1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What do you do when girls ask you...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Apr 3, 2005.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Agree with Oldskool,

Besides, it was obviously a compliment.  Some people happen to like BR.  Besides, an Asian dude in Toronto wearing a leather blazer, a shiny striped dark shirt, dark jeans and pseudo-designer footwear?  Unless one is pretty conversant with men's fashion/style, BR is a pretty safe guess.  

A reverse situation happened once when a girl stroked my chest and asked if my track jacket was DSquared.  Nope - real vintage, baby.

BTW, Milano style. Stash the leather blazer for a few years. It's not 1997 anymore. Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to wear it in between 5 and 10 years time.

2. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

If I've learned one thing from this forum:

When a woman compliments you on your clothes - trip her, then push her into the gutter.

Problem solved.

3. rlevine

rlevine Well-Known Member

Just curious - you weren't at "inside," were you? I was just in Toronto and my friends took me there Friday night. Not sure if it is considered a "trendy" part of Toronto.

4. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Guy, .. this thread has been joy for me to read. Actually gave me some funny ideas. [​IMG] LA guy, I love my black leather blazer. Â It fits me so well and goes so well with a chilly night. Â I disagree with stashing my blazer. Â I do not care if it was in or out, if it looks good then it looks good. I'll wear it every time I step out to that dark night. rlevine, no, I did not even go to Inside. Â But I love Inside. Â Beautiful Bartenders [​IMG] Â Especailly one from Italy, she is total bella. Carlo, if EHB came to me and trying to complement my outfit, I would not even hesitate. Â I would grab her waist and pull her in closely and ... [​IMG]

5. Luc-Emmanuel

Luc-Emmanuel Senior member

the leather blazer always screamed "hollywood star in rehab" to me. I don't understand how one could wear such an atrocity. Milano, ImageWIs is right, she could have HB9+ friends [​IMG] Luc

6. MilanoStyle

I used to think that way. But I come to realize that it is MORE COMMON for pretty girls to hang out with prettier girls.

7. Walter

Walter Senior member

I would answer "no I had them made by my tailor. But thanks for asking. What is your name? "

8. newyorker

newyorker Senior member

I am totally disgusted by how some people seem to make fun of, and put down, ugly people.

9. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

I agree - no matter how hot (or not) she was the proper answer would be to say thanks, make small talk for 10 seconds and move on.

10. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Well said. What's happened to respect for all persons?

11. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Originally Posted by newyorker,April 04 2005,06:05
    I am totally disgusted by how some people seem to make fun of, and put down, ugly people.
    Well said. Â What's happened to respect for all persons?
    I concur. Â The way you treat others is a reflection on yourself. Â A little courtesy and respect to others goes a long way. Â Your action is not something I'd brag about.

12. Lydia

Lydia Senior member

Banana Republic isn't THAT awful. Look at some of the women's blazers and the like. They have some singular forties inspired designs, quite unique to their store. I'm not keen on the men's stuff since it is cut wide. They do sell leather blazers there, consistently. It wasn't a terrible guess on the girl's part.

I wish I could stop judging people by appearance. My difficulty with talking to ugly girls, ugly men, and fat people has caused me to miss meeting many interesting people. My closemindedness and superficiality has constantly stunted my own mental development - and severely limited my number of friends.

Don't hate ugly people - for your own sake.

13. MilanoStyle

.. sigh .. why is this leading to I disrespect this girl etc ..
    The way I explained the situation originally may sounded that I disrespected the girl but I was not being rude to her.  In fact the stuff I said was funny to her.  She was laughing.  I mean saying thank you to compliment from a girl is too boring IMO.  I like to twist things anyway I can.

I do not descriminate people by their look. I really do not care how other look and dress, but that time I was late meeting my buddy and she was in my way.

14. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

So the headmaster of the college I attended was talking to a boy after a date (with marriage in mind) and asked him what he thought about her, and he replied that she was immature and then he asked if he she was attractive and he said no to which the headmaster said, "I bet if she was more attractive she would be more mature"

I bet if she was closer to a R2D2 or whatever the number equation was, she would be less "in your way"

15. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Funny how that is so often the case.

16. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

(FIHTies @ April 04 2005,13:13) I bet if she was closer to a R2D2 or whatever the number equation was, she would be less "in your way"
    Funny how that is so often the case.
    Not funny...more like "sad"... (Although I know thats what you meant)

17. BankerBoi

BankerBoi Senior member

I responded, "No. I buy everything from Zellers" and I moved on. If the girl was HB9+ then I would stick around with her, but she
    was not .

Fixed.

18. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

When someone affirms that you're looking good you acknowledge them by making eye contact, smiling, and saying "thank you". The point is the compliment, not where you shop or how much your clothing costs.

19. epa

epa Senior member

Nobody ever thought that my clothes came from some trendy store.

Some time ago I was having dinner with some people and one of the girls said: "I really like your suit, it just looks like it was made bespoke for you" (well, she said it in Spanish, but that it more or less the translation). I was silent for some seconds, because I didn't know what to say (among my friends bespoke is something reeeeally rare and I didn't want to seem tacky), and then she realised and said: "Oh, I see, of course it was".

I liked that.

20. Leslierc

Leslierc Senior member

Nobody ever thought that my clothes came from some trendy store.

Some time ago I was having dinner with some people and one of the girls said: "I really like your suit, it just looks like it was made bespoke for you" (well, she said it in Spanish, but that it more or less the translation). I was silent for some seconds, because I didn't know what to say (among my friends bespoke is something reeeeally rare and I didn't want to seem tacky), and then she realised and said: "Oh, I see, of course it was".

I liked that.

A PRICELESS moment if ever there was one!