• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What do you guys think of my noob tie collection?

TexasToast

Reaction score
I know tastes in ties is an acquired thing and everyone has likes and dislikes but from a general point of view what do you think of the collection so far. There are a couple of pieces missing like an ancient madder a solid black tie and maybe some medallions, I definitely need a solid navy tie as well.
IMG_20210918_235055_636.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with @ValidusLA that the solids are too shiny—I’d honestly get rid of those.
I’d suggest considering:
A burgundy or navy pindot (spacing and size of dots have to be “just right”)
One or two more neat patterns (like the last tie on the right)
Depending on your climate, consider fabrics with more texture—they should generally be more matte and less shiny.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above. All but the solids are versatile and a nice collection otherwise. The solids remind me of ties worn by groomsmen in matching outfits.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Agree with @ValidusLA that the solids are too shiny—I’d honestly get rid of those.
I’d suggest considering:
Depending on your climate, consider fabrics with more texture—they should generally be more matte and less shiny.
I agree with you on the shiny ties they have got to go I'm looking for replacements.

TexasToast

Reaction score
I’d suggest considering:
Those are good suggestion svi will definitely check them out.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the one on the far right is OK. I can see that being worn with brown tweeds and blue sport coats.

As others have said, I find the solids a bit too saturated and shiny.

If you're looking for cheap ties, go to eBay and do a search for Ben Silver. Not all of their designs are good, but many are. If you're just starting to build a tie collection, stick to simple stripes such as this

tumblr_inline_p9gpavLPX11qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_p9gpautTdg1qfex1b_540.jpg
tumblr_inline_p9gpaudEd81qfex1b_540.jpg

Doesn't have to be those exact patterns, but the idea is to stick to something simple. Simple stripes -- in matte silks and basic colors -- are classics that you can wear with suits or sport coats.

Chipp Neckwear also has affordable grendines.

Focus on buying fewer ties, but better ties. And be cautious of spending too much on ties. They're easy to collect and, in the beginning, your money is often better spent on higher quality tailoring.

tumblr_inline_p9gpaqH12B1qfex1b_540.jpg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point from @dieworkwear above. It's very easy to acrue ties that are pretty as individual objects but difficult to wear in real outfits.

I have a substantial collection of Cuccinelli, Charvet, and Brioni ties which might as well be wall art. I either bought these or my wife gave me them as gifts but they are either too thin, too shiny, or too in your face to really wear.

Well considered ties form Hober or Shibumi (at half the price or less) are what I end up wanting to wear.

TexasToast

Reaction score
I think the one on the far right is OK. I can see that being worn with brown tweeds and blue sport coats.

As others have said, I find the solids a bit too saturated and shiny.

If you're looking for cheap ties, go to eBay and do a search for Ben Silver. Not all of their designs are good, but many are. If you're just starting to build a tie collection, stick to simple stripes such as this

View attachment 1671555 View attachment 1671558 View attachment 1671556

Doesn't have to be those exact patterns, but the idea is to stick to something simple. Simple stripes -- in matte silks and basic colors -- are classics that you can wear with suits or sport coats.

Chipp Neckwear also has affordable grendines.

Focus on buying fewer ties, but better ties. And be cautious of spending too much on ties. They're easy to collect and, in the beginning, your money is often better spent on higher quality tailoring.

View attachment 1671559
Thanks for the tips I'm on ebay now looking for ties lol. I know what you mean about buying ties I want a few good ties I may have to wait a paycheck or two for the 9nes 8 really like.

Verve

Reaction score
I’m recently going through same journey as you this past year and a half, Tex. Everyone gave great advice. I upgraded my suits first, then shoes, and then ties & pocket squares. I’m still buying suits and ties since it is a very patient process.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.