What do you guys want in a trench coat?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by michaeljkrell, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ totally, I want a smart looking coat that'll keep me dry when I'm swimming

2. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

IDK whether or not this is true but I read that trenchcoats are more for light rain...they really arnt water resistant...mac coats on the other hand are made for a downpour

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

IDK whether or not this is true but I read that trenchcoats are more for light rain...they really arnt water resistant...mac coats on the other hand are made for a downpour

yea I think that's right...Baracuta harrington fabric serves a similar purpose, coated for light drizzle

4. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

The LA contingent* needs to stay out of the waterproofing debates. You bastards.

*Big Al doesn't count as part of the LA contingent for the purposes of this thread due to obvious extenuating circumstances.

5. Countertenor

Countertenor Senior member

I'm kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on the YMC Mac (now that my size seems to have fallen off the face of the earth), part of which can be seen on the front page of New Dandyism (but is no longer available on that site). So something like that might be nice, as long as it's slim and water-resistant. A check pattern would be good. And I might like something a liiiiiitle bit longer, so as to help deflect a downpour away from the knees.

6. Countertenor

Yeah, it seems that we are asking for a Mac, which sounds good to me.

7. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Well Mac coats are made differently than trench coats and that is why Mac coats are more water resistant. I think there is a rubber layer between the layers of fabric. This makes it more water proof or resistant...

I guess you could build a trench in that way....

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Sounds like you guys are describing my trench.

9. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

Sounds like you guys are describing my trench.

sounds like theyre describing the three i own...

10. robin

robin Senior member

So it looks like everyone just wants a classic trench, cut slim, and somewhat short. To add, I'd also like to see a caped back, similar to one in who's picture, but much simpler and plain.

I also would not like to see full waxed cotton version (that's a lot of wax!) Barbour's doing one for F/W08 anways.

11. Lel

Lel Senior member

I'd also like to see a single breasted trench, one that's actually well done and very slim fitting and a bit more on the cropped side. I'm not saying no to a classic double breasted one, but somewhere along the line an SB would be nice.

12. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

What would be a good price for this trench, given MJKs pricing on his other stuff, which I have no idea what his gear costs.

13. Countertenor

So it looks like everyone just wants a classic trench, cut slim, and somewhat short. To add, I'd also like to see a caped back, similar to one in who's picture, but much simpler and plain.

I also would not like to see full waxed cotton version (that's a lot of wax!) Barbour's doing one for F/W08 anways.

I think that if we are talking about something that would be good for wearing in the rain (i.e. protect our clothing underneath), then we should really think about something a bit longer than mid-thigh. Trouser thighs/knees always seem to attract rain, which sucks when you have to sit down once you're indoors.

14. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I think that if we are talking about something that would be good for wearing in the rain (i.e. protect our clothing underneath), then we should really think about something a bit longer than mid-thigh. Trouser thighs/knees always seem to attract rain, which sucks when you have to sit down once you're indoors.

Yea...its more style than function to shorten it...

15. redgrail

redgrail Senior member

Waterproofing is a deal maker/breaker.
    I'm with the short/cropped people. Dark grey or navy.