1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you get most complimented on?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dreamtripper, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

my ca. 1985 Barbour Jacket.....
    but the other day, couple of guys @ work making fun of my C&J Welbourne as oldish (I'm not that old, trust me [​IMG] ); then asking if they are being sold at Macy's... WTF oh well..

2. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

The compliments I get always seem to be either for a bright tie (fuchsia, green, etc) or if I'm wearing a white shirt/navy suit ("Wow, someone looks sharp today!" that kind of thing). Always from women, which is great

J

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Probably my shoes. It used to be pocket squares 10 years ago, but then everybody started wearing them.......

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Probably my shoes. It used to be pocket squares 10 years ago, but then everybody started wearing them.......

It was hard to resist your trendsetting white linen TV fold. [​IMG]

5. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Senior member

Burberry London Black Peacoat. I've literally had about 12 people compliment me on it. It's all about the fit.

6. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Ironically: usually my cheapest ties or shoes

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

My shoes and suits.

8. DenimDan

DenimDan Well-Known Member

9. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

Usually my sport coats, cuff links, or knit ties. Sometimes, when I wear an adventurous shirt (because I mostly only wear light blue and white). And lately, the size of my tie knots. It's as if the world forgot the FIH existed and only wears fat and ugly knots. And oh, the fact that my shoes are always well polished.

10. AB01

AB01 Senior member

Relatively cheap Aldo boots (every day that I wear them).
    Also a BCBG tie from Macy's selling for $12.

Better to be complimented on a whole look than an item. "You look sharp" when wearing stuff that fits right.

I'm interested to know which Kenneth Cole watch from the previous post. I think non-luxury items do the trick in the general public as long as they look right and the quality control is enough that they last for years.
    About time they made a poor mans watch thread.

11. dreamtripper

dreamtripper Senior member

With items of clothing like coats & suits, it seems the better fitted/cheaper gets more attention than more expensive/not as well fitted. Also, it's interesting to note that quite often it's not the nicest/most expensive things that get noticed.

12. carl_paris

carl_paris Senior member

Emilio Pucci pink pocket square with a navy jacket. Usually draws compliments from women.

13. w.o.e.is.me.

w.o.e.is.me. Senior member

My ability to not take internet rants about me to heart.
    [​IMG]

I get a lot of general 'overall' praise.
    day trip to nyc yestrday. 3 random people stopped and commented on my appearance.
    sales dude at Paul Stuart was fawning over my look.
    but my wife was convinced he was just trying to make a sale (he did btw).

14. Geezer

Geezer Senior member

With items of clothing like coats & suits, it seems the better fitted/cheaper gets more attention than more expensive/not as well fitted. Also, it's interesting to note that quite often it's not the nicest/most expensive things that get noticed.

Often, it's the more distinctive items. Of 3 recent compliments, one was by a friend's wife on a dark navy bespoke DB, which I assumed was a social nicety or harmless flirtation. But he emailed me the day after saying "my wife says you must introduce me to your tailor". The other two I remember are both from strangers: "nice jacket" for loudish windowpane odd jacket, and "nice suit man" for a dark grey chalkstripe DB with slim trousers and hacking pockets.

Unfortunately, with strangers in England these days, it is impossible to know whether "nice suit" means "nice suit" or "you look like a cnut".

15. Don Carlos

Don Carlos Senior member

Shoes and socks. Always. Especially the latter, oddly enough. I've started wearing "fun" socks to work this year -- albeit "fun" in the more subdued variety; we're not talking bright orange or anything. Ladies love it. Go figure.

Ties also get compliments, which makes sense, given their high visibility against what is usually an unstudied-by-bystanders backdrop (suits and shirts).

16. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

Emilio Pucci pink pocket square with a navy jacket. Usually draws compliments from women.

Ladies love the Pucci.

With me it's jacket shoulders. Though a pretty girl did complement me on working buttons during the week.