What do you put in your flask?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by chorse123, Aug 21, 2006.

1. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I don't carry one in the summer, but I like to have one with me in the winter. Alcohol, though readily available in New York (of course) is not always available where you want it - i.e. the ramble in central park on an october sunday afternoon.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

well, first of all, unless you live in utah where there's no bars, what's the point of having a flask on you so it gets all warm. In addition, they barely carry anything so unless you have the tolerance of a puppy, I still don't see the point. I always thought of it as a little hipster trend to try and look bad ass yet old school. I'm sure all of you benefit from it, but in a place like Montreal where liquor is slightly less accessible as water, carrying around a flask is kind of strange to me. Isn't it annoying having one around too?
    One advantage might be if you go out to dinner and don't feel like spending $8 on one Jack & Coke...just bring the flask along (filled with Jack), order a Coke at the table, and just keep mixing them up discreetly, tableside. [​IMG]

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

well, first of all, unless you live in utah where there's no bars, what's the point of having a flask on you so it gets all warm.
    Whisky and brandy shouldn't be drunk cold anyway.

4. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

well, first of all, unless you live in utah where there's no bars, what's the point of having a flask on you so it gets all warm. In addition, they barely carry anything so unless you have the tolerance of a puppy, I still don't see the point.

Hey, you don't have to get drunk for it to be pleasurable. If you've never tried it, seriously, get a cheap flask for the next time you're traveling in a way that allows you to drink (so basically trains or walking). Take it on a walk through Central Park, as chorse suggested, especially around the holiday season. It's great. Think of it this way: does the fact that you can eat at a restaurant whenever you want make picnics any less enjoyable?

5. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

He sounds so fun to hang out with, doesn't he?

I have one, but I never use it. Around here there's not much to walk to and no trains, so you are stuck taking the car, and then that's just another violation to happen to be found committing. When we used to use them at football games or whatever, it was usually Crown Royal.

6. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Oh, that reminds me, football games. Good call.

7. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

He sounds so fun to hang out with, doesn't he?

I have one, but I never use it. Around here there's not much to walk to and no trains, so you are stuck taking the car, and then that's just another violation to happen to be found committing. When we used to use them at football games or whatever, it was usually Crown Royal.

J, you sound like a real "hoot" yourself.

I drink as much as anyone, so it's not as if that's not a part of my social life. I'd just buy a micky if I wanted to drink in public. I guess you guys live in very uptight places because here, you can regularly see people drinking bottles of beer on the street on the way to clubs or bars (and a lot after world cup matches this year).

8. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I too have found Johnnie Walker Black label to be surprising good for the price. if price were less of an object, I'm partial to Balvienie Portwood.

9. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

ok, what about sherry in winter? Montreal's piss fucking cold in winter, so maybe a few ounces of sherry will help the trip home.

10. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

well, first of all, unless you live in utah where there's no bars, what's the point of having a flask on you so it gets all warm. In addition, they barely carry anything so unless you have the tolerance of a puppy, I still don't see the point. I always thought of it as a little hipster trend to try and look bad ass yet old school.

I'm sure all of you benefit from it, but in a place like Montreal where liquor is slightly less accessible as water, carrying around a flask is kind of strange to me. Isn't it annoying having one around too?

While in Europe (and I guess Quebec) you can carry liquor around openly in many places, unless you live on Bourbon street, that doesn't fly in most of the US.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

ok, what about sherry in winter? Montreal's piss fucking cold in winter, so maybe a few ounces of sherry will help the trip home.
    Since you're limited in how much you can carry, you may wish to maximize alcohol content per volume.

12. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I have a half dozen in different sizes, several were made by the red army for issue to soliders. I usually put bourbon in them, for trips.

13. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

several were made by the red army for issue to soliders.

If they also have communist slogans on them in Cyrillic, I think you just blew Kent Wang's mind. [​IMG]

14. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have a half dozen in different sizes, several were made by the red army for issue to soliders. I usually put bourbon in them, for trips.
    It seems more appropriate to put vodka in those. Do they have any kind of insignia on them? I want one with just a plain hammer and sickle. I have one -- most likely a cheap repro made for tourists -- with the KGB arms which includes a star and some other symbols in addition to the hammer and sickle. The cap does have a bust of Lenin on it, though, which I rather like.

15. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

I keep Delamain Pale & Dry Grande Champagne Cognac in my flask, which I carry in my brief case at all times.

I find few problems with a stainless flask but would prefer sterling silver.