What Do You Deem as Worthy of Paying Full Price For?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by rudals1281, Mar 19, 2013.

1. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

I've noticed that SF members have a good know-how to purchase items at a discount. But what are some items that you would pay full price for? What are worthy of your every penny?

1. Suits

2. Shirts

3. Ties

4. Shoes

5. Watches

6. Others

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013

2. Stiva

Stiva Senior member

Please add watches at No 5 so we can enjoy the full suite of inanity.

3. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The "gotta have it!" factor of any given item wll rarely overcome my innate aversion to paying full retail, but when it does, such items won't belong to any particular class or category.

4. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

Oh gosh! I'll start...

1. Suit - E. Zegna
    6. Others - Hanes boxers and under shirts from Target

5. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

There are some things that you simply cannot, nor should you expect to, find at discount. This either leads to paying full price or realizing that you cannot afford it. Settling and/or buying just because something is "on sale" is an easy way to find yourself up to your eyeballs in shit you don't want or won't wear.

FWIW, the SF culture of "demanding a deal" that you reference was created during the peak years of the recession when there were tons of luxury and designer goods to be had on the cheap. Sellers here and elsewhere were getting away with highway robbery buying wholesale. Unfortunately, these deals are no longer as common, and so many are forced to chase the same thrill by buying ugly and unnecessary things.

Tread lightly. MSRP is not your enemy.

6. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Such as? Assuming we're talking about RTW clothing, here. I wouldn't want to buy a deeply discounted pacemaker. And I wouldn't expect a half-price sale on a bespoke suit.

7. bourbonbasted

In terms of RTW there are a number of limited run or collaboration items that simply won't ever see a reduced price as they are in high demand. Then there are artisan items that are so specialized or hard to find that there's no way you can expect a discount once you do. Trust me, it's easy to find many OTR or RTW things that you won't find discounted. Now, if we're talking about used or thrifted items, I'll bow out, as I have next-to-no experience there.

That said, I have the majority of my purchases made for me these days, so I've also gotten away from the culture of getting a deal. The things I do find on sale are much more by chance and I have to talk myself into needing/wanting them (i.e. I wanted a patch-pocket navy blazer, but this besom-pocket blazer is pretty close, and a great deal). I rarely know exactly what I want and find it on sale in the same foul swoop. By settling I've found I just set myself up for failure as it's only a matter of time before I realize the "replacement" item just isn't exactly what I wanted.

If you're lucky enough to either not be that picky or to find exactly what you want on sale every time, then good on you. You're luckier than me. However, the culture of chasing a deal lends itself much more readily to frivolous expenditure and eventual buyers' remorse than a larger initial expenditure that addresses all expectations.

8. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Senior member

Considering I just purchased two staple Canaili suit at full retail - ill say suits....also, don't think I have ever found a pair of Carmina's on sale and I have 4 pair.

I would never pay full retail for a watch and my local AD would not let me do so, which is why he is "my" AD....

9. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

Firstly it is a good watch, Not only good 'quasi-luxury' watch comes with a heavy tag, but they do worth every penny since they do outlast you and can be past on to the next generation. Secondly it is shoes, I can say how much more elegant is a pair of bespoke shoes, the upper do last solid 10 years or above, and except the normal creasing, sole can always be reattached. I have a sting on buying fabrics, bespoke tailor and shirts on the budget.

10. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I buy everything full price. If it happens to be on sale great. I don't haggle with people either. Being thrifty is not an attractive quality in a man.

11. suited

suited Senior member

12. bourbonbasted

When Jesus comes back he'll be wearing AE seconds. Hope you boys are ready.

13. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

I have implemented a process that will elongate the lives of my shoes even further. I wear my "nice" shoes only inside the office and wear my "[email protected]" shoes outside from work to home.

14. rudals1281

rudals1281 Senior member

that reminds me...I gotta go visit the Last Call that just opened up in my area for suits cus I think I have enough of "premium" suits...but that will change sooner than I can reply to your post

15. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

+1. Most of all my clothing is at full price except for a few shirts and ties that I happen to find on discount. I've found that most of the items I like and in my size are rarely on discount.