• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do to let a crappy waitress know she gave you crap service?

stylemeup

Reaction score
The other week I was eating at a restaurant late at night and the waitress gave me extremely crappy service. She never checked to see if I needed anything. I was thirsty for most of my meal. When I asked for some more water after my meal was done she was taking some other customer's orders a few booths behind me before getting me my water.

I know I could just not tip her...but then she won't know if I'm not tipping just because I'm a cheapskate. Therefore, I think the signal would be more appropriate if it was loud and clear.

Is it appropriate to verbally chastise crappy waitresses on their crappy services in this case?

What is everything you would do and say in this situation?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ask plobaire.

stylemeup

Reaction score
I don't know who plobaire is but I hope he sees this thread and posts some insights. As well as everyone else who has some insights on this topic.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wait until the end of my meal to get a drink.

I'd probably go to the bar and ask for a drink and hope the manager sees. If he doesn't I'll still have a drink and pay 20% less than I intended to.

stylemeup

Reaction score
That's a good tip; when they start messing with me I'm just gonna get up and go right to the place they get drinks from the fountain at and have the hostess give me one instead of the waitress, or pour it myself.

I have been socially conditioned to think it's 'not okay' to get up out of your seat and take bold action like that while eating at a restaurant, but I'm tired of being thirsty so from now on I'm gonna try that.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've done that few times, going straight up where they get the water, or utensils or napkins, and get them myself. I usually ask a couple of times and when I feel like I'm not gonna get helped I tend to do it myself instead of letting the frustration eat me inside. Of course, to let the staff know of the crappy service I express it in terms of tips, or the absence of it.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spank her.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Of course, to let the staff know of the crappy service I express it in terms of tips, or the absence of it.

I've discovered at the restaurant chain that I eat at they have been trained to ask verbatim: "Do you need change?" or "I'll get your change" when you pay. I know they must have been trained to say that specifically because I've had every waitress of that chain say those exact words to me verbatim in multiple different locations.

I need a snappy comment to rub their face in it when they say that to me if they gave me crappy service. The message I wanna get across is: "The reason I am not tipping you is because you are a horrible waitress who gave me crappy service. Not because I'm a cheapskate."

Is there a way to jazz that message up and say it in a stylish way?

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in similar situations, and did not tip -- I left a note on the bill.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Usually my course of action as well.

It certainly merits a note when leaving little to no tip for poor service, particularly if you weren't able to make it clear throughout the duration of your meal.

w.kevin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stylemeup
I need a snappy comment to rub their face in it when they say that to me if they gave me crappy service. The message I wanna get across is: "The reason I am not tipping you is because you are a horrible waitress who gave me crappy service. Not because I'm a cheapskate."

Is there a way to jazz that message up and say it in a stylish way?

What's wrong with you? Bad service happens, nobody is 100% all the time. There is no stylish way to be a jerk and try to humiliate your waitress. Just don't tip or tip very little, and they'll probably get the message.

IrishDan

Reaction score
I once saw a guy put a $5 bill on the table as a tip, with a big
frown.gif
drawn on it. I don't know what it was about, as I was just arriving, but it seemed bizarre at the time.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if your service was compared in ******* land, you would have been using lots of teeth. i therefor am not leaving a tip. good day! I SAID GOOD DAY!

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman

Originally Posted by The Wayfarer
Usually my course of action as well.

It certainly merits a note when leaving little to no tip for poor service, particularly if you weren't able to make it clear throughout the duration of your meal.

I usually keep my bills because the franchise offers a free soup or salad or perogies with the purchase of an entry for the next visit within 21 days, contingent upon filling out a survey on their website with the access code on the bill, and showing the bill at the next visit with the survey validation code.

The note idea is a good one though. Maybe I'll take some post it notes and stick them on the table with my note written on it.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Originally Posted by w.kevin
Just don't tip or tip very little, and they'll probably get the message.

Or they might just think I'm a cheapskate, like Mr. Pink from Reservoir Dogs. I know that's just a movie, but there are people like that in real life too. Not tipping or low tipping without additional action may cause them to think I'm just one of those persons who never tips properly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads