• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys thing of wearing the watch

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were a few pictures of Luciano Barbera doing it in one of Flusser's books (I guess it's an Italian thing?), and it didn't look too bad. It's definitely got the functional edge. I think I also saw style icon J. Timberlake doing it a while back, so it's got that going for it too.

DandySF

Reaction score
Gianni Agnelli owned this style. It's a showy, ballsy sort of gesture. I can't imagine who could pull it off without looking like a copycat or a pretender. Some speculate that Agnelli had an allergy to metals and was forced to wear the watch on the shirt cuff.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it was Agnelli and not Barbera in the book.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
No, there are pictures of Barbera doing it in the book.  Agnelli pioneered the practice, but it caught on among Italian dandies.  I wouldn't exactly call it widespread now, but you do see it in Italy quite a bit.  I have even seen Italian bespoke shirts with little straps on the outside of the cuff to hold the watchband in place.

ptolbert

Reaction score
I do it everyday, my watch bands, other than grosgrain and leather, leave me with a nasty rash on my wrist.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My father, curiously, can't wear a wrist watch. Something about his body causes the face to fog up. Anyone had this experience? I wonder if wearing the watch over his shirt sleeve would help. (Not that he would. He's now a die-hard pocket watch carrier.)

arkirshner

Reaction score
No, there are pictures of Barbera doing it in the book.  Agnelli pioneered the practice, but it caught on among Italian dandies.  I wouldn't exactly call it widespread now, but you do see it in Italy quite a bit.  I have even seen Italian bespoke shirts with little straps on the outside of the cuff to hold the watchband in place.

In Dressingg the Man p140 there is a picture of Jean Cocteau with his watch on his sleeve.  Can anyone date his use  before or after Agnelli?

When St Augustine asked St Ambrose whether they should fast on Saturdays as Romans did or not fast as was the custom in Milan,  St Ambrose replied, "When in Rome do as the Romans do."    
    St Augustine accepted this advice and I shall also. Should I ever get to Rome I shall wear my watch on my sleeve but not before as outside of Italy the practice is simply an affectation.

I do it everyday, my watch bands, other than grosgrain and leather, leave me with a nasty rash on my wrist.  

And whats wrong about grosgrain or leather?

stache

Reaction score
I do it every once in a while, mainly with thin sweaters that have very long sleeves.

Walter

Reaction score
I know Interno8 does that kind of cuff.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I also saw style icon J. Timberlake doing it a while back, so it's got that going for it too.
I presume that was meant as a joke, right, considering Timberlake is neither iconic nor stylish?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that unless you have an allergy, please don't do it. Not everything from Italy is a good idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads