• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do when girls ask you...

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newyorker,April 04 2005,06:05
I am totally disgusted by how some people seem to make fun of, and put down, ugly people.
Well said. Â What's happened to respect for all persons?
I concur. Â The way you treat others is a reflection on yourself. Â A little courtesy and respect to others goes a long way. Â Your action is not something I'd brag about.

Lydia

Reaction score
Banana Republic isn't THAT awful. Look at some of the women's blazers and the like. They have some singular forties inspired designs, quite unique to their store. I'm not keen on the men's stuff since it is cut wide. They do sell leather blazers there, consistently. It wasn't a terrible guess on the girl's part.

I wish I could stop judging people by appearance. My difficulty with talking to ugly girls, ugly men, and fat people has caused me to miss meeting many interesting people. My closemindedness and superficiality has constantly stunted my own mental development - and severely limited my number of friends.

Don't hate ugly people - for your own sake.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
.. sigh .. why is this leading to I disrespect this girl etc ..
The way I explained the situation originally may sounded that I disrespected the girl but I was not being rude to her.  In fact the stuff I said was funny to her.  She was laughing.  I mean saying thank you to compliment from a girl is too boring IMO.  I like to twist things anyway I can.

I do not descriminate people by their look. I really do not care how other look and dress, but that time I was late meeting my buddy and she was in my way.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not descriminate people by their look. I really do not care how other look and dress, but that time I was late meeting my buddy and she was in my way.
So the headmaster of the college I attended was talking to a boy after a date (with marriage in mind) and asked him what he thought about her, and he replied that she was immature and then he asked if he she was attractive and he said no to which the headmaster said, "I bet if she was more attractive she would be more mature"

I bet if she was closer to a R2D2 or whatever the number equation was, she would be less "in your way"

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet if she was closer to a R2D2 or whatever the number equation was, she would be less "in your way"
Funny how that is so often the case.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(FIHTies @ April 04 2005,13:13) I bet if she was closer to a R2D2 or whatever the number equation was, she would be less "in your way"
Funny how that is so often the case.
Not funny...more like "sad"... (Although I know thats what you meant)

BankerBoi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
I responded, "No. I buy everything from Zellers" and I moved on. If the girl was HB9+ then I would stick around with her, but she
was not .

Fixed.

Leslierc

Reaction score
When someone affirms that you're looking good you acknowledge them by making eye contact, smiling, and saying "thank you". The point is the compliment, not where you shop or how much your clothing costs.

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody ever thought that my clothes came from some trendy store.

Some time ago I was having dinner with some people and one of the girls said: "I really like your suit, it just looks like it was made bespoke for you" (well, she said it in Spanish, but that it more or less the translation). I was silent for some seconds, because I didn't know what to say (among my friends bespoke is something reeeeally rare and I didn't want to seem tacky), and then she realised and said: "Oh, I see, of course it was".

I liked that.

Leslierc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by epa
Nobody ever thought that my clothes came from some trendy store.

Some time ago I was having dinner with some people and one of the girls said: "I really like your suit, it just looks like it was made bespoke for you" (well, she said it in Spanish, but that it more or less the translation). I was silent for some seconds, because I didn't know what to say (among my friends bespoke is something reeeeally rare and I didn't want to seem tacky), and then she realised and said: "Oh, I see, of course it was".

I liked that.

A PRICELESS moment if ever there was one!

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should just accept the compliment and move on. She obviously was interested in you and threw the line out there to see if you were interested in her.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread was only a little more than 2 years old. And, wow, how time has changed! Back then the OP bragged about his Cole Haan. Ever since the Shoe Fairy joined the forum, he single-handedly elevated the SF shoe quality to a different plane
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
. Vass, JL, EG, G&G, Scafora, St. Crispin, Corthay, Kiton... are all we talk about.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
if someone complemented me on my clothes, usually i do get alot of complements on my dress by women (hey, just stating the facts, not boasting here) i just thank them and return the complement in a tasteful way too.

they all know my shoes are way expensive so they already know i get them from exclusive sources. so they dont assume i get them at shoe mart or anything.

but if someone says 'nice tie, macys?'
i actually thank them and get into a little small talk on where i got it and what makes it so qualitative, like i will show them the 7 fold construction and whatever . in a casual , comfortable way , and usually they are very intrigued and they say something like" wow, i guess i learn something new everyday" or " i never knew there was all that stuff that goes into neckties"

or something like that. not that i want to boast, or that i want to correct them on their mistake thinking i am kiton rather than mens wearhouse, i dont care about that, but the joy of sharing the info i know about the clothes i wear, i like to share that like a jesus convert running around always ready to share the gospel fanatically.
smile.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by newyorker
I am totally disgusted by how some people seem to make fun of, and put down, ugly people.

Who else would berate them and shake them to reality. As well as make them understand that they clearly have been slacking off for the past 195 thousand years.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads