• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do with odd suit jackets when the trousers wear out, especially striped?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were that to arise then I would throw it away.

If you wear a pair of trousers so long that they become unwearable then the coat cannot be far behind. Unless of course you never wear the coat at all or buy poor quality suits/ill fitting in the first place.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

If you wear a pair of trousers so long that they become unwearable then the coat cannot be far behind. Unless of course you never wear the coat at all or buy poor quality suits/ill fitting in the first place.

I've yet to own a suit long enough to experience it first-hand, but everything I've read suggests that the trousers will always wear out long before the coat with 'normal' usage.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

I think that the trousers would wear out comparatively faster in the case of a better constructed suit.

I haven't worn any of my wool suits long enough to find out, but some of my nicer odd wool trousers have definitely become a tad bit shiny around the ass.

maomao1980

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If it's striped, I would replace the buttons with contrasting color and add elbow patches in a similar color to the stripe. Remove any padding and convert to half lined if possible.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
I think that the trousers would wear out comparatively faster in the case of a better constructed suit.

I haven't worn any of my wool suits long enough to find out, but some of my nicer odd wool trousers have definitely become a tad bit shiny around the ass.

I believe that this is the case but I assume that the OP was speaking of low end rags.

I too have no experience but if one were to become damaged or worn out then the whole lot goes in the bin.

jcc123

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
In future,
consider having 2 pairs of pants made with each jacket... or if sold as seperates in a store, picking up a second at the time

Yea, get one with cuffs and one without. You can then pretend you have two different suits. Not only that but have two looks and double your suit's lifespan.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jcc123
Yea, get one with cuffs and one without. You can then pretend you have two different suits. Not only that but have two looks and double your suit's lifespan.

I also do this because there are times where I'll just wear the pants and a shirt without the jacket, or I'll take off the jacket during the day so it doesn't get quite as much wear and tear (figuratively and literally)

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never had trousers to wear out before the jacket. If I did, the jacket would go to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
I think this is a larger problem than people are admitting.
I'll admit that this is a larger problem than people are admitting, which will get you halfway there anyhow ...
Originally Posted by davidmross
I wear them with a pair of jeans and a dress shirt and no tie.

The exception rather than the rule. If it's a really nice jacket that would look good this way, then yes, but otherwise ... in the bin.

Mike89LX

Reaction score
It would depend on the suit, some coats should never be worn by themselves (IMO of course), so that would be the biggest determining factor for me

king_pen

Reaction score
this has happened to me with a couple of my suits and depending on the cut/style of the jacket i have either gotten rid of the suit altogether or as others have suggested wear it with darker denim.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have actually never worn a suit so much that the trousers have worn out, but I expect I would donate the whole shooting match at that point..

DDA007

Reaction score
I donate stuff that wears out or goes out of style to the Public Defender at my work. The dudes on trial always need (and are required to have) non-jail clothes. The PD has a very limited selection and there are NO funds to outfit criminals for jury trial. The PD needs stuff in average guy sizes.

I've sent two people to prison who were wearing my clothes since I started donating.

Donation is always a good option IMHO...

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pee in them, then either return them to Filene's Basement, or sell them on ebay.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads