan' it breaks my heart.

13. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Alcohol when going out. Usually it's one stiff drink to start (Manhattan with Maker's), followed by a few light beers that I will nurse for the entire night.

Caffeine delivery system. I will splurge on the occasional vanilla latte, but it's usually a large plain coffee, skim milk, no sugar.

Public transportation. I will take three buses and walk half a mile to avoid taking a taxicab.

14. LapelQueen

LapelQueen Active Member

The ladies, unless playing for keeps.

Stationery; filch from banks, work etc.

15. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

I shave my own head, but that's more a matter of convenience than cost.

Still there is a substantial dollar difference between 15 years of haircuts and rogaine or other hair-nostrum therapy and my actual program of buying a clipper and mowing the near-cueball.

Also, if I'm not eating with others [single guy] I really don't care about food, except to be well-nourished & not starve.