• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you all think of this leather jacket fit?

stylenomad8

Reaction score
Everything else fits like a glove but I'm a bit worried about the sleeve as I think it's a bit too long. Also, what do you think about this particular leather jacket style in general? Are 'bomber' leather jackets still in fashion?

Thank you

Attachments

• Leatherjacket.jpg
    Leatherjacket.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 245

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think you can find something better, but that jacket also doesn't look bad. I just don't think it looks great.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Stop obsessing about the sleeve length. It's ok and the jacket looks fine on you unzipped. I'm curious how it looks zipped.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is it because the sleeves are a bit too long? Do you think the sleeves aren't the perfect fit?

I think the sleeves are fine. Leather jackets don't have to fit like tailored jackets. The body looks like it could be a little tight, but hard to know without you zipping the jacket.

The jacket just has a generic mall vibe, like what you'd find at Macy's.

If you're just starting to build a better wardrobe, I think a jacket like that can be fine until you move onto other things. If you already have a wardrobe that you're satisfied with, I would just keep browsing until you find something better. Try to figure out where you want to take your wardrobe. That jacket style feels neither here nor there. It's just sort of generic modern bland, like Everlane or Theory.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the sleeves are fine. Leather jackets don't have to fit like tailored jackets. The body looks like it could be a little tight, but hard to know without you zipping the jacket.

If you're just starting to build a better wardrobe, I think a jacket like that can be fine until you move onto other things. If you already have a wardrobe that you're satisfied with, I would just keep browsing until you find something better. Try to figure out where you want to take your wardrobe. That jacket style feels neither here nor there. It's just sort of generic modern bland, like Everlane or Theory.
Thanks for not saying "All Saints".
Btw, I was at my lens dew? due? doo? place today.
He said he can do gradient, and he's seen the JMM PCH.

stylenomad8

Reaction score

I see. What makes a leather jacket not "too generic"? Are leather jackets meant to be "loud"? I'm just not sure if I can carry the Brando-style jackets. I was kinda going for the subtle leather jacket that's not too "bad boy" vibes but maybe that's counter-intuitive? I don't know maybe I should just go all-in ;)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see. What makes a leather jacket not "too generic"? Are leather jackets meant to be "loud"? I'm just not sure if I can carry the Brando-style jackets. I was kinda going for the subtle leather jacket that's not too "bad boy" vibes but maybe that's counter-intuitive? I don't know maybe I should just go all-in ;)

It's hard to answer that question, but I think it's about the total outfit and having a point of view.

Leather jackets do, admittedly, have a sort of dangerous, rugged vibe. And in response, some guys want just a little bit of that association without going full biker or Brando, as you put it. So then certain outfitters make the most boring jacket as possible to appeal to as many people as possible. But then the outfit just feels too stripped of any character or style.

This is sort of modern, but feels like it has more direction. The jacket is rooted in a trucker/ shirt jacket style, but has been modernized. As it's worn here, the blue goes well with black pants and a mid-blue middle layer.

DY69uvIWAAY3-jb.jpg

This also feels very modern and not super rugged. Again, a modernized version of the trucker. I like tan jackets with black jeans .

tumblr_o823dxQGCS1qa2j8co2_1280.jpg

I personally like the even more rugged, original trucker version. But it depends on how rugged you want to go

65953163_2344124529161966_8278892938446354709_n.jpg

Valstar's A1, which is a type of bomber, is called their Valstarino (meaning little Valstar). It's a very clean and modernized type of bomber, particularly in suede, and can be worn with jeans, chinos, or flannel trousers

valstar-suede-jacket-and-jeans-903x1400.jpg

2-suede-jacket-and-chinos-906x1400.jpg

valstarino-and-flannels-940x1400.jpg

I also like Aero's Board Racer, but it's one step closer to a rugged style. I don't think it's full Brando, though.

16465812_1104294889693923_5215780955385495552_n.jpg

f6f9fd70-9a14-42bc-8087-27a41471791e.jpg

If you already have a wardrobe you like, I would just hold off and keep browsing. Think about the basic archetypes of men's style -- rugged workwear, dressy tailored, Americana, prep, etc. Designers often start with something classic and then move forward from there. Those archetypes are often starting places for collections. Train your eye, save photos you think are inspiring, and just try things on.

stylenomad8

Reaction score
It's hard to answer that question, but I think it's about the total outfit and having a point of view.

Leather jackets do, admittedly, have a sort of dangerous, rugged vibe. And in response, some guys want just a little bit of that association without going full biker or Brando, as you put it. So then certain outfitters make the most boring jacket as possible to appeal to as many people as possible. But then the outfit just feels too stripped of any character or style.

This is sort of modern, but feels like it has more direction. The jacket is rooted in a trucker/ shirt jacket style, but has been modernized. As it's worn here, the blue goes well with black pants and a mid-blue middle layer.

View attachment 1482492

This also feels very modern and not super rugged. Again, a modernized version of the trucker. I like tan jackets with black jeans .

View attachment 1482493

I personally like the even more rugged, original trucker version. But it depends on how rugged you want to go

View attachment 1482494

Valstar's A1, which is a type of bomber, is called their Valstarino (meaning little Valstar). It's a very clean and modernized type of bomber, particularly in suede, and can be worn with jeans, chinos, or flannel trousers

View attachment 1482499
View attachment 1482498
View attachment 1482497

I also like Aero's Board Racer, but it's one step closer to a rugged style. I don't think it's full Brando, though.

View attachment 1482501
View attachment 1482500

If you already have a wardrobe you like, I would just hold off and keep browsing. Think about the basic archetypes of men's style -- rugged workwear, dressy tailored, Americana, prep, etc. Designers often start with something classic and then move forward from there. Those archetypes are often starting places for collections. Train your eye, save photos you think are inspiring, and just try things on.

My wardrobe actually has a lot of earth tones and going for the semi-rugged look with boots, jeans and flannels. You don't suppose the jacket I linked is a bit too tame for the look I'm going for?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wardrobe actually has a lot of earth tones and going for the semi-rugged look with boots, jeans and flannels. You don't suppose the jacket I linked is a bit too tame for the look I'm going for?

The jacket is the center of attention in almost any outfit. It's what often creates the look. Boots, jeans, and flannels are kind of the foundation of many men's wardrobes. So while that jacket you linked can go with the things in your closet, so can other styles. It just depends on what kind of look you want to create.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
16465812_1104294889693923_5215780955385495552_n-jpg.1482501

This seems like mostly the same jacket as what OP has though? They're both minimalist cafe racers.

Just a better picture.

robxznyc

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Masculine, adventurous, mysterious, rugged, confident, rebellious...are typically associated with leather jackets. Does wearing this jacket make you feel in similar ways? Any garment can be made loud, though that is not an intrinsic character of leather jackets. You appear to have a solid build and thicker towards the waist, so I think it'll be more flattering if the jacket is made of a more structured skin with a more defined shape and has a wide ribbed waistband to create a waistline. You can also wear pants with more contrast to create a visual break.

stylenomad8

Reaction score
Masculine, adventurous, mysterious, rugged, confident, rebellious...are typically associated with leather jackets. Does wearing this jacket make you feel in similar ways? Any garment can be made loud, though that is not an intrinsic character of leather jackets. You appear to have a solid build and thicker towards the waist, so I think it'll be more flattering if the jacket is made of a more structured skin with a more defined shape and has a wide ribbed waistband to create a waistline. You can also wear pants with more contrast to create a visual break.
You flatter me! Thanks. Where do I find such an awesome looking jacket? Could you please clarify what you mean by "structured skin"? Is it like a textured/grained jacket instead of the "smooth" one I linked?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
16465812_1104294889693923_5215780955385495552_n-jpg.1482501

This seems like mostly the same jacket as what OP has though? They're both minimalist cafe racers.

Just a better picture.

I think they're totally different jackets. The odd placement of the zipped pocket in the OP's example just reads "design by committee" to me. The minimalist style also feels very modern. The Aero cafe racer is rooted in a workwear history. Plus, the OP's jacket is made from what looks to be lambskin; the Aero is cow. Both will drape and read very differently when worn.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Masculine, adventurous, mysterious, rugged, confident, rebellious...are typically associated with leather jackets.

Paired with a wolf t-shirt, an irresistible combination of masculinity with panache. The ladies will go nuts!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads