• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do to let a crappy waitress know she gave you crap service?

Kique

Reaction score
Tip a penny, should get the point across.

RedLetterDay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IrishDan
I once saw a guy put a $5 bill on the table as a tip, with a big
frown.gif
drawn on it. I don't know what it was about, as I was just arriving, but it seemed bizarre at the time.

Hahahah that is awesome.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who has worked in the service industry I can tell you that ust not tipping will be interpreted as being a "cheapskate". Its wrong, but its the way that the servers thought process works unless its made clear that there is a reason for the low / no tip.

People that tip anyways are perpetuating the performance of that server.

Also, as management, it helps to know where there are shortcomings in service to be able to fix them. Sometimes its the servers attitude and sometimes its a problem with their training.

In the US I would reduce their tip by what is appropriate depending on the service that I received, and at a point I would discreetly mention it to the manager. If things were bad enough and it was to be a long meal I might ask to be transferred to another server.

Overall I'm a laid back customer and fully understand that somethings are out of the control of waitstaff (and sometimes they are doing their best when shorthanded or really busy), but putting up with truly bad service does no-one any favours.

On the othere side, I am also one of the first to compliment management when I receive really good service, and put my money where my mouth is by leaving a bigger tip.

K

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kique
Tip a penny, should get the point across.

This is the usual method in the event of abysmal service. Not sure whether that described here sounds quite bad enough for that though...

Nugget

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.kevin
What's wrong with you? Bad service happens, nobody is 100% all the time. There is no stylish way to be a jerk and try to humiliate your waitress. Just don't tip or tip very little, and they'll probably get the message.

Giving feedback about poor performance is not in any way being a jerk. These jobs are pretty simple. If it is the best job can you can get, then do them as well as you can.

When someone does a great job, I'm thrilled and say so too..

The small tip with
frown.gif
scribbled on it is a good one though.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
I usually keep my bills because the franchise offers a free soup or salad or perogies with the purchase of an entry for the next visit within 21 days, contingent upon filling out a survey on their website with the access code on the bill, and showing the bill at the next visit with the survey validation code. The note idea is a good one though. Maybe I'll take some post it notes and stick them on the table with my note written on it.
Whoa. Yeah, well, if you're a regular I guess that can matter. I tend to have a notepad with me so I usually have another option. Usually if I make it to no tip land in the service level, the likelihood of my going back is rather lower.
Originally Posted by VKK3450
As someone who has worked in the service industry I can tell you that ust not tipping will be interpreted as being a "cheapskate". Its wrong, but its the way that the servers thought process works unless its made clear that there is a reason for the low / no tip. People that tip anyways are perpetuating the performance of that server. Also, as management, it helps to know where there are shortcomings in service to be able to fix them. Sometimes its the servers attitude and sometimes its a problem with their training. In the US I would reduce their tip by what is appropriate depending on the service that I received, and at a point I would discreetly mention it to the manager. If things were bad enough and it was to be a long meal I might ask to be transferred to another server. Overall I'm a laid back customer and fully understand that somethings are out of the control of waitstaff (and sometimes they are doing their best when shorthanded or really busy), but putting up with truly bad service does no-one any favours. On the othere side, I am also one of the first to compliment management when I receive really good service, and put my money where my mouth is by leaving a bigger tip. K
I started reading your note expecting to have the process of not tipping condemned, and people such as I excoriated for ever doing so. I'm glad to read that's not the case. I should amend my earlier writing and say that I do pro-rate the tip depending on service, though if the server's down to sub 10% from twenty, that's the threshold. I never hold servers responsible for kitchen or other uncontrolled by them screwups though, so it has to be really inattentive or rude service for me to start knocking it down. I've also left 40-50% on exceptional service several times. On a $100 bill, that's pretty decent, at least for my income bracket. ~ H

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is usually clear whether the waiter is bad, or circumstances out of their control are. If you see the restaurant is packed and the server is doing their best to get to their tables than they are not purposefully giving you sub-par service. If the server only has two tables, is slow and forgetful, they obviously just dont give a **** and they are taking the 15% gratuity as a norm regardless of the service they give.

I would tip 10% max in your situation.

al821

Reaction score
I left note. "Want your tip? Here's one, please have better service." Go outside and look at their reaction, it's gold!

DrFaustus

Reaction score
I would personally still leave a respectable tip, but would make sure to mention it to the manager before leaving. If you punish the waitress by not giving a tip or giving a crap one, it's highly unlikely that they will try harder because of this. They will most likely just assume you're cheap. And who wants to be seen as cheap? Go to the manager. Just my 2 cents.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this girl i know pretty much starts to "dictate" the service some how (i dont any other way to explain it) within the first few minutes if she senses that the service has started off pretty bad. it usually lets the server realize that their current level of service is not really cutting it for this person....well it has all the times ive been out with her which is quite a lot.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the other week at the spotted pig in nyc, a few friends and I had a really bitchy waitress. absolutely terrible service. not that the place is for good service but still...she refused to add on "small plate" to the order saying how its unfair to people who are waiting in line. this was about 10 minutes after we had placed the initial order of food. we just asked one of the busboys who was nice enough to add to the order. in the end, it was the busboy who seemed to be doing everything. so we just left handed him 2 20s on a bill of like 140. we didnt leave the waitress anything

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wondering. Do you still top 20% on bills 100 and over?

Student status btw.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dashaansafin
Just wondering. Do you still top 20% on bills 100 and over?

Student status btw.

If you have good service then yes even if your a student, otherwise don't eat at such expensive places.

If your bill is over $100 because your in a large group and you have good service then yes, everyone chips in and it's not a problem. If it's still a problem see above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics