• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you miss from your younger days?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started playing racquetball when I was about 13 or so. Dad took me and taught me. Up through the beginning of college I played competitively (tourneys, coaches, etc.) and I really enjoyed it.

I picked up again at some point in grad school and even played for my school during my doctoral program (hey, I hadn't used up my 4 NCAA years). Then I hurt my shoulder and lost a bit of interest. Now, I have no club with courts and my shoulder is still f-ed.

I really miss it. It's almost depressing. It was a lot of fun and I met a lot of great guys playing.

How about you?

b

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- Endlessly playing sports without: cramping up, breaking something, twisting something, getting exhausted, etc.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oh, boy, what a question.

on the one hand, I love where I am at in life - love my family, my kids, my wife. I love my job. I love wearing suits and going into a 5 star hotel and seeing people scrambling to help me. I love sitting in a meeting and dealing in millions. love sitting in business class and having some hot chick in a funny hat bring me champane.

that said - I miss being young. I miss being tough, I miss having people look at me and think I look young and tough and crazy. I miss drinking all night, I miss lots and lots of meaningless sex. I miss deciding I want to shave my head and doing it. I miss bars and bar fights. I miss waking up in strange places, sometimes on the ground in somebody I don't know's garden. I miss the feeling that I am going to walk all night and then possibly shoot somebody, and he doesn't know it is going to happen yet, and I do. I miss hanging out with smelly, tired guys, who jsut came back from something dangerous, all trying to pretend that we weren't scared, and bullshiting each other, and all being grateful that we came home.

but I wouldn't want to go back to 20 for a second, if it meant giving up what I have now.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gumercindo
- Endlessly playing sports without: cramping up, breaking something, twisting something, getting exhausted, etc.

+1,000,000

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1.
Basketball. I stopped playing when the body couldn't cash the checks my mind, and sometimes my mouth, were writing.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I miss a body with seemingly endless energy and vigor and the ability to heal itself almost magically overnight. I miss drinking all night and showing up for work at 6:30am and being able to do that for a week straight. I miss having drunken sex with someone who's name I do not know. I miss the vast number of possibilities for the future. I miss the wild abandon to have a donnybrook and not worry about the consequences. I miss the feeling of angst you can experience at 4am, drunk, walking through the woods on a cool fall night.

However, now I love my wife, love the rewards I get from my job, and love my current station in society.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The magical ability to eat anything, drink anything, in unimagineable amounts, without gaining an ounce of weight.

Brad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1. I miss playing three leagues of baseball at once during the summers. But catching for that long did a wonder on my knees. I'm amazed how guys like Pudge Rodriguez can catch for so many years.

mrpologuy

Reaction score
I miss my whole family going to the park on Sundays. We would play ball, swim and grill out every Sunday during the summer. My dad showed me how to fish during one of those trips. We would eat ice cream before we left. We were kids and had no worries. It was some of the best times of my life. The park eventually closed, but I still think about it during the summer.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I miss the feeling that I am going to walk all night and then possibly shoot somebody, and he doesn't know it is going to happen yet, and I do. I miss hanging out with smelly, tired guys, who jsut came back from something dangerous, all trying to pretend that we weren't scared, and bullshiting each other, and all being grateful that we came home.

I certainly hope this refers to a stint in the military and not just a random Friday night in Detroit.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
I certainly hope this refers to a stint in the military and not just a random Friday night in Detroit.

lmao - I was thinking that too. I pictured some angry guy walking the streets half drunk, with a pocket knife in his hand baiting someone for a fight.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano

laugh.gif

no, military, but I guess reading that as a friday night in detroit changes it around quite a bit.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smooth bernie