What do you guys think of this whole scene/look?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by millionaire75, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

There's also a relentless conformity to this type of thing that I imagine lots of folks are reacting to. Everyone looks the same, everyone dressed the same, everyone trying to signal they're in the right group/social class. Lots of people getting drunk and chasing tail. It's the Trad relation of the njguido.com pics that were being mocked earlier.

...some... like to fancy themselves rebels in bow ties.

I think the reaction we're seeing here arises partly because everyone seems to be walking in such lockstep. It's the same criticism people regularly level at the Trad forum, or at folks who adopt the AmJack uniform. They wear the clothes to fit in.

Agreed 100%.

(to fritzl and Artisan Fan) Did somebody with two identities post twice without realizing it?

Ouch. This is going to be fun. [​IMG]

How do we know that these kids don't dress like that in real life too?

Fair enough and you're right to call me on it. I don't know them. That part of my comment is pure guesswork... but it's a guess based on real-life experience of similar contrived social groups/events.

Isn't it though, just a little bit? Not getting at you personally, so please don't take it the wrong way, but in an abstract sense isn't this a minor equivalent of wearing the navy DB and cap to the yacht club?

Look, my WAYN pics show I'm certainly not immune to a bit of affectation and that's not what gets me about some of those photos... [​IMG]

But come on, there are limits and doing something just because everyone else is shows a lack of true flair. Obviously the next counter to that comment would be "what about the difference with wanting everyone wearing proper dinner jackets and bowties at black tie events" - fair question, but that's more of a uniform not a outfit choice as such. And even then, I wear green slippers with black tie occasionally... [​IMG]

2. Memphis

Memphis Senior member

I like the girls [​IMG]

3. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I like the girls [​IMG]

Yeah, they're pretty, but that sort of look is a dime a dozen at any university south of the Mason-Dixon.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Yeah, they're pretty, but that sort of look is a dime a dozen at any university south of the Mason-Dixon.

yup.

5. presence

presence Senior member

I find the social scene perfectly acceptable. There is no reason to loathe or be cynical about these people or their lifestyle. They are also decent dressers.

6. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Between his size, bad facial hair, atrocious haircut and ridiculous outfit, he seems to be doing everything he can to repel women. Yet he seems to have one well out of his league. He must be loaded.

erm, that chick is far from a looker. I can't stand chicks that don't have a defined neck and chin.

7. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I find the social scene perfectly acceptable. There is no reason to loathe or be cynical about these people or their lifestyle. They are also decent dressers.

Do you actually know anyone like that? Having been around those sorts of groups, I can tell you there's a very high probability that some of those guys (I'm thinking here mostly of the ones with the sunglasses) are a very particular kind of douchebag (see the Late Night Shots article in General Chat.)

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

erm, that chick is far from a looker. I can't stand chicks that don't have a defined neck and chin.
    Well, I guess that is one less group that will not have the pleasure of you paying for their boyfriends' meals.

9. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Having been around those sorts of groups, I can tell you there's a very high probability that some of those guys (I'm thinking here mostly of the ones with the sunglasses) are a very particular kind of douchebag (see the Late Night Shots article in General Chat.)
    I have read that LNS consists of guys who attend all the Capital Club events but would never be invited to join.

10. Dracon

Dracon Well-Known Member

This is a social scene now? I thought it was a bunch of fat-faced douchbags making fools of themselves...

11. scarphe

scarphe Senior member

I will not berrate them or anything like similar, but the whole thing just does not square.

other than that i would repeat the part about the sun glasses as being something that could cropped out of the pictures. Also for a group of high society types they are drinking beer[​IMG] and totally without exscuse out of plastic cups[​IMG] .

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

13. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I'm glad I was able to successfully steer this thread away from insulting the clothes to just insulting the general douchiness of the people themselves. [​IMG]

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm glad I was able to successfully steer this thread away from insulting the clothes to just insulting the general douchiness of the people themselves. [​IMG]

Better just to get right to the subtext. [​IMG]

15. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

I prefer to match, lobster tan with, lobster pant.