1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Do You Do For a Living?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by ~attrACTION~, Dec 10, 2006.

1. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    I make belt buckles.

2. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

I make belt buckles.

caelte, I am a surfer, and your avatar causes me to break out in a cold sweat every time I see it. [​IMG]

3. Python

Python Active Member

Medical doctor (neurosurgery registrar)

4. caelte

caelte Senior member Dubiously Honored

out on the docks behind the Blue Parrot Cafe
    caelte, I am a surfer, and your avatar causes me to break out in a cold sweat every time I see it. [​IMG]

NR, your distress has caused me a sleepless and fitful night.

In between the tossing and turning my mind took me on flights of fancy with associations I may not have considered in a more fully conscious state.

Surfing is a Taoist activity that brings one across the edge of the civilised construct and into the actuality of the wild.

Once you have seen this place for what it is, you can never go back.

Methinks your cold sweat is prompted not by the threat but by the desire for the situation.

Oh damn, now my eye is twitching!...I need a nap.[​IMG]

5. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Currently, freelance electrical engineering design work for a company that sells consumer audio products.

In the past:

DJ

In the future:

Launching my own line of studio equipment 2007

Is your consumer audio high-end stuff or mainstream?

6. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Senior member

NR, your distress has caused me a sleepless and fitful night.

In between the tossing and turning my mind took me on flights of fancy with associations I may not have considered in a more fully conscious state.

Surfing is a Taoist activity that brings one across the edge of the civilised construct and into the actuality of the wild.

Once you have seen this place for what it is, you can never go back.

Methinks your cold sweat is prompted not by the threat but by the desire for the situation.

Oh damn, now my eye is twitching!...I need a nap.[​IMG]

Nearly twenty years ago while on vacation surfing in Puerto Rico, I had an extremely vivid dream that a huge shark came up right underneath me and bit me clean in half. When I described the dream to a friend the next day, he explained that the Native Americans believed that if you had a dream about being eaten by an animal, then that was your spirit animal and it would protect you. I've never worried about sharks since, but that picture still freaks me out.

7. horton

horton Senior member

I'm fairly sure that pic is on the internet as one of the verified urban legend, doctored photo types of things

8. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

I am 15 years old, and yes I do make a living for myself [​IMG]
    I work at the library shelving books and working in customer service, and I also work at my church occasionally. Pays out well overall, I'm saving up for a trip to Venice (if the girl I love is still around) and if that doesn't work, London. Plus saving for a nice gift for her before she leaves for college. Otherwise I don't have too much to spend on!

Brian

9. swisloc

swisloc Well-Known Member

10. johninla

johninla Senior member

I'm a screenwriter.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I am 15 years old, and yes I do make a living for myself [​IMG]
    I work at the library shelving books and working in customer service, and I also work at my church occasionally. Pays out well overall, I'm saving up for a trip to Venice (if the girl I love is still around) and if that doesn't work, London. Plus saving for a nice gift for her before she leaves for college. Otherwise I don't have too much to spend on!

Brian

There aren't any nice girls that attend your church? Don't give gifts to people who won't appreciate them, it's a waste of your heart and your money.

Jon.

12. JetBlast

JetBlast Senior member

Hey I recognize you! [​IMG] No, there aren't any girls at my church I am interested in, in that way. Giving certain people gifts makes me feel good, even if my Cartier ring I gave the person in my other thread is on the bottom of the river!

Brian

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Hey I recognize you! [​IMG] No, there aren't any girls at my church I am interested in, in that way. Giving certain people gifts makes me feel good, even if my Cartier ring I gave the person in my other thread is on the bottom of the river!

Brian

The problem is that I think she might you at the bottom of the river (metaphorically speaking); all I'm trying to do is help you out and getting you moving onto the next thing. [​IMG]

Jon.

14. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Aside from the college gig, I'm a public policy analyst at a statewide research institute (sponsored by a university).

15. polarbear

polarbear Well-Known Member

i'm currently unemployed...looking for a job in manhattan...anyone want to help?? [​IMG]

16. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

Young lawyer, going back to school in the fall to get an MBA, and am hopefully going to use the dual degree to snag a job a Goldman or one of its Manhattan relatives.

17. flashback

flashback Senior member

I work for rock bands on tour, doing various things that all fall under the title of "band assistant".

I used to be a graphic designer. No, I don't miss the daily grind.

edit: I still do freelance design in my off hours

18. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

JB for the love of god, no matter how much you love to give extravagant gifts do NOT waste that kind of money on a girl when you are your age. It is not worth it especially if you two are not even dating. You will look back and regret dumping that kind of money that you could have spent on say a decent car when you get your license (which opens up all kinds of doors to different girls)

19. epa

epa Senior member

I was actually wondering the same... what kind of job do you need in order to be able to buy all that stuff some people on SF buy... all these Brioni suits and alligator loafers...
    I observe that a lot of you do technical or legal work.
    I am a patent attorney, and I basically do a mix of technical and legal work.
    I am not one of those guys with those Brioni and Kiton based wardrobes...

20. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I do wireless support for an IT consulting company.