Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What do wear with "natural" linen suit for wedding?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sooner, Jul 19, 2009.

1. sooner

sooner Member

I'm getting married next May in the Caribbean (late afternoon/early evening on the beach) and myself and my groomsmen are most likely going to be wearing this natural colored linen suit (ignore the mannequin's tie and shirt as best you can). I need to figure out what shirt, tie, shoes and belt we're going to wear with it and need recommendations on all. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

1) Don't force everyone to wear the same suit/shirt/tie combo. There is no need. You will all look better if you don't.

2) You would be best off in a white shirt and some kind of pale/pastel tie. Check out these solids from Drake (they start on page 2):

http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefro...root=1&show=97

3. sooner

sooner Member

Thanks. I was actually thinking about something like a white shirt and the solid mint/light blue tie on the site you posted. As far as all wearing the same, the suits are already a done deal. One thought I had is for us all to wear the same shirts and for me to wear one colored tie while the groomsmen wear a different colored tie?

Shoes and belts?

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Thanks. I was actually thinking about something like a white shirt and the solid mint/light blue tie on the site you posted. As far as all wearing the same, the suits are already a done deal. One thought I had is for us all to wear the same shirts and for me to wear one colored tie while the groomsmen wear a different colored tie?

Shoes and belts?

Just tell them to wear what they want, shirt and tie-wise. If you are afraid they have appalling taste, specify that the shirt has to be solid white or blue (or maybe pale pink). You could also buy ties to give them but for God's sake don't get them all the same one.

A suit like that calls for white shoes, or tan, or spectators. Mid brown at the absolute darkest, and I wouldn't do that if I could avoid it.

5. kuwisdelu

kuwisdelu Senior member

Just tell them to wear what they want, shirt and tie-wise. If you are afraid they have appalling taste, specify that the shirt has to be solid white or blue (or maybe pale pink). You could also buy ties to give them but for God's sake don't get them all the same one. A suit like that calls for white shoes, or tan, or spectators. Mid brown at the absolute darkest, and I wouldn't do that if I could avoid it.
    +1 Exactly what I was thinking. If you want, specify some guidelines like these--solid white or blue shirt, white/tan to mid-brown shoes, etc.--and all should be good. I don't think one can get a tie too terribly wrong with that kind of combination, barring some kind of brain trauma...

6. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

7. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

A suit like that calls for white shoes, or tan, or spectators. Mid brown at the absolute darkest, and I wouldn't do that if I could avoid it.

For general use, I agree, but I probably wouldn't wear spectators to a wedding.

I also wear #8 shell with a linen suit that's more or less that color.

8. BoomDiggs

BoomDiggs Senior member

Just tell them to wear what they want, shirt and tie-wise. If you are afraid they have appalling taste, specify that the shirt has to be solid white or blue (or maybe pale pink). You could also buy ties to give them but for God's sake don't get them all the same one.

Why are you against the prospect of the men wearing the same tie? This was something I was going to do for my own wedding in Sept. I will have one color tie and the groomsmen will all have a matching different tie. I have always been under the impression that male wedding party attire should be as much like a uniform as possible.

9. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Why are you against the prospect of the men wearing the same tie? This was something I was going to do for my own wedding in Sept. I will have one color tie and the groomsmen will all have a matching different tie. I have always been under the impression that male wedding party attire should be as much like a uniform as possible.

I second the above -- I'd want the men wearing the same suit, shirt (white or pastel blue, pink, etc.) and matching ties (your choice). Since you have specified the suit, you are already putting some consistency into the look. Different shirt/tie combinations will look a mess IMO.

Twotone

10. Phlexrayon

Phlexrayon Member

I'm doing slightly darker linen suits for my wedding off the coast of Barbados in a couple months. I got all my groomsmen the suits, and have specified a white shirt. For ties, I've gave them a colour scheme to play in, but allowed that to be their point of individuality. As it happens, they all got to talking and found an amazing selection of ties that fit perfectly within the overall look and feel.

11. instep

instep Senior member

+1

Better to have them perfectly matching or not matching at all, rather than a sorry compromise between the two.

12. sooner

sooner Member

I second the above -- I'd want the men wearing the same suit, shirt (white or pastel blue, pink, etc.) and matching ties (your choice). Since you have specified the suit, you are already putting some consistency into the look. Different shirt/tie combinations will look a mess IMO.

Twotone

I initially thought the same but I've seen some wedding photos where all were wearing the same suits as well as shirts and ties (where but the shirts and ties are different colors) and it actually looked pretty good. Our wedding party is pretty small (bestman and two groomsmen) but I can see where a large wedding party, wearing a bunch of different colors, could end up looking like a circus.

13. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

You've been under an incorrect impression. Don't get defensive just because you're doing it. Stick around the forum for a bit and you'll gain a more classic view of wedding dress.

14. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Senior member

Don't make everyone dress the same, and particularly don't micromanage ties, shirts, cufflinks etc. You'll end up looking like hotel staff.

15. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Yeah all this matching shit is ghey. Maybe have a theme (lighter colored summer suits) but beyond that let everyman do his thing. Of course offer ideas/advice if asked (many men wouldn't know where to start). Maybe matching cufflinks could be a gift from you to them.