1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you scrimp on?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Britalian, Jan 22, 2007.

1. JBZ

JBZ Senior member

Anyway, like I was sayin', scrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, scrimp-kabobs, scrimp creole, scrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple scrimp, lemon scrimp, coconut scrimp, pepper scrimp, scrimp soup, scrimp stew, scrimp salad, scrimp and potatoes, scrimp burger, scrimp sandwich. That- that's about it.

2. briancl

briancl Senior member

I work from home so no commute, gas, added car maintenance, etc. I cook/prepare almost all meals at home, which usually consists of just a sandwich for lunch and basic chicken, veggie, or pasta dish for dinner.

My monthly cost of living is low. Besides car expenses (which is one of my vices: Cars, Clothes, and Technology/Electronics, and Traveling), I split a few utilities, but they are cheap since I live in a brand new efficient apt, and I have my internet, cell phone, and land line expensed. No rent or mortgage, since I live with my girlfriend and she owns the place already. I carry a minimum of insurance since I'm young, healthy and have no one to support.

I travel for work about 30% of the year, and I can expense all meals, incidentals, mileage, hotels, flights, rental cars, etc. So that is when I live it up [​IMG]

I watch a lot of movies at home, for free, and I buy used books and sell them back.

I think I'm pretty frugal, but I know people much more insane about it all than me. I just try to balance it out because the things I do enjoy and spend money on are not cheap.

3. briancl

briancl Senior member

Charles Shaw

This is a good one that I forgot to mention, Three Buck Chuck.

4. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Breakfast for kids is overrated.

5. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

toilet paper

Even more savings if one uses both sides! And saving trees to boot

6. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I get free bottled water and OK coffee at work, otherwise it would be tap and coffee from my one-cup machine at home.

Low-grade gasoline.

I try very hard to make dinner, then bring leftovers into work for lunch.

When at the grocery store, there's usually one brand of any given item on sale (not that this is news). I always buy that brand. When I was in college, I used to buy going-out-of-date meat that had the "manager's special!" $2 off, but I don't do that anymore. Also, sorry DiGiorno, it's ridiculous to pay $8+ for a frozen pizza.

I buy frozen fish at Trader Joe's rather than fresh fish.

RJ Man,you reuse post-it flags? I used to work somewhere that made us do that, and reuse paper that had been printed on one side (BWE, are you saying you do that, too?). I don't think that's good for the printer, but I have no proof.

EDIT: My grandparents always reused tea bags.

7. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I reuse typewriter ribbons.

8. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I shave my own head,

I shave my own head also, wonder how many here do that. Given that I need to do it 3-4 times a week, the Gillete Mach 3, Aqua di Parma shaving toiletries bill adds up though.

The other scrimping that I am doing is getting away from expensive socks (Pantherella and the like). Gap has some cashmere blend socks (maybe 5% cashmere) in solid colors (I think about $6 a pair) which are holding up very nicely. My feet can't tell the difference between them and the $75 Bergdorf one's and their is nothing worse than having an expensive pair of socks mistakenly get added to the washer/dryer. I'm never again spending over $10 for a pair of socks.

9. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

This is a good one that I forgot to mention, Three Buck Chuck.

Two if you live in CA

10. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

NYC tap blows any of the designer bottled waters out of the water literally and figuratively.

I use 30 days unlimited MetroCard.

I walk a few extra blocks to use my bank's ATM instead of using others to avoid ATM fees.

I don't pay for parking because I know where all the free street parkings are and I am not going to tell.

I use my disposable contacts for one extra week. The manufacturers want you to throw them away earlier than necessary so you need to refill more often.

I cut off my land line 8 years ago.

11. ATM

ATM Senior member

12. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

Almost forgot... leech internet off the neighbors.

In college we'd also take a cable TV connection and connect it to a server then share that wirelessly too.

13. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I shave my own head also, wonder how many here do that.

As do I:

[​IMG]

14. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Buy condoms in bulk: http://www.myscienceproject.org/condom-prices.html [​IMG]

Actually I placed my first internet order from CondomUSA, the cheapest retailer listed in that little review. If you order more than $28, priority shipping is free. About 1/3 the price from retail.

15. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

As do I:

[​IMG]

That, good sir, is as dandy as it gets [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I shave my own head also, wonder how many here do that.

I shave my own head. I reuse the razor up to 3x before disposal.

I drink 2 Buck Chuck (Charles Shaw) for my "everyday" wine.

I only buy underwear at Marshalls and TJ Max.

I don't have a land line.

I have the cheapest cell phone plan available at Verizon and will not talk to anyone during the week before 9 pm that doesn't have Verizon.

My bank doesn't have an ATM near my apartment, so I walk to CVS and buy a pack of gum when I need cash rather than paying $4 in ATM fees.

I wear Jantzen shirts.

17. VMan

VMan Senior member

18. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Not using a condom at all is cheaper than buying condoms in bulk. [​IMG]

Only if you know where to buy diapers in bulk.

19. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

For all those without landlines... I don't have a mobile. I refuse to be raped by the Canadian "system access fees" and duopolistic structure of the wireless market here. If my grandparents and their parents got by without mobile phones... I sure as hell can too.

Oh, and +1 on reusing razors... I'll stretch a cartridge out for a month, grow stubble, and have weasles rip my face if I have to. Screw you Gillette.

20. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

Only if you know where to buy diapers in bulk.

And Valtrex.