• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think about tan capped toe oxfords and jeans?

TexasToast

Reaction score
I want to do a tan cap toe oxford and dark wash jeans what do you guys think of that. This is for work where I usually wear sneakers, jeans and a t-shirt. I plan on wearing a tie and spread collar oxford dress shirt. Do you think this combination is a doable one, Looking at all the jeans and dress shoe videos I never see a cap toe oxford mentioned. Is there a rule about not wearing cap toe oxfords with jeans that I missed thanks.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxfords look too formal with jeans. A derby would be more appropriate. Tan is fine.

I don’t advise wearing a tie with jeans (or without a jacket); it always looks like someone who doesn’t own any tailored clothing is trying to “dress up” in one easy step. There are better ways to look smart in jeans, including sweaters and cardigans (in cold weather) and patterned sport jackets in shades of brown and green.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Oxfords look too formal with jeans. A derby would be more appropriate. Tan is fine.

I don’t advise wearing a tie with jeans (or without a jacket); it always looks like someone who doesn’t own any tailored clothing is trying to “dress up” in one easy step. There are better ways to look smart in jeans, including sweaters and cardigans (in cold weather) and patterned sport jackets in shades of brown and green.
I get where you're coming from about wearing a tie without a jacket, It looks like something is missing. Wow I just had a mental flashback and realized I'm doing this all wrong. I mean Ive seen what business casual looks like and don't know what I was thinking about, Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to do a tan cap toe oxford and dark wash jeans what do you guys think of that. This is for work where I usually wear sneakers, jeans and a t-shirt. I plan on wearing a tie and spread collar oxford dress shirt. Do you think this combination is a doable one, Looking at all the jeans and dress shoe videos I never see a cap toe oxford mentioned. Is there a rule about not wearing cap toe oxfords with jeans that I missed thanks.

the notion of a “rule” is one I loathe. Rather, I prefer the term “customary”. With respect to wearing cap toe oxfords with denim, I don’t think this offers a congruent look. There’s nothing wrong with the dark wash denim, but can think of better footwear options.

TexasToast

Reaction score
the notion of a “rule” is one I loathe. Rather, I prefer the term “customary”. With respect to wearing cap toe oxfords with denim, I don’t think this offers a congruent look. There’s nothing wrong with the dark wash denim, but can think of better footwear options.
I got you on the footware options but I have limited options I mean this can wait I guess. Are you thinking of a loafer or boot as more put together look, what would be your go to footware to wear with jeans.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got you on the footware options but I have limited options I mean this can wait I guess. Are you thinking of a loafer or boot as more put together look, what would be your go to footware to wear with jeans.

probably the most versatile option would be a suede Chukka boot. It’s probably the most versatile pair of shoes you could own. It would work with a range of outfits short of business formal.

Loafers would work as well. I think a pair of oxfords with brogueing could work. I’m thinking of something like the AE strand, but I still think the chukka boot is ideal.

TexasToast

Reaction score
probably the most versatile option would be a suede Chukka boot. It’s probably the most versatile pair of shoes you could own. It would work with a range of outfits short of business formal.

Loafers would work as well. I think a pair of oxfords with brogueing could work. I’m thinking of something like the AE strand, but I still think the chukka boot is ideal.
I like the option of a Oxford with brogueing it's a kind of shoe I'm missing. This will also give me the option to purchase a pair of shoes from a different company

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without revisiting an extremely long debate about wearing Oxford shoes with chinos (and even less formal options like jeans), you can of course wear whatever you want, but there are better choices than oxfords. I agree that chukka boots are a very versatile choice. I also personally like Chelsea and side-zip boots with jeans. Loafers are good though would lean towards something like an Alden LHS rather than a very sleek loafer.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Without revisiting an extremely long debate about wearing Oxford shoes with chinos (and even less formal options like jeans), you can of course wear whatever you want, but there are better choices than oxfords. I agree that chukka boots are a very versatile choice. I also personally like Chelsea and side-zip boots with jeans. Loafers are good though would lean towards something like an Alden LHS rather than a very sleek loafer.
I bet that was an ugly post lol, Yeah I agree that there has to be better options than oxfords to go with jeans. I'm not a big fan of chukkas for some reason but that ok too. I like the ideal of loafers as well which is another shoe absent from my collection.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
assuming you are now off the 'tie with jeans' idea and you don't like chukkas, jeans are often worn with:
  • Derbies
  • Blucher
  • Jump boots
  • MP style boots
  • Longwings
  • loafers (for warmer weather)
Lots of options. And, I also find that the type of leather also tends to shift shoes/boots either direction along the 'formal - casual' line.
A great 'starter' shoe for jeans is a plain toe blucher (PTB)

TexasToast

Reaction score
assuming you are now off the 'tie with jeans' idea and you don't like chukkas, jeans are often worn with:
  • Derbies
  • Blucher
  • Jump boots
  • MP style boots
  • Longwings
  • loafers (for warmer weather)
Lots of options. And, I also find that the type of leather also tends to shift shoes/boots either direction along the 'formal - casual' line.
A great 'starter' shoe for jeans is a plain toe blucher (PTB)
Thanks for the list of different styles I should take a look at. Ive explored some derbies that Im liking a lot. PTB's are looking pretty interesting to me for some reason I can see wearing a pair with jeans or chinos. I think #1 on my list are Derbies they align more with my sense of style than the others.

Last edited:

TexasToast

Reaction score
Try a Chelsea, thank me later.

Phillip
Hey Phillip I went to Meermin's yesterday and actually tried on a Chelsea lol. Thanks for the suggestion I'm still not liking boots for some reason, Guess I'm not a boot kind of guy.

Last edited:

suitedcboy

Reaction score
Your screen name would lead me to think you are in Texas. What you're considering is likely to be fine for most you will encounter other than in a court room. If your peers are less well dressed then your jeans with tie might not paint you as a "suit" to a crowd where that is a bad thing.

TexasToast

Reaction score
Your screen name would lead me to think you are in Texas. What you're considering is likely to be fine for most you will encounter other than in a court room. If your peers are less well dressed then your jeans with tie might not paint you as a "suit" to a crowd where that is a bad thing.

Thanks I would like to live in Texas some day but unfortunately now I'm not lol. I know I could probably get away with the above but I'd like to be a bit more sartorially correct rather than being abstract or aloof according to my limited knowledge of classic menswear

Most of my peers are dressed normally but Im still working on my business casual wardrobe, I work in education. I want to create a persona/identity in my place of work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads