What do you scrimp on?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Britalian, Jan 22, 2007.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

2. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

coffee beans

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

tips, duh!

Especially when dining at French Laundry, right?

Jon.

4. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I have some cousins who are rich - as in mogdiniani in the dinning room, matisse in the bedroom, rich. they invited me to a christmas party a couple of years ago, and on the invitaiton it said "please bring peanut butter sandwhiches". I called, as I was a little confused, and talked to my aunts secretary, who said we should bring 50 peanut butter sandwhiches, prefereably cut into little pieces and with no crusts. anyway, they had more than 100 people there, and didn't serve any food aside from what the guests brought, and punch.

Wow indeed. Unless you feel there's some possibility of inheritance some distant day, I'd have been inclined to tell the cousins to shove their 'invitation'. Or was it a themed party? Still mildly ridiculous by any stretch.

5. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Paper - I take from the one-sided recycling bin at the office for home use.
    Juice - if I buy a carton of juice or something, I'll usually dilute it with water.
    Transportation - bus for far distances, walk for short ones. Bike for exercise and sweaty transportation. I don't own a car, so I'll bum a ride off a friend if I have to, or rent as a last resort.
    Air travel - unless you're over 6-2, anything other than coach is for suckers and elitists.
    Dining out - I see dining out as more of a luxury, so I usually go for cheap and filling.
    Haircuts - If my hair's getting longer, I'll sometimes thin it out on the sides and shorten it for a bit with clippers to stretch out another month.
    Drinking at clubs - I'll knock back a few before I head out to any bar or club most times.

6. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Air travel - unless you're over 6-2, anything other than coach is for suckers and elitists.

If you book through Marlin Travel, you can often get business class seats with British Airways for only about $100 - $200 more than coach.

7. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

If you book through Marlin Travel, you can often get business class seats with British Airways for only about $100 - $200 more than coach.

Their coach prices must be really expensive:p

8. modsquad

modsquad Senior member

Lately I've been scrimping on prudence, moderation and restraint. I'm spending money like a drunken sailor. What Modsquad wants, Modsquad gets.

9. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Lately I've been scrimping on prudence, moderation and restraint. I'm spending money like a drunken sailor. What Modsquad wants, Modsquad gets.
    I bet Modsquad would groove for a Thick As Thieves suit from our own Get Smart. What other indulgences have you engaged in?

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I've been using the same Mach III razor cartridge for the past year or so, and I shave just about every day.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've been using the same Mach III razor cartridge for the past year or so, and I shave just about every day.

I'm pretty bad with that too.

Aside from that, there's not much I scrimp on that I can think of... socks and underwear i guess. I never have enough of either.

12. romafan

romafan Senior member

Yikes!

For me: no bottled water - tap only. Generic EV olive oil for cooking. I try and keep wine in the $9-14 range (taking into account case discounts), and will sometimes cut it w/ water, like the ancients. No organic produce. Sometimes beer on sale. C21 ties. Most books and CDs bought at discount on eBay, Strand bookstore, etc. [​IMG]

13. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I buy the economy-size "Le Chat"-brand laundry detergent.

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

I go thru about 1 cartridge/yr also without ever cutting myself. I shave about 3x/week so I'm amazed you go that long shaving everyday. Those suckers keep their sharpness hella long time. lotta bang for the buck

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored