• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do when girls ask you...

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was out this Friday night to a trendy part of Toronto. I was wearing Hugo Boss baldessarini black lamb skin blazer, hugo boss casual metal pin stripe dress shirt, nudie jean, and black Cole-hann tapered loafer. As I was walking, a girl spot me, approached me, and said, "I love your outfit. You must got it from Banana Republic didn't you? I love that store .. blah .." I responded, "No. I buy everything from Walmart" and I moved on. If the girl was HB9+ then I would stick around with her, but she was not
tounge.gif
Anyways, for the situation like this, how would you guys handle it? I do not like to tell people what I wear in person, since that would sound like I'm showing off.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just smile and say thanks. Who cares if she doesn't know that much about men's fashion? Obviously, she was paying you a compliment. You could have at least made some small talk - and if, in the conversation, you mentioned offhand how you were breaking in your Nudies, she might even have been impressed by your interest. Just don't mention how much you paid and what the brands are. I don't know any quality woman who is impressed by that line. If you talk about how great your car is, and she is impressed because it is expensive and prestigious, run away quickly.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just smile and say thanks.
That is how I react as well. It's a compliment, so learn to receive compliments or dress down
wink.gif

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, smile would be the choice if she did not assoicate my outfit with BR. But .. point taken any how.

Sevcom

Reaction score
What they said. Use that as an opener, and talk with her for a bit. Who cares if she mentioned BR? Most women aren't up on men's fashion anyway, so they don't have much of a point of reference. Most guys don't know much about women's fashion either.

BTW, what's HB9+?

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As I was walking, a girl spot me, approached me, and said, "I love your outfit. Â You must got it from Banana Republic didn't you? Â I love that store .. blah .."
LOL, that happens from time to time. It's a difficult problem to deal with. Generally your best option is to say "something like that." Mention how you like BR too and complement her on something she's wearing. Because even if she's a cow, she may have cute friends.
devil.gif

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL, that happens from time to time. It's a difficult problem to deal with. Generally your best option is to say "something like that." Mention how you like BR too and complement her on something she's wearing. Because even if she's a cow, she may have cute friends. Â
devil.gif
Quoted for truth

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(montecristo#4 @ April 03 2005,11:28) LOL, that happens from time to time. It's a difficult problem to deal with. Generally your best option is to say "something like that." Mention how you like BR too and complement her on something she's wearing. Because even if she's a cow, she may have cute friends.
devil.gif

Quoted for truth
Yeah, but oftentimes this dictates that you become her friend and then she has to introduce you to them...I'm too lazy to go through that process without at least some guaranteed possibility of a positive outcome. Jon.

Pink22m

Reaction score
Yeah, but oftentimes this dictates that you become her friend and then she has to introduce you to them...I'm too lazy to go through that process without at least some guaranteed possibility of a positive outcome. Jon.
biggrin.gif

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Sevcom @ April 03 2005,13:15) BTW, what's HB9+?
I think it means he's been reading too much alt.seduction.fast, or whatever it's called.
HB = Hot Babe. I would give Tara Patrick 9
smile.gif

Aaron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, what's HB9+?

I think it means he's been reading too much alt.seduction.fast, or whatever it's called.
I don't know what alt.seduction.fast is (I'll guess...) but I took HB9+ to mean Hot Body 9+ (on a scale of 1-10). Meaning she's getting into model hot territory.

A.

jmswentworth

Reaction score
So, elaborate, how was she?

Shockingly bad or just average?

mussel

Reaction score
There's no need to be sacarstic. Just smiles and says thanks. It's a decent and polite response regardless of her HB scale.

jmswentworth

Reaction score
There's no need to be sacarstic. Â Just smiles and says thanks. Â It's a decent and polite response regardless of her HB scale.
I would agree, but that is only becuase I have a long term relationship. I'm sure it's diff. is you are single and looking
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads