• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think of boat shoes in this color?

Dranakin

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the "Quick question" thread, but I realized this is more of a discussion question. Attached is a screen cap. I realize brown is more versatile/traditional (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=16264), but a regular dark brown pair of boat shoes just seems kinda boring to me. Asking because I don't want to look like an idiot just for the sake of being different. Thoughts?

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess they aren't terrible. But I would never wear them. Just buy the navy blue ones....?

Dranakin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IUtoSLU
I guess they aren't terrible. But I would never wear them. Just buy the navy blue ones....?

Am I wrong in thinking that if you wear shoe colors other than black or brown, you should have some element of that color in another article of clothing (i.e. navy shoes with a blue shirt)?

thepataphysician

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dranakin
Am I wrong in thinking that if you wear shoe colors other than black or brown, you should have some element of that color in another article of clothing (i.e. navy shoes with a blue shirt)?

I don't really think that applies to boat shoes (or tennis shoes), they are casual enough that if they don't actually look bad together they should be ok.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I would rather get a pair in navy, seems like more classic than these two-tone pairs.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

actually i like the look of wearing a certain color shoe and not repeating it again throughout the entire outfit. it really brings the focus to your shoes. this goes with any item. pairing subdued shades with that one thing that pops can be fun.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I would rather get a pair in navy, seems like more classic than these two-tone pairs.

+1

Sebastian

Reaction score

Taxler

Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with those shoes in the context of casual summer wear which is the only place I would wear them.

MDF

Reaction score
I originally posted this in the "Quick question" thread, but I realized this is more of a discussion question.

Attached is a screen cap. I realize brown is more versatile/traditional (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=16264), but a regular dark brown pair of boat shoes just seems kinda boring to me. Asking because I don't want to look like an idiot just for the sake of being different. Thoughts?

These would go well with som Khaki cargo shorts and a nice linen shirt. I like them

Dranakin

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. Do you think navy is okay for year-round wear? Or are boat shoes okay for the whole year, but only if I get them in brown?

Sebastian

Reaction score
I wear boat shoes for casual all around the year.

A flat sole in spring and summer and a thicker sole (Timberland has a fine model) for autumn and winter. If you have the luck to live in a warm area with no snow, the model with the thinner sole will do it for the whole year.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer single tone brown, the boat shoes in the jpeg aren't that bad looking.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer single tone brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads