What do you own from DUNHILL?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ernest, Feb 17, 2005.

1. ernest

ernest Senior member

I guess I should buy some stuffs and sell them to Japanese tourist in Paris

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I have a Dunhill wallet that was a gift.

3. ernest

ernest Senior member

You could call me HIRO now.

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Ernest, you are all of our hero.

5. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

7-8 ties, Black Poulsen Skone Chelsea Boots

EDIT: Cool Beeker avatar

6. drljva

drljva Senior member

$40 dollars or less?. Yowsa... I've never seen them that low. I've bought several on ebay, but usually somewhere around $100. I agree with you: those are great links, and I'm surprised that they were so quickly discontinued. It's taken me a while, but I think I now have all colors/versions of the Dunhill snap links... :)

JV

7. drljva

drljva Senior member

I've got this one too. Cashmere blend, right? It's a lovely piece. Got it for next to nothing on ebay a year or so ago... :)

JV

8. drljva

drljva Senior member

In my opinion, the watches and pens (and, perhaps to a lesser extent, the cuff links) are certainly distinctive. The faceted watch face is quite distinctive. Dunhill, too, was among the first to make carbon fiber pens -- again, very distinctive looking.

JV

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I bought J his Dunhill lighter while I was in Japan. Paid full retail for it I believe - but I've never really been the kind of guy to skimp on gifts. It's pretty nice.

10. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Isn't this interesting? Three bloody pages of replies about Dunhill stuff, and not a single damn tobacco pipe--the very product on which Dunhill's fame was based. A sad commentary on the decline of pipe smoking--a gentle, philosophic and soul-satisfying practice properly performed. "A man with a pipe is at peace with the world," I like to tell people.

I suppose the day is coming when Holland & Holland and Beretta will primarily be known as clothing companies. That will not be a better day.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

Isn't holland&holland a clothes company?

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Originally Posted by JLibourel,Feb. 18 2005,18:09
    Isn't this interesting? Three bloody pages of replies about Dunhill stuff, and not a single damn tobacco pipe--the very product on which Dunhill's fame was based. A sad commentary on the decline of pipe smoking--a gentle, philosophic and soul-satisfying practice properly performed. "A man with a pipe is at peace with the world," I like to tell people. I suppose the day is coming when Holland & Holland and Beretta will primarily be known as clothing companies. That will not be a better day.
    Well they make clothes and firearms. Including the wonderful Nitro Express. http://www.hollandandholland.com/~paris/usedguns/ Jon.

13. Etruscan

Etruscan Senior member

I know I have a few Dunhill ties, all probably from Filene's Basement; the only one I can think of at the moment is a horizontally ribbed silk in solid pink that I just trotted out earlier in the week for Valentine's Day. (Though I love the color red, I hate most red ties, for whatever reason.)

There was a Dunhill shop on Newbury Street in Boston in the '80s to early '90s. Its wares never greatly appealed to me. Although the color sense was keener than that at, say, Aquascutum, the styling always seemed to me very conservative--and not in a good way. Just dullish and suburban.

14. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

H&H is a firearm company first and foremost, I'd be interested in knowing who makes there RTW.

I personally own quite a bit of dunhill, items include:

--Silver on black with black banded faceted watch. (I get positive comments on this watch every time I wear it.)

--Gray cashmere slim fit turtleneck

--Dunhill motories navy blue with baby blue stiching wool crewneck sweater

--Two pair of cufflinks; one navy, black, silver, one light blue and silver

--Several dress shirts; favorite is a gray bengal stripe with 5% lycra.

--Several ties; mostly blue but favorite is a light purple with small green boxes.

15. ernest

ernest Senior member

(ernest @ Feb. 18 2005,12:56)
    Isn't this interesting? Three bloody pages of replies about Dunhill stuff, and not a single damn tobacco pipe--the very product on which Dunhill's fame was based. A sad commentary on the decline of pipe smoking--a gentle, philosophic and soul-satisfying practice properly performed. "A man with a pipe is at peace with the world," I like to tell people. I suppose the day is coming when Holland & Holland and Beretta will primarily be known as clothing companies. That will not be a better day.
    Well they make clothes and firearms. Including the wonderful Nitro Express. http://www.hollandandholland.com/~paris/usedguns/ Jon.
    I have 2 ties form H&H. Will post a picture one day