• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do with suits that don't fit you too well anymore.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to be 44R-43R, but I am 42R now. Some of the suits that I have, I can feel that they are loose because my body is more cut. I am sure some of you are having the same problem (or had in the past). What do you do? Would you sell the suits on ebay? Alteration would not be a good option because these suits are altered already and any more alterations will make the suits look very "altered".

gj555

Reaction score
I donate them to charity. I am sure someone who cannot afford one can use the suit.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I sell them at a local men's clothing resale shop.

You get 55% of the sale price in store credit which I can then use to buy new stuff at the shop - new to me that is.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see if my friends could use a nicely made suit.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I am gonna put it up on eBay.

I think that is the best option. Unless it is a suit that is old, or of particuarly low resale value (Men's Wearhouse) or that you've worn many times, I would sell it there.

Donating to charity is a wonderful, admirable idea, but unless you are just amazingly wealthy, it can be a little hard to justify. I have no idea what kind of suits you are talking about, but if it were me, I'd have a hard time donating a 2 or 3 year old Gucci, Zegna, or Belvest suit that could still fetch $200-400 depending on condition. That's money you could use for a new suit or use to help pay for $3 a gallon gas or anything else. So, unless you can just write all of that off, send it to the 'bay.

Plus, I think there is something inherently odd about donating a suit of that type to a charity or a shelter. Would a person in need REALLY need a Gucci or Belvest suit? It almost seems like donating Caviar or Dom Perignon to a Homeless Shelter. A nice idea, certainly, but also a little out of proportion for their needs. Shirts, pants, winter coats... fine... but fine suits?

Not to mention that, in many cases, suits or items like that don't ever even GET to the people who need them. I would say usually these items end up on ebay anyway. One person donates them to a charity where an Ebay reseller who knows fine suits buys them for $5 and then sells them for $75.

Just cut out the middle man and do it yourself.
smile.gif

John

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a space problem: my flat is rather small, and it looks like I will not be able to afford a bigger one (at least not in the city center, and I do not like suburbs) within the next few years...
So every time I buy a new suit (at present, normally, about twice a year) I have to get rid of an old one. Normally, I "grant" myself space for just twelve suits (including odd jackets with corresponding slacks), six for the summer and six for the winter. There is a good thing about it: you think a lot before getting a new suit.
Normally, the old ones I give away to the son of my sister-in-law, who gives them to her son; he is around 25-30. The suits I have been giving away so far are those I bought more than 6 years ago, and I think that they are either rather bad quality, bad design, or both. Also, their design is not really up-to-date, and they do not fit the son of my sister-in-law too well. The funny thing about it is that he is getting a lot of compliments from people for his nice suits when he uses them on occasions like weddings!
I never heard of any mens clothing resale shops in Spain; the only second-hand clothing shops I know sell jeans or "hippie" clothing, and maybe some paramilitary stuff for skinheads and the like. I never heard of anybody getting his Gucci suit or Ferragamo shoes second-hand. I guess that has something to do with the Spanish character: I guess people here are too "proud" to buy second-hand. It is a pity, it would be nice to be able to find good stuff at reasonable prices. I understand from what I read here that second-hand mens fashion is frequent in the U.S., right?
I never dared to buy anything on e-bay and, also, it appears to me that it would take a lot of pleasure away from the buying action. I like to look on clothes, touch them, and slowly take a decision.

life_interrupts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrift/consigment shops are another way, in addition to eBay, to get some of the value back on them. Probelm is that if the suits stick around for several weeks, you may not get enough to make it worth your while. Then again, I usually donate mine and write them off of my taxes.

wheelerray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
I donate them to charity. I am sure someone who cannot afford one can use the suit.

I agree that it is admirable, and am not trying on any way to be disparaging of your efforts. However, it would be infinitely more helpful to sell them on Ebay and donate the proceeds.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers' "How to Dress Like a Gentleman" offers the following advice (quoted from memory):

"When a gentleman no longer fits into his clothes, he donates them to charity. He does not assume that they will one day fit him again. Moreover, he would hardly celebrate such a day by wearing unfashionable clothing."

Or somesuch. The "unfashionable" is probably not the word they use. But I always got a kick out of that.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"Donating to charity is a wonderful, admirable idea, but unless you are just amazingly wealthy, it can be a little hard to justify."

Selling used suits on eBay generally brings about 20% of their replacement cost. If you use a seller to do it for you, you get half of that, or 10%.

If you are fortunate enough to be in a state with an income tax, as are New Yorkers and Californians, it doesn't take much to be around the 50% bracket. Then, donating clothing to charity at an aggressive but not outrageous valuation gives you about the same return as eBay with less hassle.

Of course, in California the charities don't know what to do with suits, but that's a different problem.

abc123

Reaction score
Ebay, if it is worth much, otherwise donating it seems to be the best choice. Perhaps we could have a SF closet cleaning event et some point...

On that note, anyone have a 37-38 they just cant stand to have in their closet anymore
smile.gif
?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
donating clothing to charity at an aggressive but not outrageous valuation gives you about the same return as eBay with less hassle.

This is true.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics