1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Do You Deem as Worthy of Paying Full Price For?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rudals1281, Mar 19, 2013.

1. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

He's just stoking a fire. I'd be willing to bet that he's taken a peek or two into one of the "When's the next sale at X store" threads on this forum.

2. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Suits 

I have tried many suits for many years. Most often than not, the jackets fit well or close to perfect, but the pants never seemed to fit the way I wanted. The leg opening are usually too tapered, rise too low or waist too tight fitting, and that is my reason of abandoning them altogether. If there is one thing I am picky about, it is the pants. I eventually stopped trying. It was only when I gave Tom Ford a chance a few years ago because of the massive hype, that took me by surprise.

I have discovered that they fit really well in every aspect. The jacket fitted well and more importantly, the pants fitted really good. In Base A, the leg opening can be too wide off the rack but it gives you the luxury of altering it the way you want it to be.
    I like this aspect of it, I wish other houses does this and if they did, I would have bought from them.
    And I must say this:- TF pants (wool/ wool-cashmere) is definitely one of the most comfortable pants I have ever tried on, having tried so many of them over the years. I have also been getting comments on how great of a quality those pants are from my tailor, in terms of cloth and construction. I don't know much about tailoring but my respected tailor must have seen something special that I may have missed. I have been bringing so many pants of diff brands over the years and we hardly made any decent conversation but these repeated comments came as a surprise. Very reassuring that I am paying for quality.

I own close to 10 pairs of TF suits now. Almost 3/4 of them I bought discounted - some of them heavily discounted, others not so much (labels all intact, not cut/ red-marked :p) . And bought the rest full price, with one MTO. It is a shame that discounted TF for my size does not come by often. A matter of chance and keeping my eyes peeled for it pays off.

Would I pay full price? If there is a particular cloth/pattern that I really like, I would pay full price RTW/ MTO/ MTM. I am by no means rich or well off, but if I were to make a full price purchase of such calibre, it would be either a pair or two annually. That is my limit. I have decreased my needs now having quite a few in rotation unless something special come along.

That said, I am more than happy to pay full price for a TF tux for my upcoming wedding. :)

With the price, as some might ask, I might be better off economically doing a MTM by other house . I must be honest that I have never done a MTM in my life. It would take a leap of faith to be able to submit myself to a MTM. I have heard great things about it. Perhaps, I may just take that leap of faith. But for now, it will be from Tom Ford. That much for brand loyalty.

Shirts

Discounted most of the time.
    In Australia, we have Rhodes & Beckhett - Egyptian cotton - made in Vietnam. Fits really well for me and comfortable for work. Half price or I won't buy.
    TF mostly discounted. I have obtain a few full priced over the years. Usually in HK.

Ties - Almost always discounted with a few exceptions of E. Zegna ties.

Shoes - Full price for G&G, Bally. The rest mostly discounted.

Watches - Always discounted. Best place for luxury watches is in Singapore and HK. Dubai has good prices but I havent made any there.

3. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

AE seconds? Jesus was last seen wearing "handmade" footwear.

Satan wears only 1st quality high end clothing and foot wear. He get the friends and family discount from most retailers :devil:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  4. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Paying full retail gives you selection. Looking for deals gets you factory seconds, rejects, end of lines. I have no problem paying retail for high quality items made by properly paid domestic workers.

2 people like this.
  5. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

Just to put it in perspective, words from an Affiliate Vendor.

1 person likes this.
  6. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

Only if you're an idiot who doesn't realize that you can find discounted first quality items fairly easily

7. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

I mourn for the children. Does no one think of them?

8. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

That is actually not true for everyone. It can be very difficult to get wardrobe staple items for people with average sizes in many cases. I have done so at times but also have noticed that 40R/40S items tend to sell out quickly and be more difficult to get on sale. More power to you if you luck out as I sometimes have, but the odds of scoring a quality staple item on sale differ significantly based on size and other factors.

1 person likes this.
  9. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Anything made to measure or bespoke -- shirts, suits, shoes, coats, etc.

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Agreed. The notion that buying dicounted means you are confined to buying factory seconds / rejects is indeed idiotic.

11. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

Your first suit and your first good shoe should be bought for full price. After that, it's much more reasonable to find a well-fitting used or sale item.

12. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]

13. BaldwinP

BaldwinP Senior member

With retail prices in Australia for menswear being what they are and a lack of availability and a lack of pressure on retail prices, I wouldn't pay full price on much these days here. Quality underwear is one, there is no substitute and it makes such a difference in comfort that I wish I'd realised as a younger man that the best investment you can make in your clothes is quality underwear. Quality shoes are another- there's just no substitute for trying on shoes and finding the perfect fit in both comfort and looks, and you can't do that from a photo on the internet (but if I needed a 2nd pair on the same last, it might be different).

OTR suits, shirts, etc... nah, full retail is for people with money to burn, no idea, or a desperate need that can't wait for a sale. There's almost always a sale somewhere. I still buy some things retail and not on the Internet, but only when there's a sale.

Happy to pay "full price" on the Internet for a good thing, but that's not really the same as full retail, at least not by Australian standards....

14. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

concurred

15. katastrofa

katastrofa Well-Known Member

While I wouldn't go as far as the sentiment expressed in the famous quote : "Strangers, heed my wise advice,-- Never pay the Retail Price.", I usually try to find discounted goods. I paid retail for my watch, though.

16. kasakka

kasakka Senior member

The same for me. Also sometimes items that are a combination of reasonable price but unique enough that you would not find a similar thing easily (for example the fabric is unique). Obviously any MTM stuff is generally full retail and don't mind that at all.

Then there are some things I would not buy even discounted because the discounted price will still be absurdly high. I imagine Hermes belts even at 50% discount would still cost several hundred bucks which to me is absurd for a belt.