• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of this Hugo Boss tie?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Budget line or not, it seems a trifle expensive for a solid black silk, esp. from Boss. I have a solid black silk RLPL and don't think I paid more than about the equivalent of $50 for it, though that was at outlet.

WN2

Reaction score
I've only had one Boss tie years ago. I wasn't impressed.

Isak Bengtsbo

Reaction score
I've one tie from Hugo Boss and I assume that they belong to the same line.
I like the design but that's all. Wouldn't recommend it.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like it, but it seams expensive for a plain black tie

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you just want solid black check out Macy's and get one of the many brands on sale for $25.

It is hard to see from that pic how wide the tie is, they seem to be getting narrower these days. Macy's and the like are a little behind in the absolute latest cuts of ties. Express would probably have a black tie in the narrower cut.
Some Macy's do carry Hugo Boss and the ties are all $85 as well.

Not sure other than Express where you would go for super trendy cuts on ties. Maybe H&M or Zara if you are close to a big city.

I just recently got a solid black tie, it was an ML|Material London on sale for ~$20 at Macy's, I'm quite happy with it.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Hugo Boss had a budget line.

At any rate, it does seem a little expensive for a plain black tie and I say that as one of the few defenders of HB on this forum.

MrRogers

Reaction score
I'd pass. For some reason I havent been able to find the right black satin tie for some time now. I started out with a helmut lang, then moved onto a brioni before buying a solid black gucci tie. They all tie like crap and make a horrible knot. Last night I was wearing the brioni out to dinner and passed Andrew's ties in philadelphia. I grabbed a black satin tie for 39$, switched it for the brioni (after paying of course) and it looked great. I was contemplating a Kiton but after spending close to 300$ on black ties the 39$ one looks the best.

MrR

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
i like it, but it seams expensive for a plain black tie
Should a plain black tie, or any solid, be lower priced?

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. If you're going for a basic, go for someone who doesn't try to sell at a premium just because theirs is a designer brand. For the same money you can get a similar tie, either in better silk or for less money, or both.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exarctly. I have no problem paying a premium for something interesting but the quality of Boss' tie offerings isn't worth paying $85 for a black tie. If it were an interesting looking tie I'd say go for it (and I did on Friday actually), but not a solid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads