1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you have in your kitchen?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by kronik, Jan 16, 2007.

1. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Anyone know where to get a professional/commercial quality knife magnet rack? Similar to the one posted by Kent?

By the way, are there any reasons not to use said method for storing knives?

Accidents? That is my fear, accidentally pushing something off and ending up with ventilation ducts on my foot!

2. hye

hye Well-Known Member

I love my All-Clad.
    [​IMG]

3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Anyone know where to get a professional/commercial quality knife magnet rack? Similar to the one posted by Kent?

Yes, they will keep your knives nice and dull. Not recommended.

4. Gladhatter

Gladhatter Senior member

I am at a fair disadvantage here and also an advantage as I can learn some new things.

I started building this project 20 years ago and still at it. While we have a small working kitchen down stairs with just stape goods, I had began the upper level with state of the art at the time.

Now all of it seems miserably failing. I just ridded the most of it all brand new 20 years old. We had a semi truck load of appliances all based on a single motor you mounted in the countertop . This is so antiquated that newtone does not even make them any more and fortunatly we found some one that wanted to replace broken parts on their old one and gave me a small fortune for the lot of it.

As for range top, I have a 48 inch Jen air gas with all the accessories and again 20 years old brand new unused.

Its a down draft and I do not any longe wish for this and will disable this and mount a hood above if we keep it.

Just added 5 feet addtion floor space on to the kitchen area so now its a massive sized project and we need help to design it properly and still fit the bill for my wishes of rustic.

I had a 1953 general electric frig once as a collectable and it was ultra efficient and had the compressor on top. I thus searched for years to find a northern brand that is made same. Its heavy commercial grade stainless and has removal panel doors you adapt to your cabinents, leave white or stainless as you wish.

The compressor on top also removes and is easy to replace and this last forever.

Problem is my wife hates it and it has no room inside and is not nearly as substantial as it appears.

I have a stock of 90 year old wormy chestnut lumber to build the cabinets from and will likely get to this next spring/summer.

Now we need a metal worker or a pre fab hood and maybe a complet new out look here and new every thing not sure. Looking for advise.

I choose a Kohler sink of heavy cast in white enamel that would go with the rustic charm I am after. I will not get to convert the two antique pitcher pumps into our fawcetts as my wife simply refuses so that is off. We choose a copper klad model in a platina based look instead now.

We plan to do some punched copper look in the cabinet work and intermingle this with also some wrought iron looks.

The oven is a repro from a 1800's oven and is solid black cast and has a matching microwave frame but not sure I want to use that and may hide the microwave behind things.

Any thoughts here?

Also doing a replica Hooiser out of the wormy chesnut and putting in all new repro hoosier parts for the deluxe model.

Cookware and knives for me have always been cast iron pots and pans and Old hickory knives but I could change.

5. spertia

spertia Senior member

We don't use the Global knives that several others have mentioned here, but we do have a Global magnetic rack. I think it looks very cool (the magnetic dots match/echo the dots on the Global knife handles), and it comes in several different lengths. It's a simple/minimalist single-strip design:

[​IMG]

6. Todd

Todd Senior member

Wusthuf knives

I love their knives...

Todd

7. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I believe Williams-Sonoma makes one. Never had any problem knocking knives off mine. My kitchen is very small, and these racks are a great way to save some counter space.

8. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Senior member

I have Marimekko and Iitalla. Olivetti , Arcopal and Murano.

9. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Kuppersbusch wok,range,warmer
    Kuppersbusch dishwasher
    Liebherr 48" Refer
    Miele coffee
    Miele range
    Faber hoods
    ALNO kitchen

10. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Pasquini Espresso

11. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Senior member

I have a lot of stuff in my kitchen, but the stuff I use the most are my Cristel pans and my Staub cast iron oval "cocotte".

How do you find the Staub vs. Le Creuset? I've heard very good things about the former...

As much as I enjoy cooking, I have yet to invest in top-quality kitchenware. I think that'll be my retirement present to myself in 25 years...

To date I have a Wusthof Grand Prix II sandwich knife (4") that gets far too much use as an all-purpose knife, a shitty stamped-steel Henckels chef's knife (Berlin line?), a Le Creuset 7-quart round French oven, a 7-piece set of Lagostina pots/pans (bought under the misguided impression that the brand still represented quality -- should have gone for Paderno or All-Clad), and some made in France appliances from Moulinex and T-Fal that I'm quite happy with.

12. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Everything from thrift stores of craigslist.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Nespresso LeCube
    Cuisinart Toaster Oven
    Kitchen Aid Blender
    Oxo Digital Scale
    Simple Human drying rack and soap dispenser

I bust out the grinder and french press when coffee is needed

14. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Senior member

GE monogram appliances
    Kitchenaid mixer
    Rancilio espresso machine and grinder
    Henkel knives
    All Clad cookware
    Laguiole flatware

15. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Wustuf Classic knives
    Le Creuset and All-Clad pots and pans
    DeLonghi espresso machine

16. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

10 year old Wustuf's and still going strong
    10+ All-Clad stainless and rocking every night
    15+ year old and new Le Creuset
    Vitri and Alpilco tabletop
    Assorted glassware from around the world
    lots of cutting boards

17. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

A lot.

Viking range
    GE Monogram fridge

Calphalon cookware and some older cuisinart cookware (the 5 quart saute pan gets the most use)
    Cutco knives (a gift -- the serrated ones still impress me)
    Unknown European flatware purchased from Williams Sonoma
    Various and sundry accessories, linens, etc.
    Amazing ball bearing equipped rolling pin with silicon surface and a few other fun stand outs
    Belgian waffle maker
    High tech toaster that still does nothing other than toast

Alex Duetto II Espreso maker
    La Cimbiali Max Hybrid Grinder
    Hario Nouveau vaccum pot
    Boudin french press
    Aeorpress
    And a brewer I haven't used in years ...

Reidel of various shapes and sizes
    Cocktail glasses of all required sizes

Need: cast iron pans, a killer Chef's knife, an old school mixer, and one of those space age blenders that can turn veggies into hot soup in 8 seconds ...

Don't now and never will own: a microwave.

18. romafan

romafan Senior member

Have never seen this thread before....[​IMG]

+1 on microwave. Just had to replace our fancy pants Cuisinart toasteroven after only 2 years! [​IMG] Have recently started using some allclad pans and am enjoying them greatly. The thing I can't believe and shake my head at everyday is 2 refriderators [​IMG] (kitchen acceses both dining room and kids/family room), although I have to say it has worked out well....

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

+1 on no microwave either.

20. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the ALL CLAD stainless pots and pans have been one of my best long-term purchases for the kitchen. I highly recommend them. Look for the special pricing on starter sets, then watch for sales and promotions on new or special pieces. If you keep an eye out for them you can get good deals over time.

The other best long-term purchase has been the aluminum PERFEX salt and pepper mills from France. Other mills grind smoother and finer but if you are like me and like a course cut pepper or salt, then this is the one for you.

[​IMG]