• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you feel about fabric blends????

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not think that the use of polyester is mainly to save money, but I may be wrong. Now, the people I know that prefer polyester/cotton shirts over 100% cotton (or cotton/linen -wonderful-, or linen) do that basically to facilitate the ironing of the shirts. Polyester/cotton shirts are normally easier to iron than 100% cotton shirts. I used to buy polyester/cotton shirts myself, for that very reason. I very much enjoyed the moment when my finances allowed me to let someone else handle the ironing. Since then, I only buy shirts of 100% natural fibres (basically, cotton and cotton/linen). Now, even when I did the ironing, I ended up with mostly 100% cotton shirts. The natural "feel" about 100% cotton compensated the somewhat harder task of ironing.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pantherella socks are often a blend of natural and synthetic fibres.

I generally prefer 100% natural, but blends like 80% natural can work OK. I'd never wear 100% synthetic, other than a raincoat or something.

fredrik80

Reaction score
A little viscose/rayon/lycra is sometimes preferred actually. If you want tighter fitting t-shirts for example i always prefer a small blend of lycra or something in the mix, it helps to keep the shape after many many washes. And darker colors dont fade as easily as 100% cotton

Viscose and rayon are actually "good" synthetic fibers since they have a cellulose base, compared to "bad" polyester etc which is just plastic

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fredrik80

Viscose and rayon are actually "good" synthetic fibers since they have a cellulose base, compared to "bad" polyester etc which is just plastic

Actually viscose is now considered a natural fibre because cellulose is non-synthetic. Paper after all is made of cellulose and it is definitely non-synthetic.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Sweden, I never thought so much about cotton vs. polyester (I was younger then, also). However, I remember being told never to use shirts that are not 100% cotton by an Italian friend (that was, I think, the first time I was told that polyester is crap). Never heard any of my Swedish friends argue against polyester.
An interesting thing is that I recall that in Sweden, sweaty balls was a major concern among men. "Pungsvett" was a commonly discussed topic, and I believe that there were even songs about it. Interestingly, this topic is not frequently raised here in Spain, in spite of a hotter climate. Maybe it has to do with the choice of cloth for the underwear. On the other hand, it may just be a cultural thing.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Pantherella socks are often a blend of natural and synthetic fibres.

I generally prefer 100% natural, but blends like 80% natural can work OK. I'd never wear 100% synthetic, other than a raincoat or something.

Even my macintosh raincoat is 100% cotton

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer 100% natural fibers, suits 100% wool, or 100% cotton with 100% viscosa linings, shirts 100% cotton or linen.

However I have some sweaters 95% cotton 5% cahsmere that are very nice... cotton behaviour with cashmere feel..

I also have some sports coats 90% wool 10% cashmere, but those I like less now... sure they are softer that the others 100% wools but they also worn faster...

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
In Sweden, I never thought so much about cotton vs. polyester (I was younger then, also). However, I remember being told never to use shirts that are not 100% cotton by an Italian friend (that was, I think, the first time I was told that polyester is crap). Never heard any of my Swedish friends argue against polyester.
An interesting thing is that I recall that in Sweden, sweaty balls was a major concern among men. "Pungsvett" was a commonly discussed topic, and I believe that there were even songs about it. Interestingly, this topic is not frequently raised here in Spain, in spite of a hotter climate. Maybe it has to do with the choice of cloth for the underwear. On the other hand, it may just be a cultural thing.

I love the sweatyballs reference....haha!

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Schwetty Balls (the holiday treat) are Swedish as well, no?

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
Do you all own pure linen of somekind?

My favorite, but so hard to maintain

rgpuppy

Reaction score
i always find this conversation interesting as the average person has a large misperception of natural fibers....while the style forum type person is often time misinformed or snobbish about synthetic fibers.

First off let me say i wear almost exclusively 100% natural fibers in tailored clothing and everyday sportswear...synthetics come to play in performance wear and cold weather gear.

a person who likes a form fitting shirt is much better served by a Cotton/Lycra blend than a 100% cotton shirts...it will move better and more importantly recover better after being stretched at the elbow or whereever.

A Wool Cashmere blend is 100% wool...so it is not really a "blend" and is still 100% natural fibers...just like a Silk and Wool sportcoat is still 100% natural fibers.

The other place synthetic fibers come into play is color...fibers like Tencel and Modal take color very well and hold on to it so it does not fade or streak...cotton takes color very poorly as absorbtion etc varies and as cotton frays or is worn the color is less intense etc etc...

Using these synthetic fibers allows a designer or manufacturer to create a handfeel (softness) without giving up color or drape...

In knits different fibers allow for different effects...tail yarn or space dye looks are executed at a much higher level using synthetics...so you may blend the synthetic yarn in for a particular purpose.

Lastly i would say in woven fabrics if you are wearing blends you want an intimate blend...many the fibers have been mixed within the yarn...not a drawn blend where some fibers are cotton and the others are ploy etc...

just my 2 cents worth

nighttrain7404

Reaction score
That was a great value in your 2cents rgpuppy...

Thanks for the information

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads