• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what do you guys think of vans and converse?

malone77

Reaction score
For myself, my first pairs of sneakers were Pro Keds a long time ago! For old school sneakers, I like Adidas and Pumas. I just never wrapped my mind around Vans or Converse and kind of think of them as hipster/yuppie shoes...maybe my prejudice?

EDIT: I should add that Vans are big in California, so maybe they are more authentic there

Last edited:

3wgg

Reaction score
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to my wardrobe so I stick to white Converse Purcells. Classic look that goes with a bunch of stuff. I stay away from colored variations.

mbaum

Reaction score
Ha - Hipster and Yuppie ... funny.

I think that both brands are around for a long, long time and their classic styles to me are more timeless that hippster. Agree that the classic styles go with a lot of casual stuff so you can't go wrong but you also are not wearing anything that draws attention - They are a pretty safe and versatile choice.

I have to admit that I do like some of the collaborations (e.g. Cabourn with Converse, Diemme, EG with Vans) that are so trendy right now with all sneaker makers, but they can be hit and miss and they have to cater to your own tastes. Those are probably more towards hipster land but then again, this is styleforum, correct? Bring it on, hipsters
smile.gif

Mike

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my blue chucks between 3 and 7 days each week. They're my second pair; replaced a pair of red ones I got for a 10th Doctor Hallowe'en costume. When they wear out, I'll get a new pair, but might change up the colour. I also designed a custom pair of them, and my wife and I wear them with branded work uniforms for my company at trade shows, etc. As you can see, they're not stylish per se - though that isn't the point. People are always asking how we got ones with our names on them. They're supposed to get people's attention, especially the young athletes that are my target market.

malone77

Reaction score
Wow about the blue chucks! Thanks for all the insights...I know, I had some strange prejudice about Vans and Converse...but I got an open mind, too ;-)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads