• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you all think of this leather jacket fit?

stylenomad8

Reaction score
16465812_1104294889693923_5215780955385495552_n-jpg.1482501

This seems like mostly the same jacket as what OP has though? They're both minimalist cafe racers.

Just a better picture.
Thanks for these examples.
I think they're totally different jackets. The odd placement of the zipped pocket in the OP's example just reads "design by committee" to me. The minimalist style also feels very modern. The Aero cafe racer is rooted in a workwear history. Plus, the OP's jacket is made from what looks to be lambskin; the Aero is cow. Both will drape and read very differently when worn.

Thanks. What's better, lambskin or cow? I'm certainly taking notes and weighing things out - but is the jacket I link not very good? (It's my first leather by the way - but I'm open to just checking other options as well if this is going to be my first one!)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they're totally different jackets. The odd placement of the zipped pocket in the OP's example just reads "design by committee" to me. The minimalist style also feels very modern. The Aero cafe racer is rooted in a workwear history. Plus, the OP's jacket is made from what looks to be lambskin; the Aero is cow. Both will drape and read very differently when worn.
I'm probably biased due to my negative experiences with leather jackets, but while there is a difference, I don't think it's enough to matter.

I had a cafe racer like that that everyone loved, and was an uncomfortable POS due to being thick horsehide.

Leather jackets look great when they look a little too slim, but that makes them inherently not comfortable at all.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. What's better, lambskin or cow? I'm certainly taking notes and weighing things out - but is the jacket I link not very good? (It's my first leather by the way - but I'm open to just checking other options as well if this is going to be my first one!)

Generally, lamb skin will be softer.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Neither is better than the other. It just depends on what you want. Lambskin is a very soft, supple leather. Cow is heavier, thicker, and stiffer.

Goat is somewhere in the middle. Horsehide is also thick and stiff.

These materials just drape and move differently. If you want a very modern, non-rugged jacket, you'll probably want lambskin. If you want something more rugged looking, you'll want cowhide or horsehide.

stylenomad8

Reaction score
Neither is better than the other. It just depends on what you want. Lambskin is a very soft, supple leather. Cow is heavier, thicker, and stiffer.

Goat is somewhere in the middle. Horsehide is also thick and stiff.

These materials just drape and move differently. If you want a very modern, non-rugged jacket, you'll probably want lambskin. If you want something more rugged looking, you'll want cowhide or horsehide.
Makes sense. Also, how come some of the leather jackets I see online are a bit more "shiny" than others while the one I attached has a semi-matte finish? Do I have to apply any leather conditioner or whatever to make it "shiny"? (By the way, I still haven't made up my mind on what style of leather jacket I'll be getting!)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Makes sense. Also, how come some of the leather jackets I see online are a bit more "shiny" than others while the one I attached has a semi-matte finish? Do I have to apply any leather conditioner or whatever to make it "shiny"? (By the way, I still haven't made up my mind on what style of leather jacket I'll be getting!)

The shininess of the jacket can be a result of a finishing applied to the top of the leather, sometimes to smooth out imperfections. It may also be a nautral character of the leather, as some leathers are smoother and have fewer pores, which results in a shinier surface. Horsehide is naturally shinier than goatskin, for example.

I don't recommend putting leather conditioner on leather jackets, as they don't really need it and, depending on the conditioner you get, you can actually mess up a jacket in this way. The only jackets that really need conditioner are very old vintage ones, which may have dried over time. But those will be heavy workwear styles, which it sounds like you're trying to avoid.

stylenomad8

Reaction score
The shininess of the jacket can be a result of a finishing applied to the top of the leather, sometimes to smooth out imperfections. It may also be a nautral character of the leather, as some leathers are smoother and have fewer pores, which results in a shinier surface. Horsehide is naturally shinier than goatskin, for example.

I don't recommend putting leather conditioner on leather jackets, as they don't really need it and, depending on the conditioner you get, you can actually mess up a jacket in this way. The only jackets that really need conditioner are very old vintage ones, which may have dried over time. But those will be heavy workwear styles, which it sounds like you're trying to avoid.

I see. For a complete leather jacket novice like me, what kinds or types of leather jacket would you recommend me going for? Is it as simple as 'avoid' lambskin and go look for the slightly more rugged 'cow hide' ones? (I'm just trying to get an idea on what to 'Google' in terms of jacket styles to shop for, ie, "Cowhide leather jacket shops in NY"

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see. For a complete leather jacket novice like me, what kinds or types of leather jacket would you recommend me going for? Is it as simple as 'avoid' lambskin and go look for the slightly more rugged 'cow hide' ones? (I'm just trying to get an idea on what to 'Google' in terms of jacket styles to shop for, ie, "Cowhide leather jacket shops in NY"

Just save photos of outfits you like. Develop an eye for what looks good on you. Find different brands and try on different things. Let aesthetics guide you, not these rules about different leathers or whatever.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it isn't so much about any rules for certain leathers, but how the qualities of the leather fit your purpose.

If you need something more durable, I'd suggest goatskin, horsehide, etc. Only you can judge this properly, as we don't know your daily activities.

I guess that's my take-away: choose clothing for your lifestyle.

stylenomad8

Reaction score
Just save photos of outfits you like. Develop an eye for what looks good on you. Find different brands and try on different things. Let aesthetics guide you, not these rules about different leathers or whatever.

Thanks. Alright gents. I appreciate your input - now I'm off to find the ultimate leather jacket for ME :)

stylenomad8

Reaction score
Thanks. Alright gents. I appreciate your input - now I'm off to find the ultimate leather jacket for ME :)

I lied. I'm back. Is Asos a good shop to check out? Or should I try stay clear from them when it comes to leather jackets?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others may disagree, but I've found The Fedora Lounge pretty good for knowing basically all the different leather jacket styles, brands, and fits and guiding you to the right direction.

Scramm

Reaction score
Hey - I was also searching for a leather jacket a while back. I'd like to second FlyingHorker's recommendation of The Fedora Lounge, the folks there are very knowledgeable about leather though IIRC they do have a bent towards slightly more vintage cuts and styles.

ASOS is not particularly known for quality leathers - taking a quick look at their site, they don't even mention what kind of skin their leather is made of, which is a bit of a red flag. Are you looking primarily at moto style stuff like cafe racers, or are you looking more for bombers like A2's and A1's? Also, do you have a budget in mind?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I lied. I'm back. Is Asos a good shop to check out? Or should I try stay clear from them when it comes to leather jackets?

Definitely don't do ASOS, H&M, Zara, or any of the fast fashion brands. Those jackets are awful.

Unless you're in a hurry to get a jacket, I would start by just saving photos that you like. Follow various Instagram accounts. Develop your eye and sense of taste. Then wait a year or so before actually buying a jacket. Your taste may evolve rapidly, and you may as well let your taste develop by consuming photos, rather than expensive leather jackets.

Ed13

Reaction score
[/QUOTE

I would suggest you take your time. As suggested, look at lots of pictures and try on as many as you can. Decide what details you like and the ones you can’t live with. I gave away my two leather jackets when I decided some details were not my favourite and fit was not as good as it could be so they ended up hanging in a closet. Don’t compromise on the fit.

It took about 4 years before I found one that ticked all the boxes for me last winter and purchased a second last month. Patience will get you what you want and could save a lot of money in the long run.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads