• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Deem as Worthy of Paying Full Price For?

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paying full retail gives you selection. Looking for deals gets you factory seconds, rejects, end of lines. I have no problem paying retail for high quality items made by properly paid domestic workers.
Only if you're an idiot who doesn't realize that you can find discounted first quality items fairly easily

Last edited:

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I am "marsupialed" because when I see something on sale I view it as..."unwanted" and don't even consider buying it.

That makes no sense to me. If something is on sale, it means there is an excess of inventory usually. Some things are in fact unwanted and discounted to try to con someone into buying them, but there are plenty of retailers who are trying to make room for a new seasonal lineup that are willing to part with things for a discount or that may have produced an excessive amount of a product that does in fact sell pretty well.

I mourn for the children. Does no one think of them?

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Only if you're an idiot who doesn't realize that you can find discounted first quality items fairly easily

That is actually not true for everyone. It can be very difficult to get wardrobe staple items for people with average sizes in many cases. I have done so at times but also have noticed that 40R/40S items tend to sell out quickly and be more difficult to get on sale. More power to you if you luck out as I sometimes have, but the odds of scoring a quality staple item on sale differ significantly based on size and other factors.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything made to measure or bespoke -- shirts, suits, shoes, coats, etc.

I've noticed that SF members have a good know-how to purchase items at a discount. But what are some items that you would pay full price for? What are worthy of your every penny?

1. Suits 

2. Shirts

3. Ties

4. Shoes

5. Watches

6. Others

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
Your first suit and your first good shoe should be bought for full price. After that, it's much more reasonable to find a well-fitting used or sale item.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[COLOR=FF00AA]Only if you're an idiot who doesn't realize that you can find discounted first quality items fairly easily[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF00AA] Agreed.  The notion that buying dicounted means you are confined to buying factory seconds / rejects is indeed idiotic.[/COLOR]

BaldwinP

Reaction score
With retail prices in Australia for menswear being what they are and a lack of availability and a lack of pressure on retail prices, I wouldn't pay full price on much these days here. Quality underwear is one, there is no substitute and it makes such a difference in comfort that I wish I'd realised as a younger man that the best investment you can make in your clothes is quality underwear. Quality shoes are another- there's just no substitute for trying on shoes and finding the perfect fit in both comfort and looks, and you can't do that from a photo on the internet (but if I needed a 2nd pair on the same last, it might be different).

OTR suits, shirts, etc... nah, full retail is for people with money to burn, no idea, or a desperate need that can't wait for a sale. There's almost always a sale somewhere. I still buy some things retail and not on the Internet, but only when there's a sale.

Happy to pay "full price" on the Internet for a good thing, but that's not really the same as full retail, at least not by Australian standards....

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your first suit and your first good shoe should be bought for full price. After that, it's much more reasonable to find a well-fitting used or sale item.

concurred

katastrofa

Reaction score
While I wouldn't go as far as the sentiment expressed in the famous quote : "Strangers, heed my wise advice,-- Never pay the Retail Price.", I usually try to find discounted goods. I paid retail for my watch, though.

kasakka

Reaction score

I take it item by item. There are some things that I see and don't mind paying full price for (either because I really like them or because the full price is reasonably low).

The same for me. Also sometimes items that are a combination of reasonable price but unique enough that you would not find a similar thing easily (for example the fabric is unique). Obviously any MTM stuff is generally full retail and don't mind that at all.

Then there are some things I would not buy even discounted because the discounted price will still be absurdly high. I imagine Hermes belts even at 50% discount would still cost several hundred bucks which to me is absurd for a belt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads