What do you miss from your younger days?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rdawson808, Mar 13, 2008.

1. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I started playing racquetball when I was about 13 or so. Dad took me and taught me. Up through the beginning of college I played competitively (tourneys, coaches, etc.) and I really enjoyed it.

I picked up again at some point in grad school and even played for my school during my doctoral program (hey, I hadn't used up my 4 NCAA years). Then I hurt my shoulder and lost a bit of interest. Now, I have no club with courts and my shoulder is still f-ed.

I really miss it. It's almost depressing. It was a lot of fun and I met a lot of great guys playing.

How about you?

b

2. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

- Endlessly playing sports without: cramping up, breaking something, twisting something, getting exhausted, etc.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

oh, boy, what a question.

on the one hand, I love where I am at in life - love my family, my kids, my wife. I love my job. I love wearing suits and going into a 5 star hotel and seeing people scrambling to help me. I love sitting in a meeting and dealing in millions. love sitting in business class and having some hot chick in a funny hat bring me champane.

that said - I miss being young. I miss being tough, I miss having people look at me and think I look young and tough and crazy. I miss drinking all night, I miss lots and lots of meaningless sex. I miss deciding I want to shave my head and doing it. I miss bars and bar fights. I miss waking up in strange places, sometimes on the ground in somebody I don't know's garden. I miss the feeling that I am going to walk all night and then possibly shoot somebody, and he doesn't know it is going to happen yet, and I do. I miss hanging out with smelly, tired guys, who jsut came back from something dangerous, all trying to pretend that we weren't scared, and bullshiting each other, and all being grateful that we came home.

but I wouldn't want to go back to 20 for a second, if it meant giving up what I have now.

4. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

- Endlessly playing sports without: cramping up, breaking something, twisting something, getting exhausted, etc.

+1,000,000

5. blackgrass

blackgrass Senior member

Being able to sleep all night without having to get up to take a piss......

6. spertia

spertia Senior member

I miss summer breaks from school.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

+1.
    Basketball. I stopped playing when the body couldn't cash the checks my mind, and sometimes my mouth, were writing.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I miss a body with seemingly endless energy and vigor and the ability to heal itself almost magically overnight. I miss drinking all night and showing up for work at 6:30am and being able to do that for a week straight. I miss having drunken sex with someone who's name I do not know. I miss the vast number of possibilities for the future. I miss the wild abandon to have a donnybrook and not worry about the consequences. I miss the feeling of angst you can experience at 4am, drunk, walking through the woods on a cool fall night.

However, now I love my wife, love the rewards I get from my job, and love my current station in society.

9. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

The magical ability to eat anything, drink anything, in unimagineable amounts, without gaining an ounce of weight.

10. Brad

Brad Senior member

+1. I miss playing three leagues of baseball at once during the summers. But catching for that long did a wonder on my knees. I'm amazed how guys like Pudge Rodriguez can catch for so many years.

11. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Senior member

I miss my whole family going to the park on Sundays. We would play ball, swim and grill out every Sunday during the summer. My dad showed me how to fish during one of those trips. We would eat ice cream before we left. We were kids and had no worries. It was some of the best times of my life. The park eventually closed, but I still think about it during the summer.

12. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

I miss the feeling that I am going to walk all night and then possibly shoot somebody, and he doesn't know it is going to happen yet, and I do. I miss hanging out with smelly, tired guys, who jsut came back from something dangerous, all trying to pretend that we weren't scared, and bullshiting each other, and all being grateful that we came home.

I certainly hope this refers to a stint in the military and not just a random Friday night in Detroit.

13. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

I certainly hope this refers to a stint in the military and not just a random Friday night in Detroit.

lmao - I was thinking that too. I pictured some angry guy walking the streets half drunk, with a pocket knife in his hand baiting someone for a fight.

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

[​IMG]

no, military, but I guess reading that as a friday night in detroit changes it around quite a bit.

15. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

skateboarding.
    I picked up the board again at age forty, took a nasty spill and busted my hand open-
    My doctor looks at me and says
    "You should re -think skateboarding at your age."