• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of this Gucci suit?

lsquare

Reaction score
http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...&Nu=Product+ID

Due to my small size, 36, I am limited to certain brands for suits. I'm just wondering what do you guys think about the quality of this suit? One thing that has caught my attention is that it said lining is 100% rayon. What does that mean? Isn't Rayon artificial fiber? Is this suit over priced?

Also since I have no way of trying this out online, does anyone here know of a retail store that have this suit so I can try it out before buying it? Thanks.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Rayon isn't synthetic, it's made from tree pulp. Rayon or acetate (synthetic I believe, but not bad) are perfectly fine for suit lining. Polyester and whatnot... not so much. But rayon is definitely preferable. Silk satin can be luxurious, but it's not very hard wearing. The shell fabric on a suit should obviously be natural fibres.
and your wallet.

I'm not sure how Gucci constructs their suits, but floating canvas is preferred and should even be standard at that price point if you ask me. Ask the customer service at BlueFly about it. If they don't give you a straight answer, don't buy it. Every customer should be able to know exactly what they're getting, especially online.

You can always check out FIH Ties, as it specializes in clothing for smaller men. The suits are fused, but not a bad deal according to a member review here. Definitely look around when there's a sale going on. The owner himself visits this forum and can help you out a great deal.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by houserichichi
That's a dinner jacket, is it not, Jovan?
No, it's a peak-lapelled, one-button suit. It doesn't have grosgain lapels and it's not black/midnight-blue. That being said, without patch pockets on a computer monitor it's an honest mistake. Similarly, I get a bit of a feeling that the button stance is lowish and the lapels are widish for such a fashionable cut? Also: do patch pockets help or hinder height?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Not bad looking, but that's an awful lot of money IMO. For that price you could get a good MTM from LS or Mr. Ned in NYC, or probably others.

The FIH one would be a much better value.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Not bad looking, but that's an awful lot of money IMO. For that price you could get a good MTM from LS or Mr. Ned in NYC, or probably others.

The FIH one would be a much better value.

If you are considering a Gucci suit as opposed to a FIH suit from Jonathon, I definitely second the FIH suit suggestion. I think it's a much better value than the Gucci (you are not paying for the Name Factor), and I think Jonathon will treat you especially well if you contact him, and tell him you are an SF member.

Good Luck whatever you do, but by all means contact Jonathon at FIH. I think you will be very satisfied.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Hmm... sometimes. All the better reason to ask I think.

By the way, how tall are you? I think this FIH suit could look good if your height correlates to your chest size. The peak lapels and one button styling would help lengthen you a bit.

http://www.fourinhand.com/Product.as...oduct=PD80E-04

I'm 5 feet 8.5 inches tall. I just checked out the site and the style seems pretty good, but just how does it compare to the Gucci suit in terms of quality and durability? I'm not sure how a one-button suit will fit me since I'm quite skinny (I weight 130lbs).

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
If it helps any, my friend (about your same height and light build) wears a one button peak lapel sportcoat and it looks great on him; quite rakish. I doubt it wouldn't do the same for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads