• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of the new style BMW 5-Series (F10)?

IBJanky

Reaction score
I like the BMW 5-series cars, especially the 528i. No need for a 535i with the twin turbos, or the 550i V-8 model. I have no use for that kind of power/speed.

Kinda early, but I'm thinking of getting one in a few years (once someone else takes the depreciation hit), just to have something nice to drive on my days off/weekends. Never owned a BMW before.

This is the current body style (2010 & newer):

33063252-623x389.jpg

2011-BMW-528i-from-Rear-View-Picture-570x379.jpg

This was the previous body style:

2009-bmw-5-series.jpg

2009_bmw_5_series_528i-pic-44865.jpeg

I really liked the previous body style, but the new one is kinda growing on me.

Anyone here owned a 2004 or newer BMW 5-series? How did you like it? Any problems to look out for?

myke

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you driven the 528? I think the engine is too weak for a car that size. The accelleration lags and the handling isn't that great. There is nothing impressive about it. The 550, on the other hand, has more punch, and that's what, in part makes it fun to drive. You should be able to get the 2010 550 in 2-3 years with about 36K miles for just over $40K, I'd imagine.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The car is gorgeous in real life. I have not driven it, but reviews echo what TR says above about its handling.

--Andre

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Have you driven the 528? I think the engine is too weak for a car that size. The accelleration lags and the handling isn't that great. There is nothing impressive about it. The 550, on the other hand, has more punch, and that's what, in part makes it fun to drive. You should be able to get the 2010 550 in 2-3 years with about 36K miles for just over $40K, I'd imagine.

I have driven the previous body style 528i and it's more than enough power for me.

I'm not a speed junkie/enthusiast anymore. I drive pretty relaxed.

I have a 9-mile commute to work, takes about 15 minutes using all side streets, and I hit about 3 stoplights... get the picture?

No doubt that the 535/550 model would be a lot faster, but I'd never have a use for it.

myke

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
just out of curiosity, have you even been stopped for speeding? and what'd you say to the cop who stopped you?

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
just out of curiosity, have you even been stopped for speeding? and what'd you say to the cop who stopped you?

Never been stopped for speeding since I've been a cop.

But then again, I don't drive fast anymore.

I have to drive my motorcycle fast at work to catch speeders, and that's enough adrenaline for me
biggrin.gif

myke

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by IBJanky
I have driven the previous body style 528i and it's more than enough power for me.

I'm not a speed junkie/enthusiast anymore. I drive pretty relaxed.

I have a 9-mile commute to work, takes about 15 minutes using all side streets, and I hit about 3 stoplights... get the picture?

No doubt that the 535/550 model would be a lot faster, but I'd never have a use for it.

myke

Well, if you like how the 528 drives and handles, that's up to you. In my opinion, and only my opinion and not to insult you, is that the 528 is a bit poseurish. I see buying a 5 series for the driving experience (not the experience merely to say they drive a bimmer), and the 528 doesn't deliver. To me, it's for the soccer mom that wants some level of luxury and people seeing her driving "a nice car", but she doesn't care about how it really drives, and it's cheaper. That might be unfair, but that's my view point on it.

That's nice about your commute, but your original posted indicated you would be driving the for days off and on weekends. My point, is if you want a fun car to drive, the 535 or 550 would be the better choice, but it seems the 528 satisfies your desire for the "funness" of it.

But to answer your question, no I don't own one. But with any used German car, you always need to be careful, certified or not. I was in the market for a used 550 and did quite a bit of research, but my co-worker put it in perspective. She bought a 2006 from the dealer, certified. She said she has had nothing but problems with it, and these problems are not covered by the warranty (naturally). It's in the shop all the time, and she said the car has done nothing to enhance her life - it's just one big headache and eats into her savings with the repair work. No one in SoCal care she's driving one since everyone has one. With that in mind I opted for an Infiniti G37. Just as nice of a car, if not nicer, for less money (compared to a 3-series that is).

You might better off just leasing your BMW.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the car and think its looks are a great improvement over the previous generation.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think a 528 is poseurish. If you need the room and like the looks of the car, but want good fuel economy and not pay a premium for all the options they lard on the bigger-engined cars, the small engine is a good way to go. And it makes plenty of power anyway.

One of the best 5 series ever made is the E39 530i with the sport package.

--Andre

IBJanky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
I don't think a 528 is poseurish. If you need the room and like the looks of the car, but want good fuel economy and not pay a premium for all the options they lard on the bigger-engined cars, the small engine is a good way to go. And it makes plenty of power anyway.

--Andre

My thoughts exactly. Not everyone needs/wants all the power.

myke

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
If you need the room and like the looks of the car, but want good fuel economy and not pay a premium for all the options they lard on the bigger-engined cars, the small engine is a good way to go.

Yah, sounds like a soccer mom.
biggrin.gif
peepwall[1].gif
j/k. Point taken. I guess I was just way underwhelmed by my experiences driving a 528. It's not like I'm a speed/power junky either. My previous cars were a '79 Corolla, Nissan Altima and a 15 year old MB C280. No doubt the 5-series, regardless of model, are nice cars in any event.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y

This is what I have, but a 540i. Love it.

I won't weigh in on the 528 vs. 5xx debate (but you can guess where I'd land), but someone down the street from me has a silver 2010 5 series, and I think it's a great car. no e39, but still.
wink.gif

rocks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of large sedans I have the new Alpina B7 on my radar, hope to own one in the next 4 years after the bulk of the depreciation has occurred. I can't justify buying a new bimmer or any other car for that matter (plus I can't afford a new B7), my current bimmer was bought when it was 3 years old and it's been almost 4 years since I've owned it and the drive still impresses me today.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rocks
Speaking of large sedans I have the new Alpina B7 on my radar, hope to own one in the next 4 years after the bulk of the depreciation has occurred. I can't justify buying a new bimmer or any other car for that matter (plus I can't afford a new B7), my current bimmer was bought when it was 3 years old and it's been almost 4 years since I've owned it and the drive still impresses me today.

Service on a B7 might be a nightmare, I can't even imagine what some of the parts catalogue might cost on that. I wouldn't want to foot the bill. I've seen the new B7 live though, and it is amazing. The new 7 with the M pack is great too. The new 5, I'm pretty lukewarm on. It doesn't really look like a Bimmer from the back, and the front is a little confused looking.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the comments on the 528i being a bit weak. Still better than a 523i though... is the 523 being offered in the US?

What do you guys think about the M pack? I find it gorgeous - especially with the 19" wheels. The car looks a lot more sporty...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics