• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you notice in clothing photographs that you do not in real life?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Art imitates rock
289582468.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
The smartly dressed man I am told wears easy entry elastic waisted trousers without underwear when he visits those places.

Is prancing into the building wearing nothing but red long johns with the drop down flap back for Carrot Room fun more Mitchell Bros., or more Bohemian Club?

I know that one costs more.

- B

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photos on WAYWT don't often show the subtle wrinkles in jackets.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Is prancing into the building wearing nothing but red long johns with the drop down flap back for Carrot Room fun more Mitchell Bros., or more Bohemian Club?

- B

I think you are looking for the Kopenhagen Room.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

- B

Is this the carrot fun you seek?
mitch.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm not sure that those are Arthur Kade 8s or 9s.

- B

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure that those are Arthur Kade 8s or 9s.

- B

Sometimes it is hard to tell. That is why they equip the patrons with large, marital aid shaped flashlights.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Sometimes it is hard to tell. That is why they equip the patrons with large, marital aid shaped flashlights.

They had those for the cheese service in the first month Gary Danko was open. Some patrons were confused and nibbled.

- B

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nexus6
Here is my 'Short List'
(I have added 'behaviour' to my response because it goes hand-in-hand with clothes.)

What You See In Real Life

• People with sheepish or tired, defeated looks on their faces, or robotic stares into nowhere.
  • 98% of men wearing ****** un-polished shoes.
  • Mis-shapen fat bodies everywhere, with no effort in clothes or diet to work with it.
  • Endless shades of grey & black in clothes ever since Blade Runner was released.
  • Teen girls with fat bellies spilling out of hip-hugger low cut pants, thinking they are 'all that'.
  • Ill-fitting clothes all around.
  • Bad Teeth or No Teeth
  • Ethnic diversity in clothing
  • Stupid people with coffee cups & eating food on crowded trains; all accidents waiting to happen.
  • Men who may have one good clothing item on, but the rest is crap.
  • Shaved heads everywear, making black men look great & white men looking like cancer patients.
  • Heavy diversity in personal clothing styles, and anyone making an effort will be noticed.
  • Idiots who wear backpacks in crowded spaces, taking up twice the space.
  • People that smell bad, reflecting zero effort in personal hygeine.
  • Better dressed older people, badly dressed youth.
  • Business-types that look like psychos wanting to kill people and not actually do business

teacha.gif

I am in Toronto on occasion -- the verisimilitude of this post is uncanny.
devil.gif

IRL I find myself observing the clothes of people most often when they are seated (across a table or desk, or next to me at a table) rather than standing, so I tend to see the top quarter moreso than the full-length that most photos show. The way a jacket folds and gathers when the subject is seated is very different than in photos of people standing. A seated subject also reveals more in terms of shirt-cuff and jacket lining than is seen in the typical photo. Texture is much easier to observe IRL than in photos, and of course the lighting is very different. Finally, smell can be, for good or ill, a factor IRL but not in (most) photos.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They had those for the cheese service in the first month Gary Danko was open. Some patrons were confused and nibbled.

- B

Have you had their caviar service? Best in Northern California.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Have you had their caviar service? Best in Northern California.

First time there: fantastic.

Next? Not.

- B

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Clothing is four dimensional.

A still photo captures just two dimensions, so barely scratches the surface of what one can appreciate in real life. It lets us see colour and to some degree, texture, but tells us relatively less about fit and almost nothing about how it "flows" and interacts with the wearer when in motion. Clothes in motion are far more interesting than still photos (and even photos taken during the person being in motion).

+1

Originally Posted by GQDerek
They love it when you grab a fistful and go ooga-booga, trust me.
- quoted for posterity!

Originally Posted by benjamin831
Photos on WAYWT don't often show the subtle wrinkles in jackets.
- depends. Crap cameras or photography, yes.. The opposite worse.. See above.
- the eye is constantly adjusting to every movement as the camera captures a moment in time there for can highlight more than expected wrinkles etc.

Back to topic:
- I look for proportions
- ease of application (fluidity)
- effortless in body posture, too many pics in WAYWRN are very rigid hence I always try & shoot in the wild or moving

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Maybe there's a gap in the market for WAYWN YouTube for a fuller impression....
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads